Thermae: Is It Still Open?

Nana Cowboy

I heard a rumor that the Thermae has shut down. Can anyone confirm this? I couldnt find anything on a google search

Surely there would be some notice taken online somewhere if it had been? It was the source of so many legends and was legendary itself.

A vile place that I, like so many back in the day, went to and sometimes had fun even as I loathed it; so very grim and I haven't been in well over 20 years but I shall mourn it's passing when that day comes.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Vile is probably a mild word for Thermae. It seems to have spilled over to the sidewalk. A few hundred yards up or down the road are Nana and Soi Cowboy - two equally notorious places. So there is no dearth of night life (if that is what you call it) at this area.

I used to refer to it as the 'Last Resort'. Not idea if it''s still open, but I hope not. It was a dump 20 years ago, and it won't have improved..!

I think that was probably a common name - certainly it would have been an accurate one for many of its patrons. For me I almost always went there just to carry on the party with friends but once in a great while - because in a certain era it was almost the only place open after hours - you'd even get some interesting people in there. I had a bit of an acquaintance with the people who looked after it (because of being in the same industry more or less) and had the extremely dubious distinction of being treated like a bit of a VIP ( as were others, no doubt) because I always brought a group of more upmarket clientele with me (yeah, I know -- more "upmarket" for the Thermae!)

I called it the Black Hole: both because it sounds as bad as the place was and because it drew in everything in its orbit (ie everyone who didn't want to go home). I'm glad I had the experience and I even had a couple good times there -- but I certainly don't miss it and never have.

• Like 1

Thermae 1, ah the memories. I loved that place. Cheap booze and an oasis that tourists did not know about and if they did, feared to venture.

True "Star Wars" bar.

Oh, the memories...

Star of Light 2

"Star Wars Canteen" was another familiar and apt name.

I used to refer to it as the 'Last Resort'. Not idea if it''s still open, but I hope not. It was a dump 20 years ago, and it won't have improved..!

The hands down winner in that department had to be The Grace Hotel, the coffee shop and disco were something to behold.

You are also correct about Thermae being a dump, as mentioned by others a late night watering hole drawing all and sundry

Yeah, the Grace was great as well in its day. I was going to mention it but thought only a few would know or recall the coffee shop. Full of Arabs now I hear.

Ah, these joints really rocked. They were truly what gave Thailand its skeez reputation.

I used to shuttle out of Phnom Penh to BKK. Visas flowing like wine, the world was my oyster.

Another cool thing was back then, we were all in on the same game and all equal. Old and young, rich and poor, working and <deleted>. Nowdays I really get the srnse that guys think they can buy respect here. Its not about what you know or how long youve beeninon the scene, its just about living large, living flash. I remember one night I met a producer of a very well known american tv series in a Nana gogo. Just a few guys. He closed the joint down, bought bottles of whisky and we had one hell of a party. He had some great stories, a few I still recall.

Someone should start a website - your best Thermae story.

• Like 1

Sad for the whiteys. Like most things, the Japanese and Koreans have taken it over.

No doubt that's where the nostalgia comes from.

Wanna buy a Furgerson radio,or a Norton bike?

No. Not when i can have some Asian quality, with cash.

Like most things, the Japanese and Koreans have taken over????

It's all about "show me the money". If you have the money, you will get the honey, Japanese, Korean or Farang.

... Yeah, the Grace was great as well in its day. I was going to mention it but thought only a few would know or recall the coffee shop. Full of Arabs now I hear ...

That's been their area for years, and they've progressed all the way to the Omni at the end of Soi 4,

Drop down from the grace towards Suk and it's the Nigerians / Morocans, if you're going to take a short cut threw there to Soi 5/7, better take Indiana Jones with you.

ermm.gif

• Like 1

... Yeah, the Grace was great as well in its day. I was going to mention it but thought only a few would know or recall the coffee shop. Full of Arabs now I hear ...

That's been their area for years, and they've progressed all the way to the Omni at the end of Soi 4,

Drop down from the grace towards Suk and it's the Nigerians / Morocans, if you're going to take a short cut threw there to Soi 5/7, better take Indiana Jones with you.

ermm.gif

Nana Plaza was an Arab shopping area long before it became a hub of Western nightlife.

ermm.gif

I hear you. I lost interest in BKK and just went down to PTY. PTY was really great gun in early 90s, so fun, so crazy and so cheap.

Too funny, Muslim hookers lined against the wall in black burquas. Arabs are insane. A life of eternal contridiction and double standards.

Edited by bangkokburning

ermm.gif

or a few hundred baht for an amazing meal and a sheesha

Edited by tinfoilhat

dont know, havent spent much time crawling that stretch of sukhumvit of late.

As has been mentioned, the clientele went almost 100% asian and it started closing at 2am so not many poke their heads down the stairs any more.

loved that thermae fried chicken though. there was a time i used to stop in just to get some to take home. unfortunately, as often as not it was with someone to help me eat it.

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes, Thermae is open every night! It's better to go there after 10:00 pm, If you want to meet attractive girls. Moreover, no smoking in Thermae and drinks are still cheap!

Too much ice in the ice coffee at Thermae. My only complaint.

Hello,

Yes, Thermae is open every night! It's better to go there after 10:00 pm, If you want to meet attractive girls. Moreover, no smoking in Thermae and drinks are still cheap!

Too much ice in the ice coffee at Thermae. My only complaint.

What are you doing drinking ice coffee at Thermae????

Hello,

Where is it located -- just in case I happen to be in the area after 10:00 pm? I never went in the original Thermae or into Grace Hotel, but I would be curious to see what all this fuss is about.

Hello,

Where is it located -- just in case I happen to be in the area after 10:00 pm? I never went in the original Thermae or into Grace Hotel, but I would be curious to see what all this fuss is about.

Located on Suk rd, between soi 15 and 17, Ruamchit plaza/hotel(?), sorry cant remember the name.

Best to go after midnight, going sober is not advised.

Hello,

Under the Ruamchitt Hotel. Next door to the Sofitel ... between Soi 13 and 15.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=ruamchitt+hotel+bangkok&hl=en&ll=13.738843,100.557877&spn=0.001514,0.002642&sll=13.738878,100.557964&layer=c&cbp=13,22.48,,0,4.84&cbll=13.738895,100.557803&hnear=Ruamchit+Hotel&t=m&z=19&panoid=FCAzoOuZCqSZaVfqd_VW0Q

Edited by whybother

Hello,

http://maps.google.c...ZCqSZaVfqd_VW0Q

Thanks. I was staying on Soi 11 last week and walked right by it and didn't even know it was there! If I am out in that area after 12:00 I will stop in for a beer -- maybe.....

Hello,

http://maps.google.c...ZCqSZaVfqd_VW0Q

Thanks. I was staying on Soi 11 last week and walked right by it and didn't even know it was there! If I am out in that area after 12:00 I will stop in for a beer -- maybe.....

Do yourself a favor and go.