Family Court In Phayao

15Peter20

Hi All

I need to get a document from a court proving that I'm the legal father of my 6 year old son. The address in his Tabian Bahn is in a village near Chiang Kham, Phayao so I guess the nearest family court is in Phayao city.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this court and maybe know how amenable they are to giving out such a document? I've read from other posters that some family courts will grant the required document if I just show up with the mother (who I'm not legally married to) and child and pay a small fee.

Thanks for any info anyone can give on this.

15P

Myself and my wife used Phayao to get the paperwork sorted so we could apply for visas for my step daughter to leave the country as her real dad is a loser and hasn't seen her since she was born. They were very helpful and even pointed us to a solicitor just down the road from court so we could get the papers notarised and then we just brought it straight back to court and two weeks later we got papers back and got our approval. You should be fine mate.

Edited by irlguy1

Myself and my wife used Phayao to get the paperwork sorted so we could apply for visas for my step daughter to leave the country as her real dad is a loser and hasn't seen her since she was born. They were very helpful and even pointed us to a solicitor just down the road from court so we could get the papers notarised and then we just brought it straight back to court and two weeks later we got papers back and got our approval. You should be fine mate.

Thanks. Your post has given me that familiar old feeling of soaring hope mixed with 'This Is Thailand' warning signs.

Could I just ask a couple more things. I live in Chiang Mai so can't turn up easily at the court any time I like. Did you have to make an appointment with someone in particular or did you just arrive at a reception desk unannounced and were led through the whole process?

Also, I'll take my passport and the relevant Tabien Bahns etc, but is there any other paperwork you needed to take, that you can remember?

Thanks again.

15P

Paul888 - Thanks for that. Somehow I didn't think it could be that easy but will just have to go along and find out. Maybe ring them first, but even then might not get an accurate response.

brianmarinus - Having read the dedicated thread in TV about getting a non-O visa based on having a Thai child without being legally married, it appears that a court document proving the fact is the preferred paperwork that Thai Embassies/Immigration need to see in order to grant/extend it.

Blood test (or dna test) won't help in this matter. I already tried that one.

In some provinces this document can be obtained from the Amphur rather than the court, but Phayao Amphur said they didn't have the power in my case because my daughter's mother is deceased.

As you and your girlfriend could both attend, you may get lucky in the Amphur and I would definitely try that first. The guy at the "reception" will probably say it is not possible, and put his nose back into facebook, but keep talking and ask to see his boss. (the old guy in the office behind). He seemed reasonable to me and at least listened to our case before sending us off to the family court.

Also, take your son with you.

• Like 1

I have found the staff at the Aumphur in Phayao very helpful. The guy at reception mentioned above does seem a little aloof but he was very helpful when we were married and applied for my yellow book.

The other thing can your wife transfer the childs residence to your local address.

Blood test (or dna test) won't help in this matter. I already tried that one.

In some provinces this document can be obtained from the Amphur rather than the court, but Phayao Amphur said they didn't have the power in my case because my daughter's mother is deceased.

As you and your girlfriend could both attend, you may get lucky in the Amphur and I would definitely try that first. The guy at the "reception" will probably say it is not possible, and put his nose back into facebook, but keep talking and ask to see his boss. (the old guy in the office behind). He seemed reasonable to me and at least listened to our case before sending us off to the family court.

Also, take your son with you.

Thanks again. I would go straight to the ampur but according to advice on this thread:

it seems that for the purposes of extending a non-O visa based on being the father of a Thai child, a court document is of particular importance. Will probably end up going to the ampur eventually but will drop in at the court first, especially since being in Phayao city it's on the route between Chiang Mai and Chiang Kham (the ampur in question).

Do you know by any chance remember the name of the road in Phayao where the Family Court is located? Thanks again.

Thanks. Your post has given me that familiar old feeling of soaring hope mixed with 'This Is Thailand' warning signs.

Could I just ask a couple more things. I live in Chiang Mai so can't turn up easily at the court any time I like. Did you have to make an appointment with someone in particular or did you just arrive at a reception desk unannounced and were led through the whole process?

Also, I'll take my passport and the relevant Tabien Bahns etc, but is there any other paperwork you needed to take, that you can remember?

Thanks again.

15P

No appointment necessary mate we brought all of the above and had no hassle.

I am guessing that irlguy1's experience in Phayao was not that recent.

I made a similar enquiry there last month and they told me that they were scheduling preliminary dates something like 2 months ahead.

We did it in September. We just showed up and were seen straight away.