I Need Some Help.

Super Villian

I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years now, she is thai and i am english. we were living in australia but our visa's have finished. i have been in bankok for the last month looking for any sort of work so i can stay in thailand. we have around 1.5 maybe 2 million batt and would like to start our own business but really dont know what is possible with this amount. Can anyone please give me some information on how i can stay in thailand and what business i should think about

thanks

I suggest you look for work, any work that allows you to live on your salary until you make a decision, any biz to a Thailand newbiw is fraught with danger and you may lose all your capital. If your GF is well qualified she may earn up to 30K, add say another 25K for your first teaching job, you will have enough between you to live quite well while you get first hand experience of LOS and all its pitfalls.

I have been with my girlfriend for 2 years now, she is thai and i am english. we were living in australia but our visa's have finished. i have been in bankok for the last month looking for any sort of work so i can stay in thailand. we have around 1.5 maybe 2 million batt and would like to start our own business but really dont know what is possible with this amount. Can anyone please give me some information on how i can stay in thailand and what business i should think about

thanks

Not the sort of question that can be easily answered in a short post.

For starters, to work in Thailand, you need a work permit. My understanding is that you have to be sponsored by a company that employs at least 4 Thai employees, before that company can sponsor 1 farang employee. (They can't be fictional employees either, as the company may have to prove that salaries have been paid as well as the appropriate taxes and social fund payments).

A number of people (usually bar owners it seems) have been arrested for being caught working in their own bars, even doing simple things like cleaning a table.

What is your field of expertise ? It may be possible to start a company and hire enough legitimate employees to meet the legal requirements, and then have your company sponsor you for a work permit.

Careful how you do it though. Your company has to be majority owned by Thais. If you don't set it up properly, you could end up getting screwed (usually just about the same time as you've commited your life savings to the venture). There is too much detail about company set-up to get into here.

Another thing to remember is that Thailand maintains a list of occupations that are not open to foreigners (for example, real estate agent or bathroom attendant).

One of the first adages I heard after coming to Thailand:

If you want to make a small fortune in Thailand, start with a big one.

(In other words, if you start with a big fortune, by the time you realize you are getting screwed, you may be able to escape with a small fortune !)

There should be an ex-pats club in Bangkok where you would be able to do some networking and get some detailed advice in person. Also, check some of the topics in these forums:

Thai visas, residency and work permits

Jobs, economy, banking, business, investment in Thailand

Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership

Good luck !

The thing is i am young, only 22. my GF has a degree in thailand and has been studying corporate law and business law in australia for a year or two. she can pretty much get a good job if she wants. Im just worried about what i can do as i cant speak any thai. She said just get a job as a dj or something but that doesn't really apeal to me as she wants to plan a future including children. I am very worried, i had to leave thailand yesterday and i am back in the UK she is still in thailand with her family and very upset. I need wisdom.

hmm. work permits. I guess there's no way i can get around this matter. i cant see myself getting a work permit as i cant speak any thai and am only 22. Is there any way i could stay if we were married? and our business was only in her name?

Would i still be able to work for the business?