Asiatique Dual Thai/falang Pricing Gets Some Pushback!

Baloo22

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an update from Mr. Richard Barrow: "Asiatique Backs Down on Two Price Policy after Barrage of Criticism on Social Media" This is some good reading.

I think that the lesson learned here is that in cases like this, getting mass involvement from travel bloggers, comments on sites like TripAdvisor, and social media outlets is the key. It seems that combination is what worked in this case.

Excellent web site exposing 'hidden' dual pricing:-

here

This link should feature on every tour operator, travel agent and airline website about Thailand. Kudos to the people who maintain the site. I salute the endeavour.

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but when I tried to go to the linked website (http://www.2pricethailand.com), I got a "Warning: Suspicious Site" from my McAfee Antivirus Plus. Said it "found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors." Don't know exactly what.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! maybe we can also stop the tradition of dual pricing with one price for Thai people and a higher price for Foreigners for medical care. In Satahip Naval Hospital there is a posted sign on the cashiers window, it says "Foreigners will be charges 50% more". Please respond if any info is available........

There is a thread called "Name and Shame" on Tripadvisor now, inviting members to submit the names of establishments that practise dual-pricing.

http://www.tripadvis...ad-Bangkok.html

Looks like that have targeted Siam Ocean World's facebook page for their dual-pricing...150% more for foreigners? Some comments already popping up there. This could get interesting if the social site crowd turns their attention to other dual-pricers. Here is their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/SiamOceanWorld

Edited by bubba

here

This link should feature on every tour operator, travel agent and airline website about Thailand.

Kudos to the people who maintain the site. I salute the endeavour.

I think 2Pricethailand is also the work of Richard Barrow, although I could be wrong. Regardless, it is indeed an excellent site.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! maybe we can also stop the tradition of dual pricing with one price for Thai people and a higher price for Foreigners for medical care. In Satahip Naval Hospital there is a posted sign on the cashiers window, it says "Foreigners will be charges 50% more". Please respond if any info is available........

Satahip Naval Hospital may present a different case if it is a Thai taxpayer supported institution and the charge differences are based on whether one is a resident of Thailand or not rather than simply based on race.

Yes it worked well...before it was 200b for thais and 250 for foreigners. Now it is 250 for all :)

Ok, they have discount now but after that thais pay more :)

"As a kind gesture towards all fans of Asiatique, they will also introduce a special price that will be effective from today until 28th February 2013. This will be: Adult 200 Baht"

• Like 1

Dual pricing is illegal.

Are you sure? What about the Grand Palace?

Many countries practice it. In Florida for example, residents get on many rides cheaper than visitors.

IN the UK too, where I come from, some golf courses give discount to locals. There's nothing wrong with it IMHO.

IN Thailand also, if you are a resident and show either work permit or tax receipt or driver's license you won't have to pay the tourist price.

Much ado about nothing

Citizens of Windsor in UK get cards that allow them

discounts to attractions such as Windsor castle

This is no different, just Thais make things so obvious

Personally, if there is a show double price sign, I turn

around and go home

Dual pricing is illegal.

Many countries practice it. In Florida for example, residents get on many rides cheaper than visitors.

IN the UK too, where I come from, some golf courses give discount to locals. There's nothing wrong with it IMHO.

IN Thailand also, if you are a resident and show either work permit or tax receipt or driver's license you won't have to pay the tourist price.

I went 20 times at least to California or Florida,I never ever saw a price list what says "US citizen 50$ foreigner 100$,not at disney,not at universal or other parks.It might be older or younger persons get a discount
  • Like 1

This is no 'victory' as it was described on the Facebook thread. They have increased the Thai price to meet the farang price. OK its eliminated dual pricing, but I am sure from the comments that there is Thai resentment to the change. The company will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Dual pricing is illegal.

I went 20 times at least to California or Florida,I never ever saw a price list what says "US citizen 50$ foreigner 100$,not at disney,not at universal or other parks.It might be older or younger persons get a discount

You won't see an on-site sign, but during slow seasons, Disney promotes discount prices to those that show a local driver's license.

Dual pricing is illegal.

You won't see an on-site sign, but during slow seasons, Disney promotes discount prices to those that show a local driver's license.

They don't offer discounts on daily passes, everyone pays the same high prices. Only discount for locals is for the annual pass but there are many black dates, for example to can not use on weekends all major holidays and during school breaks ect.

Edited by arkom

Dual pricing is illegal.

Really? It seems to be quite common here in Thailand. I've also seen it all over the rest of the world. Setup as a "locals" discount.

I've seen it too......a price for locals and a higher price for tourists. They know where you're from by looking at your driver's license. Universities in the USA have triple pricing........in-state, out-of-state and international students. I've also seen discounts for senior citizens and military personnel.

here

This link should feature on every tour operator, travel agent and airline website about Thailand.

Kudos to the people who maintain the site. I salute the endeavour.

I think 2Pricethailand is also the work of Richard Barrow, although I could be wrong. Regardless, it is indeed an excellent site.

You are quite right, It is Richard Barrow's and yes its excellent

There was a thread some time ago about a hotel in Bangkok that had a buffet on a very high floor, they charged extra for foreigners, be they resident in Thailand or even when accompanied by a Thai partner.

I made a comment on their Facebook page, which they ignored, but an Australian woman made a comment that she thought it was acceptable for foreign tourists to be charged more as they had more money than the Thai people, adding that Thai people couldn't normally afford to eat in such places as this.

My partner added a response that she found her comment to be patronising and insulting, the lady didn't respond.

Dual pricing is illegal.

I think you’re a little bit confused - The examples you have given is compensation to the 'locals' who live in the vicinity of the attraction and who are perhaps affected by visitors to the site etc..(done for PR reasons). It’s not a discount to all people native to the country so your comparison is not accurate.

I always find it interesting when people self justify why other's must pay more for a similar service. Assuming honesty and in fact the extra THB50 was subsidising the ride for locals, then foreigners could have had a specific queue that allowed them to board before Thai people. A sign could have been erected explaining to Thai people that foreigners were being allowed to board first because their benevolence and charity was subsiding the ticket price for Thai people.

• Like 1

For the rose tinted eyeglass wearers, I will say this. In absolutely no other country is there a 400% markup for tourists. My personal pet peeve on this subject are the dual priced menus. When questioned on this once several years ago, the chump claimed that the dish price being lower on the thai script menu was due to them providing a smaller portion to the Thais.