Asiatique Dual Thai/falang Pricing Gets Some Pushback!

Baloo22

For things such as government hospitals and parks it makes perfect since for the local tax payers to be given discounted pricing, They effectively pay for these resources with their taxes so why should they be subsidising foreigners?

Private businesses, up to them. If you don't like it vote with your feet or with social media which seems to be having an effect more and more in Thailand.

So if the taxpayers money 'effectively pays for these resources', what does the money they charge (take from) foreigners pay for?

'Effectively' that is.

The Director General's daughter's birthday present Merc coupe maybe?

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!!!!!!! maybe we can also stop the tradition of dual pricing with one price for Thai people and a higher price for Foreigners for medical care. In Satahip Naval Hospital there is a posted sign on the cashiers window, it says "Foreigners will be charges 50% more". Please respond if any info is available........

Quite right too, do you think they want all the local white mongers from Pattaya coming for cheap treatment with their short time ho

Do you really expect the Thai retired seaman to pay the same as Olav the retired Norwegian seaman.

Do you think a hospital in the USA for ex military wants to give Thai sextourists.

Sent from my hammock using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Johnniey

I even found dual pricing at a little coffee shop next to Suk soi 1. An espresso for Thai: 50 baht (written in Thai of course). For foreigners: 60.

I asked the waitress in Thai(incredulously): You have a higher price for foreigners? A stunned girl quickly looks at the owner and then deadpan, Chai kah.

<deleted>. Seriously.

Dual pricing is illegal.

Are you sure? What about the Grand Palace?

Many countries practice it. In Florida for example, residents get on many rides cheaper than visitors.

IN the UK too, where I come from, some golf courses give discount to locals. There's nothing wrong with it IMHO.

IN Thailand also, if you are a resident and show either work permit or tax receipt or driver's license you won't have to pay the tourist price.

I don't know about the Florida or golf courses in UK, but what really p****s me off about this subject is that many of those people who seem to support it always justify Thai double pricing by mentioning the existence of "local discounts for locals" in other countries.

In my own country, the United Kingdom, I've visited countless tourist attractions over many, many years and have NEVER, EVER seen different pricing based on nationality. Such pricing is illegal & WILL get the perpetrator prosecuted. Indeed, entrance to ALL UK National Parks (not National Trust which is an entirely different entity), most of which can wipe the floor with Thai National Parks, is free to everybody, not just UK nationals. The same goes for London's Natural History Museum, V&A Museum, Science Museum - all world class establishments - and many others. My wife certainly has always paid the same attraction entry fee as me when we go to UK for a holiday. I've even taken an elderly Thai relative to a UK tourist attraction and not only was she not penalised for being a foreigner, she was even asked by the ticket seller if she was over 60 and was given the pensioner's price when she proved her age.

If I was to visit one of those UK golf courses and could prove I met their definition of a "local", I'd get the local's price whatever my nationality or ethnicity, no further questions asked.

In Thailand, I could demonstrate that I live in Thailand by producing any or all of the documents frequently quoted and argue logically why the local's price should apply but, in the end, whether or not I get the local's price is entirely dependant on the mood of the ticket seller at that moment.

What's needed is a Thai government instruction that takes that discretion away from the ticket seller - to say that, if I can prove I live legally & permanently in Thailand, whatever my visa type/extension of stay, I WILL get local's price. Or better still, one price for all - most Thais I know here in supposedly dirt-poor Isaan, aren't as poor as they might appear.

I just don't believe any government decree will be forthcoming any time soon because the Thai government is a big part of the problem - they really believe that Thailand is so wonderful that foreign visitors, even those of us who live here, will pay anything to see some pretty second-rate attractions.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

Dual pricing is illegal.

Are you sure? What about the Grand Palace?

Many countries practice it. In Florida for example, residents get on many rides cheaper than visitors.

IN the UK too, where I come from, some golf courses give discount to locals. There's nothing wrong with it IMHO.

IN Thailand also, if you are a resident and show either work permit or tax receipt or driver's license you won't have to pay the tourist price.

I don't know about the Florida or golf courses in UK, but what really p****s me off about this subject is that many of those people who seem to support it always justify Thai double pricing by mentioning the existence of "local discounts for locals" in other countries.

In my own country, the United Kingdom, I've visited countless tourist attractions over many, many years and have NEVER, EVER seen different pricing based on nationality. Such pricing is illegal & WILL get the perpetrator prosecuted. Indeed, entrance to ALL UK National Parks (not National Trust which is an entirely different entity), most of which can wipe the floor with Thai National Parks, is free to everybody, not just UK nationals. The same goes for London's Natural History Museum, V&A Museum, Science Museum - all world class establishments - and many others. My wife certainly has always paid the same attraction entry fee as me when we go to UK for a holiday. I've even taken an elderly Thai relative to a UK tourist attraction and not only was she not penalised for being a foreigner, she was even asked by the ticket seller if she was over 60 and was given the pensioner's price when she proved her age.

If I was to visit one of those UK golf courses and could prove I met their definition of a "local", I'd get the local's price whatever my nationality or ethnicity, no further questions asked.

In Thailand, I could demonstrate that I live in Thailand by producing any or all of the documents frequently quoted and argue logically why the local's price should apply but, in the end, whether or not I get the local's price is entirely dependant on the mood of the ticket seller at that moment.

What's needed is a Thai government instruction that takes that discretion away from the ticket seller - to say that, if I can prove I live legally & permanently in Thailand, whatever my visa type/extension of stay, I WILL get local's price. Or better still, one price for all - most Thais I know here in supposedly dirt-poor Isaan, aren't as poor as they might appear.

I just don't believe any government decree will be forthcoming any time soon because the Thai government is a big part of the problem - they really believe that Thailand is so wonderful that foreign visitors, even those of us who live here, will pay anything to see some pretty second-rate attractions.

Yes, that is a big part of the problem - the government and it's image of the country and what it thinks tourists think about it. However, as more and more of us realize that we won't be gouged by going to other countries, even in the region instead, much of the appeal of Thailand will be lost. As far as I'm concerned the most sightseeing worthy attractions in Thailand are those that are free, such as it's beaches. Theme parks are out as they are either too boring for me and they just can't compete with their developed country counterparts, not to mention concerns over ride safety, once the bad taste in your mouth is overcome after either arguing your way in for the local price or paying the foreigner price with gritted teeth. Temples etc. I have already seen and I don't need to see the Grand Palace again - been there 3 times many years ago and these days it's even more ridiculous with even higher dual pricing, more tourists and the same scams operating outside. Only dumb tourists who don't mind being gouged would go there - there are plenty of temples all over Thailand that offer free entry, have no crowds and offer a more genuine experience.

There was a thread some time ago about a hotel in Bangkok that had a buffet on a very high floor, they charged extra for foreigners, be they resident in Thailand or even when accompanied by a Thai partner.

I made a comment on their Facebook page, which they ignored, but an Australian woman made a comment that she thought it was acceptable for foreign tourists to be charged more as they had more money than the Thai people, adding that Thai people couldn't normally afford to eat in such places as this.

My partner added a response that she found her comment to be patronising and insulting, the lady didn't respond.

I have never heard of such behavior by a Bangkok hotel. Could you please name and shame this hotel?

Naming and shaming is against forum rules, so no I cannot, but I'm sure you can google it if you think I am telling lies, the clue is in the "very high floor".

OK I can google it, but I don't see anything wrong with naming this hotel for other posters to see. Probably you are referring to Baiyoke though as a lot of tourists seem to have an obsession with this hotel, even though it's not that high compared to it's competitors overseas and the surrounding area is particularly gritty full of Indian clothes vendors. I have never been inside there and don't see the hype (I was going to go there with my gf once but she just didn't want to - she just thinks it's too expensive, even if everyone pays the same and probably the food isn't that spectacular anyway).

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Naming and shaming is a violation of Thai Law... Slander, libel blah blah blah...

As I understand this forum is based/hosted in Thailand, it would be subjected to Thai laws...

One could cryptically guide you to the name of said establishment but can't outright tell you in a public and open forum.

• 4 months later...

There is a thread called "Name and Shame" on Tripadvisor now, inviting members to submit the names of establishments that practise dual-pricing.

http://www.tripadvis...ad-Bangkok.html

Looks like that have targeted Siam Ocean World's facebook page for their dual-pricing...150% more for foreigners? Some comments already popping up there. This could get interesting if the social site crowd turns their attention to other dual-pricers. Here is their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/SiamOceanWorld

A little off topic, but just to note: You can get the Thai price at Ocean World if you say you live/work in Thailand. Just show your work card/visa stamp, or neither if you can speak some Thai and the cashier is easy-going.

(400 baht for locals, 900 baht for tourists).

--

As for dual pricing in general: it is not racist, it just makes economic sense. Divide your market demographic, so you can make each group of customers pay the optimal price.

It's no different to train-fares in the UK having a price for peak, and a price for off-peak. One price for leisure travellers, one for business travellers.

Hell, it is the same principle behind 'happy hour' in bars and cafes. Or any place that offers 'student discounts'.

At Asiatique and similar attractions, foreign customers are willing to pay more than local customers. With a single price it will either lose money from tourists willing to pay higher, or it will lose Thai customers who are priced out. Dual pricing allows it to make money off both groups.

I'm not saying I feel good about it, but its not racism, its just capitalism.

Edited by celso