Bricked My Laptop While Installing Ubuntu 12 :/

davejonesbkk

So I wanted to format my old laptop which used to have Ubuntu 10 on it and Windows 7 (32 bit I think).

I downloaded the latest version of ubuntu and set it up to boot from a USB drive. I then booted from the USB drive, as I wanted to remove everything from my laptop I choose for the old Ubuntu 10 and Windows 7 to be removed and a fresh install of Ubuntu 12 to be setup, everything ran perfectly during the setup, I created my username and pw etc etc, then at the end it said I needed to restart which I did. After it restarted it froze on a startup screen showing Acer and F2 <setup> and F12<boot options>, I waited and waited, nothing happened, tried both the options, again nothing.

I then manually switched it off and tried again, same thing, tried another time with the USB stick removed, still nothing. By now I realised that something had gone wrong, I couldnt get off this screen and the laptop wasnt booting from the USB drive or anything so I grabbed my old Win7 disc to attempt to boot from that and install it, DVD drive wont open, nothing happens when I press the button. OK now Im in trouble....

Im out of options here, can anyone help? Would be much appreciated as I need to go away soon and must have access to a laptop

My Laptop:

Acer Aspire

Intel i3

2GB RAM

Prior to this it had the following OS:

Ubuntu 10

Win 7 - 32 bit

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Thanks guys, got the disc drive open via the hole, same thing as above when win 7 disc in. All I get every time is Acer screen with F2 setup and F12 boot options but neither work when I press them. Tried with WIN7 disc in, with USB ubuntu drive in again and without, always the same.

Are there no factory resets on these things?

Hi,

I had this problem heaps on various dual-boot installs. Found how to resolve. Try this:

1 reinstall Ub from your usb (assume you created it with unetbootin?), using the option 'do you want to totally wipe this disc' or somesuch...

2 have a coffee, whatever the present recommendation is....

3 here is the catch:

<it said I needed to restart which I did. After it restarted it...>

4 rather than restart the f***er, close it down.

5 then remove the usb.

6 Restart without usb in there, update etc., should be sweet.

Good luck, AA

Start fresh.

Boot the the Ubu liveCD (from your pendrive, check the boot order in your BIOS).

When the install program reaches part about preparing the disk, go into the partition tool and create a new partition table. This will zap the existing one.

Do some research on multi-boot and partitioniong if not familiar with this.

Proceed with install.

Hopefully this will result in a fresh, bootable system with no MBR ambiguity. At least this will get you past your brick problem.

If you want a dual-boot system with Windows you'll have to install Win first, but you can always go back. First things first.

Not sure if my previous post is clear (or drunken carp),

but what I found worked

- after installing Ub alone, or as a dual-boot after installing win, via a usb created with unetbootin

- at the prompt to restart

Shut down your system (ie, avoid clicking 'restart now' or some such) and take out the usb.

Then boot-up.

Thus far, always works for me on older systems (32-bit).

If this doesn't work, drinks are on me (if you can make it to BanSaphan).

Cheers, AA

Can you open your BIOS settings? If so get a liveOS of some sort to boot from a CD or USB. Otherwise remove HDD and attach it to another linux machine and use command-line to wipe and overwrite the entire disk.

If you can not set BIOS boot order you have a more basic problem.

Take the battery and RAM out and leave the machine overnight. Clean RAM contacts and install the minimum. Replace battery and click ON. Can you now get to set the BIOS boot order? If so, see above, if not you are down to possibly replacing the cmos battery and/or flashing a new BIOS.

Yep kept it.

I will put Win7 back on for now as need to have a working laptop asap and will look at adding ubuntu later. Would it be better to put the older Ubuntu 10 on as thats what it had before?

If it worked ok before it's probably a sensible thing to do... ;)

I've mentioned this in other posts, that Ubu went through some ill changes after 10.

For me 11 was a headache, went back to 10.

12 has a whole new interface, if you love your iPhone and game console it might be for you.

Otherwise check out Mint, Ubu-based but with a more familiar interface.

personally i would recommend you try out anything BUT ubuntu - since you already have some experience you should experiment with something else. my current favorites to recommend are crunchbang, archbang and recently again antiX (now that they have a 64 bit beta). all very lightweight, well supported and easy to use. also mint's debian edition, which is a little heavier but very nice.

OK well im sticking with Win 7 for now as Im going away soon and cant risk screwing up my laptop again, I will look into the other options in the new year, thanks for all the help.

All the OS information is inside the HDD's. If you were able to install W7 to the old one, then you can use the new HDD for testing linux. I'm using Kubuntu 12.10, which is ok.

Next time when you buy a new hard drive, consider SSD. The speed difference is huge.

• 1 month later...