At Least 27 Dead In Connecticut School Shooting - Cbs News

News_Editor

I can see that there are some pro-firearm folks in this forum too but I have a feeling that even they will probably agree with this suggestion of mine : Don't let ANYONE (except people in the army or the police force or folks with a very good reason to own more than 1 firearm, of course) own more than 1 gun (or rifle or whatever). This would be a good start, I think !

Do you seriously believe that US gun owners would trade in their existing weapons as in Australia? In any case 40% of weapons purchased do not require a permit from a State agency e.g. Montana & Kentucky so the government would not even have a reasonably accurate database of who owns the weapons to monitor compliance with legislation; details at http://crime.about.c.../gunlaws_mt.htm

sadly a very distant dream to control weapons ownership

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn. has sparked a surge in gun sales, according to independent arms dealers across the nation.

Robert Caselnova, who owns a Connecticut gun shop located less than 10 minutes from the school, said firearms flew off his shelves over the weekend, with multiple requests for AR-15 style rifles, a weapon Adam Lanza used in the Newtown massacre. Caselnova said he knew the Lanzas and that the mother and son had visited his store in the past, separately, but never made any purchases.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2317522.html

sick.gif 20 innocent children from 5-7 years old and 6 adults are murdered and some people start buying even more guns?

"...with multiple requests for AR-15 style rifles, a weapon Adam Lanza used in the Newtown massacre." ?

Something fundamentally is sick and wrong and more people will be hurt or worse in the future sad.png

* from the link http://www.huffingto..._n_2317522.html

Statistcally, I don't think a ban on so called asault weapons is going to accopmplish a lot. Have a look at these numbers from the FBI, out of all the homicides, all rifles, not just assault rifles, accounted for a small percentage.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn. has sparked a surge in gun sales, according to independent arms dealers across the nation.

Robert Caselnova, who owns a Connecticut gun shop located less than 10 minutes from the school, said firearms flew off his shelves over the weekend, with multiple requests for AR-15 style rifles, a weapon Adam Lanza used in the Newtown massacre. Caselnova said he knew the Lanzas and that the mother and son had visited his store in the past, separately, but never made any purchases.

Same thing happened before 1994 ban went into effect. Cut off supply, these weapons could increase in value.

Listening to congress women on Squak Box, I am curious how people think second amendment applies to assault weapons when inky thing available at time law was passed was single shot musket.

We should destroy all guns and reissue these NRA guys muskets. I doubt that would give them their maucho feeling. This issue is perhaps 20 percent about protection and 80 percent about psychological need to feel like a man.

They are probably stocking up before assault weapons are banned.

Need to stock up their underground bunkers.

• Like 1

Just listened to two senators, (both members of the NRA) who said this latest massacre changes everything and they suggest starting to talk about making changes regarding semi automatics and cartridge magazines. I think one was from West Virginia, didn't catch where the other one was from. It might change everything, but unless Obama starts moving and shaking before it gets forgotten, it will just become a bad memory.

Joe Scarborough?

http://www.huffingto..._n_2315100.html

Joe Scarborough has already "left" town. He was formerly a member of the House and left politics in 2001.

He is now an anchor for a show on that far left cable network, MSNBC.

sick.gif 20 innocent children from 5-7 years old and 6 adults are murdered and some people start buying even more guns?

"...with multiple requests for AR-15 style rifles, a weapon Adam Lanza used in the Newtown massacre." ?

Something fundamentally is sick and wrong and more people will be hurt or worse in the future sad.png

Statistcally, I don't think a ban on so called asault weapons is going to accopmplish a lot. Have a look at these numbers from the FBI, out of all the homicides, all rifles, not just assault rifles, accounted for a small percentage.

http://www.fbi.gov/a.../10shrtbl08.xls

Your statistics show that 8.700+ people (out of almost 13.000 homicides) were murdered with firearms in 2010.

4,221 were murdered without guns

If they would NOT have had those guns, at least a large percentage of those 8,700+, murdered with firearms, would still be alive...

Now it will always be the question: how many?

Your statistics show that 8.700+ people (out of almost 13.000 homicides) were murdered with firearms in 2010.

4,221 were murdered without guns

If they would NOT have had those guns, at least a large percentage of those 8,700+, murdered with firearms, would still be alive...

Now it will always be the question: how many?

LaoPo, we can try to ban every weapon of every type, and I'm pretty sure some law abiding citizens would surrender theirs, I have serious doubts that any of the criminals would. That's one of the points some seem to miss in these discussions.

LaoPo, we can try to ban every weapon of every type, and I'm pretty sure some law abiding citizens would surrender theirs, I have serious doubts that any of the criminals would. That's one of the points some seem to miss in these discussions.

Oh sure, but if firearms are hard to get, the NUMBER of killed people will decrease, no doubt.

Oh sure, but if firearms are hard to get, the NUMBER of killed people will decrease, no doubt.

NO.

NO.

I'm most interested in your reasons for NO...coffee1.gif

If a country (US) has a very limited number of firearms in private possession instead the 270 million now, the murders and killings will go down dramatically but you say NO?

hmmm

Tell that to the folks in Happy Valley, Oregon

Tell that to the folks in Happy Valley, Oregon

I'm pretty sure they understand the guy just would have used a different type of weapon if an AR type weapon wasn't available. Just ask the families of the other 8,000 people that were shot last year. But, that point seems to be missed by many in this thread.

Edited by beechguy

I'm pretty sure they understand the guy just would have used a different type of weapon if an AR type weapon wasn't available. That point seems to be overlooked by many here.

But tragically the AR-15 was available in a store or gun show near you, with 30, 60 or 100 round magazines, or the more bulky drum magazines if you insist...just what every untrained civilian "needs".

Or how about a Barrett 50 sniper rifle (again available in many states for almost any civilian, and of course to carefully chosen Irish terrorists) to pick off your "deer" at 1000 metres+ , if you knew what you are doing, (but sadly Barrett don't produce ammunition that won't rip your deer apart and spoil the trophy). Having been at the receiving end of one of these delights I can assure you that it has no place in any civilian hand.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic

Apart from wishing to commit mass murder, what other "justification" is there for a civilian to own an AR-15?

How about being attacked by a gang of thugs with weapons? Having to cock your pistol or rifle after every shot would get you killed for sure if you were facing more than one assailant. An AR 15 is nothing special. It is just a gun that does not have to be cocked after every shot.

I'm pretty sure they understand the guy just would have used a different type of weapon if an AR type weapon wasn't available. That point seems to be overlooked by many here.

But tragically the AR-15 was available in a store or gun show near you, with 30, 60 or 100 round magazines, or the more bulky drum magazines if you insist...just what every untrained civilian "needs".

Or how about a Barrett 50 sniper rifle (again available in many states for almost any civilian, and of course to carefully chosen Irish terrorists) to pick off your "deer" at 1000 metres+ , if you knew what you are doing, (but sadly Barrett don't produce ammunition that won't rip your deer apart and spoil the trophy). Having been at the receiving end of one of these delights I can assure you that it has no place in any civilian hand, let alone being sold to terrorist organizations with the aim of killing fellow NATO soldiers, plus the occasional policeman (final score was 7 dead British soldiers plus 2 policemen just in case you were interested, thanks Barrett corporation).

And I guess that would prove gun control doesn't always work in Ireland doesn't it. The fact is the CT shooter chose to use the rifle, instead of the handguns he had with him. I have no doubt he could have killed just as many with those handguns, considering their magazines can hold 13-17 rounds, and a 10mm or 9mm is plenty powerful to kill an adult.

An OPINION piece from an Australian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinion

America, don’t repeat Australia’s gun control mistake

11:01 AM 01/19/2011

Ben-Peter Terpstra

After the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, media hysteria and bipartisan political support for punishing gun owners increased. As a consequence, our gun laws were tightened.

We could have all responded like rational human beings and grieved for the deceased (35 in all). Instead, militant anti-gun activists viewed the massacre as an opportunity, and set out to punish freedom.

...and the article concludes with...

Gun control is a myth, or rather a mountain of myths sustained by campaigning elites in secure buildings with armed bodyguards: the myth that if law-abiding citizens hand their guns over to the big government to burn, then we will enter a new peace; the myth that if we feel that we are gun controllers, then we are humanitarian citizens even when statistics undermine our self-praising image; and the myth that punishing thousands of farmers and sporting shooters, for the crimes of others, will bring healing. But we (meaning anti-gun Australians) were (and are) wrong.

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2FSbD1uUu

• Like 1

Apart from wishing to commit mass murder, what other "justification" is there for a civilian to own an AR-15?

How about being attacked by a gang of thugs with weapons?

And of course that is a daily event in Newtown, CT or similar such neighbourhoods across the USA? So much so that every soccer mum needs a minivan and an AR-15 with all the latest accessories for those ambush situations and firefights on the school run..

http://www.surefire.com/mag5-100.html

• Like 1

Or how about a Barrett 50 sniper rifle (again available in many states for almost any civilian, and of course to carefully chosen Irish terrorists) to pick off your "deer" at 1000 metres+ , if you knew what you are doing, (but sadly Barrett don't produce ammunition that won't rip your deer apart and spoil the trophy). Having been at the receiving end of one of these delights I can assure you that it has no place in any civilian hand, let alone being sold to terrorist organizations with the aim of killing fellow NATO soldiers, plus the occasional policeman (final score was 7 dead British soldiers plus 2 policemen just in case you were interested, thanks Barrett corporation).

And I guess that would prove gun control doesn't always work in Ireland doesn't it. The fact is the CT shooter chose to use the rifle, instead of the handguns he had with him. I have no doubt he could have killed just as many with those handguns, considering their magazines can hold 13-17 rounds, and a 10mm or 9mm is plenty powerful to kill an adult.

Really, you apparently don't know too much about energy transfer and muzzle velocity of various weapons. .223 at 2700 + is going to shatter bone and emulsify organs and tissue. People survive multiple hits from 9mms and pistols unless using 5.70. Hits from high MVs maim if not kill.

There is a reason the Bushmaster was selected. Even if they only cause a 1,000 deaths a year, there is no legimate purpose for one in a civilized society. The danger these impose far outweighs any benefit.

Yeah, they need to do away with clips larger than 10 rounds in handguns also. The problem is getting this crap off streets, but the solution is not to sell more. That is some backwoods logic of the Knob Creek boys.

How about being attacked by a gang of thugs with weapons? Having to cock your pistol or rifle after every shot would get you killed for sure if you were facing more than one assailant. An AR 15 is nothing special. It is just a gun that does not have to be cocked after every shot.

Haha, that is ridiculous. This rates up there with the guns don't kill people stuff. AR-15 shreds flesh and holds a lot if flesh shredding bullets.

Seriously, are you going to be strutting around the streets with your AR-15 everyday for rest if your life just in case you get surrounded by the Bloods or the Crips. Stay off crack and out of their hood and you will probably completely safe. Sounds like movie Fallen Down. All we need are crackpots walking around the streets with Assault Weapons.

Truth is, dudes carry guns to compensate and feel manly. See Psychology Today article I posted a page back to see the real deal with the need for guns. Has nothing to do with protection. That's just excuse.

An OPINION piece from an Australian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinion

America, don’t repeat Australia’s gun control mistake

11:01 AM 01/19/2011

Ben-Peter Terpstra

After the Port Arthur massacre in 1996, media hysteria and bipartisan political support for punishing gun owners increased. As a consequence, our gun laws were tightened.

We could have all responded like rational human beings and grieved for the deceased (35 in all). Instead, militant anti-gun activists viewed the massacre as an opportunity, and set out to punish freedom.

...and the article concludes with...

Gun control is a myth, or rather a mountain of myths sustained by campaigning elites in secure buildings with armed bodyguards: the myth that if law-abiding citizens hand their guns over to the big government to burn, then we will enter a new peace; the myth that if we feel that we are gun controllers, then we are humanitarian citizens even when statistics undermine our self-praising image; and the myth that punishing thousands of farmers and sporting shooters, for the crimes of others, will bring healing. But we (meaning anti-gun Australians) were (and are) wrong.

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz2FSbD1uUu

This persons information is completely incorrect. Shooters can be licensed in Australia to obtain weapons such as rifles & shotguns, but with some constraints. Have a look below & tell me why the USA gun lobby cannot accept similar restrictions rather than a rant.

An example; Category C Semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. Category C firearms are strongly restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and some clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms. For details for all categories and restrictions on weapons categories in Australia, go to http://en.wikipedia....cs_in_Australia

Edited by simple1

How about being attacked by a gang of thugs with weapons?

And of course that is a daily event in Newtown, CT or similar such neighbourhoods across the USA?

It does not need to be a daily event. If your family is attacked once by a number of assailants, an AR 15 or a Glock could be the difference between life and death.

Haha, that is ridiculous. This rates up there with the guns don't kill people stuff. AR-15 shreds flesh and holds a lot if flesh shredding bullets.

If a gun is meant to protect against armed criminals, shredding flesh is the whole point.

If a gun is meant to protect against armed criminals, shredding flesh is the whole point.

Your no better than them if you want to go around shredding flesh. Maybe if more if mankind was focused on things other shredding flesh we won't have 27 dead.

BTW, was that the whole point to shred as much flesh as possible with these 20 first graders. Did we really need .223 walking into that school?

If violent criminals attack my family, I want to put them out of action and a musket is not going to be much help.

I can buy the argument about getting rid of ALL guns, but not the one about only banning semi-automatic weapons. Single shot weapons are not very good for self-defence. The problem is that getting rid of all guns at this point in the US is next to impossible and criminals will still be armed to the teeth. .

Edited by Ulysses G.