Are Accidents Like This Common Here?

inapeartree

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason they keep going is because they would be put in jail if they stop.Everyone knows if they run the chance of being caught is slim,and the charge is probally no more for driving away from accident.Only a falang would stop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Unfortunately not always true, a Westerner hit a member of my Thai family , who died a day later. The guy driving did a hit & run, but a witness noted his number plate and he was arrested.

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was told that this used to be the case. Also that if a motorbike and bicycle were in an accident, it was autmatically the fault of the motorcyclist. Apparently this rule was thrown out atr about the same time that law was made that motorbikes have to have headlights switched on permanently.

Now ... there seems to be some mis-understanding between what I wrote and what you have watched in the Video.

I haven't watched the Video and have no desire to do so either ... not do I usually rubberneck at an accident scene.

There seems to be some inferred conclusion by the OP that the rule of the road to is adhered to by the majority of drivers here ... and that is just pure fallacy.

When I said 'who ever is the biggest' has right of way ... well that's the way it sort of works over here.

The quantum leap of logic that I then condone a truck running over and innocent person is ridiculous.

For example, yes, I'm sure that the car is supposed to stop for you at the pedestrian crossing ... but just try that here.

See if you have 'right of way' in this circumstance. you might be 'legally' right ... but you may also be legally' dead if you try this.

There is a unique Thai driving style ... as there is in every country.

The people who stay here long time or live here understand that ... the rest is up to you to learn about driving here.

I have no interest in watching the video, so I am unable to comment on this particular accident.

I ride a motorbike regularly and it does seem to me that many of the drivers of larger vehicles believe that they have more right to be on the road than those on 2 wheels. They seem to believe that it is up to the 2 wheeler to get out of the way rather than that they should avoid them.

I'm the driver of a pickup and it appears the total opposite to what you say. Motorcycle rider have absolutely no regard for vehicles on the road and expect to be given way to, even when they are totally in the wrong. When I asked my GF the reason for this, she said "you bigger than them, up to you to watch out".

I think it depends on your point of view in the car i think motorcycle drivers are crazy and on the bike i think car drivers are crazy. So i think there are a lot of dangerous drivers both car and bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I've heard Thais don't put the same value on life as most western countries.

A long term Samui resident died of terminal cancer a few years back, she was quite well known and loved by both the local Expat and Thai inhabitants.

I'd known her for a few years and her death happened whilst I was away from Samui the contrast in how the Thai's and Expats had handled it a few weeks after her death on my return were markedly different.

Edited by spacedcowboy

I have no interest in watching the video, so I am unable to comment on this particular accident.

I ride a motorbike regularly and it does seem to me that many of the drivers of larger vehicles believe that they have more right to be on the road than those on 2 wheels. They seem to believe that it is up to the 2 wheeler to get out of the way rather than that they should avoid them.

I'm the driver of a pickup and it appears the total opposite to what you say. Motorcycle rider have absolutely no regard for vehicles on the road and expect to be given way to, even when they are totally in the wrong. When I asked my GF the reason for this, she said "you bigger than them, up to you to watch out".

I think it depends on your point of view in the car i think motorcycle drivers are crazy and on the bike i think car drivers are crazy. So i think there are a lot of dangerous drivers both car and bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Fair enough comment.

I see many idiot motorcyclists joining from a side road without looking.

Some of the worst moments I have had is when 4 wheeler do U turns from the opposite carriageway directly across my path, especially when 2 or 3 go at once and completely block my way and I have no choice but to brake . They must see me, but decide to go anyway.

Of course the trucks with double trailers will just pull out no matter what is coming, because they are so much bigger than the cars.

Looks like he just didn't even register the fact that they were there. He wasn't even squeezed over by a car going in the other direction.

Then no-one else bothered to stop. Pretty terrible, but not really surprising, unfortunately.

Edited by NBD

I do find the attitude to death, and accidents in particular, troubling in Thailand. On my first visit to Issan a few years back, I drove past 2 seperate accidents, both horrific and a sight that kind of ruined my holiday. Bodies strewn across the road, covered in blood. What I found most shocking was the attitude of locals, who where clambering to take pictures of the carnage.

My fiances family regularly post pictures on facebook of accidents they have come across which disturbs me. Even on Thai news you will see dead bodies uncovered so I can see why they are used to it. This simply couldnt happen in the UK without outrage!

On the topic, everytime i drive to my ladies home I see several accidents, usually from overloaded lorries or un-roadworthy vehicles. Makes you think.

Regular hit and run, unfortunately.

Happens too often here.

Drivers just take off.

However, in this case, the truck does not mow down the people.

They are hit on the side somewhere behind the wheelhouse.

You clearly see one person running over the street to assist, just a few seconds later. He also make a call.

Passing cars seem to slow down as they see the commotion.

One more person arriving, then the clip stops.

At least some positives here, as we see actually somebody that cares.

After i stopped feeling sick from watching the clip....I replayed it and the corner of the front of the body of the truck is where they were collected. How bloody horrible....

As I've posted in other threads regards Thai driving, it seems to me that most Thais have very little spacial awareness and of stopping distances when braking. Just today I had a Thai motorbike driver driving towards me on his side of the road & then just turned sharp right across the front of my car to get to a shop. Emergency braked & all was good, but just insane careless driving. Another example is motorbikes tailgating within a meter of the rear of your car. Have had two rear end accidents in past six months when forced to brake by cars pulling out from a side road, luckily the Thai drivers were not seriously injured.

To answer the OP's question, yes fatal accidents due to careless driving are very common and not just the domain of Thais. OP in case you don't know about 75% of the approximately 12,000 road deaths in Thailand last year were motorbike drivers and their passengers.

• Like 1

According to the other paper, the driver, Boonchuer Ngam-plod, was quickly arrested, about 2 kilometres from the scene. He was later released on bail posted by a C-7 state official.

GOOOD!!!...but I bet he is back driving at present....this bail system is a farce

My other half's brother was telling me a few weeks ago that bikes of any sort have the right of way.If you're driving a car and you hit a bike then the car driver is at fault,even if the bike pulled out in front of you or whatever.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also that if a motorbike and bicycle were in an accident, it was autmatically the fault of the motorcyclist. Apparently this rule was thrown out atr about the same time that law was made that motorbikes have to have headlights switched on permanently.

Well, from personal experience, I'm not sure that this "rule" has been "thrown out". sad.png

Also that if a motorbike and bicycle were in an accident, it was autmatically the fault of the motorcyclist. Apparently this rule was thrown out atr about the same time that law was made that motorbikes have to have headlights switched on permanently.

Well, from personal experience, I'm not sure that this "rule" has been "thrown out". sad.png

Well, as most police are probably not aware what are actual laws and what is generally accepted, depending on which policeman is responsible for attributing blame. you may be right or you may be wrong. Who knows for sure?

This is what me other half's brother says as well,which is probably why he says that the biker has the right of way.

Seems to be some confusion about the law.Suppose it doesn't really matter because the only law that seems to be adhered to on the roads in Thailand is "me first".

People have to ride bikes, but heck it's just frightening how dangerous it really is. If the driver stopped after running them over and by the looks of it, killing the child, I think the Thais may have beaten him to death on the spot, and he really would have deserved it. I'm thinking making licenses to drive heavy vehicles need a royal inquiry. The driver seemed to have no idea how close he was to the cyclist. How many other people has he killed and how many more? These types of drivers must be like truck born serial killers. How many people would this type of driver harm over the course of his driving lifetime? Could it be a small number of drivers are responsible for the bulk of the yearly road toll?

You're right I think. It is simply a case of incompetance, many drivers are actually motorcyclists at heart, and they drive larger vehicles in the same way as they rode a m'bike. This driver appears to have only rudimentary driving skills and no road-craft at all. He is not likely to improve unless he gets some instruction which is unlikely, so I fear he will go on to be responsible for more accidents as long as he is on the road.

I have observed that in countries where driving is rudimentary, drivers don't see the lines on the road and in other countries, drivers see lines even when they are not there. The driver who knocked over the cyclist and daughter would have mentally created a lane for her if he had any skill at all, she was as close as she could have been to the side and there was no traffic preventing him from going round her, disgusting.

In fairness, I would say most Thai drivers are pretty reasonable about bikes and motorbikes. It might sometimes seem tight but they usually give enough room. This guy obviously just didn't see them at all, didn't move an inch to avoid them, and then didn't stop once he'd done it. I suspect he was fiddling with his phone or half asleep.

Well, as most police are probably not aware what are actual laws and what is generally accepted, depending on which policeman is responsible for attributing blame. you may be right or you may be wrong. Who knows for sure?

I just have to check my bank account to to know. sad.png BTW, it was my wife who was driving the motorbike.

your wrong

Yes, I watched that video and the driver must have known he hit the people on the bicycle because he hit the brakes. Maybe when he saw in his mirror what he'd done he decided cowardice was the best option and he high tailed it.

Disgusting behaviour IMHO.

I guess I'm just a dumb broad then. I rented a Honda CBR 250 and just took a road trip down from Chiang Mai to Nakhon Sawan. It was a great ride today, but my butt is sore. I can't say I saw anything unusual in the way of traffic. The highway is pretty good and mostly 4 lanes all the way. The big, slow trucks stayed to the left, the motorscooters stayed right along the edge of the road, while all the pickups and private cars went blasting down the passing lane. I passed all the trucks and busses, and the cars and pickups passed me. Nobody did anything foolish and it all seemed normal on a busy highway. Maybe tommorrow will bring something different. I was able to ride along between 90 and 115 km/hr and didn't feel the need to go faster. I gassed up about every 90 km just to give my butt a rest.

the driver clearly breaks (lights) so knows he hit someone. however keeps driving. pickups cars m/cycle pass and nobody stops. disgusting.

Living the dream in the land of smiles? Buddhist's? Things here really need to change. Amazing Thailand...
  • Like 1

Just after I arrived in Thailand about two and a half years ago there was an accident caught on a traffic camera at a round about somewhere in Bangkok, in this accident a m/bike and a truck were on a round about late at night, the truck was in the inside lane turned to exit the round about knocking the motorbike over and driving over the rider with both sets of rear wheels, the truck driver slowed using his brakes and then continued on his way, cars and motorbikes passed by, most slowed to have a look before driving off, a police car was also caught on camera slowing for a look before continuing on its way, it was fifteen minutes before anyone stopped to help, too late for the rider. The truck driver handed himself in to the police about a week later after having seen the footage on the news and suddenly developing a conscience, never heard anything about the police who did a bit of rubber necking even though the officer incharge of the traffic devision said he was going to find the offending officers. I Don't know whether the Thais put a low value on other people's lives or have grown numb to the road death toll or a comination, but like other countries you get some who will stop to help while most carry on deliberately not seeing, and you also get the spectators who make it hard for those who want to help, such as the volunteer emergency services.

Sent from my GT-I9003

The reason they keep going is because they would be put in jail if they stop.Everyone knows if they run the chance of being caught is slim,and the charge is probally no more for driving away from accident.Only a falang would stop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Unfortunately not always true, a Westerner hit a member of my Thai family , who died a day later. The guy driving did a hit & run, but a witness noted his number plate and he was arrested.

Sorry for your loss. Some Westerners love to revert to the lowest common denominator, which, for the record, wasn't established by Westerners. It's vital that we continue to use our brains, and common sense while driving, unlike the Thais and some Westerners. Just let's drive a vehicle and behave like at home, and not like savages just because we visit a region of low standards, and no respect for human lives.

• Like 2

David48: I also have no interest in watching but ... the rule of the road here is quite rudimentary ... the larger vehicle has right of way. Have you ever seen motorbike in Thailand drive. They think they have right of way all the time, pull out in front of you, and expect you to stop when you clearly have right of way and are much bigger. This is such sad footage.

No it's just easier for the police to not do their job.

• Like 1

I know a Thai guy that got hit by a truck off his motorbike. The truck driver reversed back not to help but finish him off. The guy actually survived but to this day he is not good lucky to be alive. Plenty of us know its frikn scary riding motorbikes in Thailand.