Mexican Bbq

TS79

Got a craving for some mexican food and bbq ribs. There used to be a place called BBQ Hut which was on 200 Pee Road near the south end, then they moved further north on 200 Pee road near Sai Nm Yen intersection. This place seems to have closed now. Does anyone know if they have moved and re-opened somewhere else? I seem to remember a post which says there is a place opposite the old safari club going towards karon but cannot find it.

For Mexican, I would check out any of the stuff Big Bills stock at the Deli Market. It’s better than any of the Mexican I have had in Thailand. Ribs? Let us know, I would love some good ribs, South Carolina style, but will settle for anything good.

BTW, I’m not related to Bill.

For Mexican, I would check out any of the stuff Big Bills stock at the Deli Market. It’s better than any of the Mexican I have had in Thailand. Ribs? Let us know, I would love some good ribs, South Carolina style, but will settle for anything good.

Gonna go to BBQ hut tonight so will report how the ribs are tomorrow, but they always used to be good there.

How is the taste? Are these places run by Mexicans doing food for Mexicans or by people from US doing the food for US taste?

As far as I remember the Mexican food is generally pretty simple and tasty. Taco Bell stuff is like Thai food made for farangs. Lots of cheese and no real taste.

How is the taste? Are these places run by Mexicans doing food for Mexicans or by people from US doing the food for US taste?

As far as I remember the Mexican food is generally pretty simple and tasty. Taco Bell stuff is like Thai food made for farangs. Lots of cheese and no real taste.

As far as I know none of then have any Mexican nationality input. Blue Fin was Ray, a Canadian I believe. Moo is the ex wife of Don, an American. Los Amigos, not sure, I thought he is a Brit ??

You are correct Taco Bell is just fast food, US style. But I wish we had a Taco Bell here on Phuket Island. Better still wish we had a Chiquitos of the UK fast food franchise.

The same problem exist with any western food restaurant in Thailand. If the owner is not there supervising the operation and checking on customers then the Isan factor will sneak into the operation. Thai-Mex is usually not so good. When you go to these restaurants ask if the farang owner is there. If he is not there go on to one where the farang owner is there. How many farangs have you seen running thai restaurants. This is kind of the same situation.

• Like 1

The same problem exist with any western food restaurant in Thailand. If the owner is not there supervising the operation and checking on customers then the Isan factor will sneak into the operation. Thai-Mex is usually not so good. When you go to these restaurants ask if the farang owner is there. If he is not there go on to one where the farang owner is there. How many farangs have you seen running thai restaurants. This is kind of the same situation.

Ah Don, I miss your Cinco de Mayo nights. It was a sad day when you sold your (new) place, and I well remember your old place. You don't know me but I know you very well, we ate there often, spoke with you often.

Gonna go to BBQ hut tonight so will report how the ribs are tomorrow, but they always used to be good there.

Well, food was decent enough, enjoyed the full rack of baby back ribs although a little bit on the dry side but the bbq sauce was good. Nachos with all the trimmings were nice. Only problem was the noise from the busy road.

Ah Don, I miss your Cinco de Mayo nights. It was a sad day when you sold your (new) place, and I well remember your old place. You don't know me but I know you very well, we ate there often, spoke with you often.

Good to see you posting Don! I am in the exact same boat as LIK on all counts. For anyone that loved Don's, what's left of it is Moo's Tex Mex on the inside of the SaiYuan bend. Some of the same staff, same chef, and same great ribs!!

Los Amigos is owned by a Texan who flies to Florida when he goes home. He is there on occasion. The restaurant is up for sale as the long time cook is leaving. This was 2 months ago. May have sold it already. sad.png

By far, the most consistent of all "tex mex" restaurants on the island.

Moo's Tex Mex had an all you can eat buffet last Saturday which had ribs, beef enchiladas, chicken quesadillas, home made fried corn tortillas ( and the store bought corn tortillas) chicken and beef tacos, and caesar salad. I believe she does this every other Saturday.

PS Hi Don/

As far as I know none of then have any Mexican nationality input. Blue Fin was Ray, a Canadian I believe. Moo is the ex wife of Don, an American. Los Amigos, not sure, I thought he is a Brit ??

You are correct Taco Bell is just fast food, US style. But I wish we had a Taco Bell here on Phuket Island. Better still wish we had a Chiquitos of the UK fast food franchise.

Los Amigos is owned by an American.

Pleased to hear that after a college education and a lot of work experience she learned something. I wish all of my former employees and associates the best of luck and happiness. While in semi-retirement in Chiang Rai with a small cafe I wish I could live my life over again in Phuket. I would work harder and try to do a better job.

Pleased to hear that after a college education and a lot of work experience she learned something. I wish all of my former employees and associates the best of luck and happiness. While in semi-retirement in Chiang Rai with a small cafe I wish I could live my life over again in Phuket. I would work harder and try to do a better job.

I do not think you have anything to regret. A successful NASA engineer and a successful businessman in Thailand. Perhaps you were too generous/easy with your staff, but that is to your credit.

don where is your restuarant located in chiang rai?

don where is your restuarant located in chiang rai?

Don is a sponsor on Chiang Rai forum. Click on his ad banner for details. www.donsfoods.com

My favorite Donism to his staff from his Phuket days, " If you've got time to be leanin, you've got time to be cleanin'.

• Like 1

Don't forget the other Donism, "If you are not walking you are not working". God they hated to hear me say this plus "if you have time to lean you have time to clean". This is not a form of current farang Thaism. I wonder what it would take to encourage people to be motivated to work. I tried my best for 30 years in Thailand but I can't show a lot of results of my working and encouraging my employees. I did what I thought I should do to help people but it washed off like water on a ducks back.

Keep umcuming.

• Like 1

Don's Cafe, Bakery and Market is located in Baan Doi Hang 7 km west of the Chiang Rai city on the south side of the river. We are across the road from the Doi Hang Temple. This is on the road to the National Park, Water Falls and hHot Springs. It covers 5 Rai. We have a small bar and dinning sala sits between two lakes overlooking the mountains and rice fields. We process Mexican pepper sauce and corn meal to send to Bangkok. Come and go fishing. Call 081 894 6401 for further directions. At age 79 I have succeeded in keeping a good business from being a big business. Our main object is to provide good food and a fun place for enjoyment. It is estimated that by the year 2020 we will break even. So far in 7 years there has not been much progress in doing so but we eat well and the fishing is good.

And Ray of Bluefin was and still is American. Joe, who came after Ray for a short while, was Canadian. Then I think it was a Swede or Scandi had it for a while, now it's run by his ex named Suk. As far as the Mexican food goes, it still has the same quality it had 12 years ago under Ray, IMO. Los Amigos was designed after Bluefin, according to Bluefin.

I do not think you have anything to regret. A successful NASA engineer and a successful businessman in Thailand. Perhaps you were too generous/easy with your staff, but that is to your credit.

And now fluent in Chinese, yes Don?

Edited by NomadJoe

And Ray of Bluefin was and still is American. Joe, who came after Ray for a short while, was Canadian. Then I think it was a Swede or Scandi had it for a while, now it's run by his ex named Suk. As far as the Mexican food goes, it still has the same quality it had 12 years ago under Ray, IMO. Los Amigos was designed after Bluefin, according to Bluefin.

Terry (an American) who's owned Los Amigos for many years now, did have a partner in the beginning that was a Californian.I don't remember his name. I saw Terry the other night, but really didn't have time to catch up with the whole scene these days.

Edited by Jimi007

Thanks for that. I was never sure about Ray's exact nationality. The Canadian flag above his bar made me wonder, plus his softer spoken North American accent. I remember Joe, he did not last long w00t.gif . As I understand it there was partnership of Swedish guys owning/managing the Bluefin for a long time. I would agree that the taste & quality of the Bluefin has remained much the same in the almost 17 years I have eaten at the Bluefin. One of the first places I ate during my first ever week here, also the original Anchor Bar (Nigel RIP), and the long ago Dive Cafe on the bend (Tania Rd) that's now a 7/11 these many many years.