Dive Instructors Job

fatter than harry

I know this is a stupid question, but I have to ask because his tyres are wearing out.

My mate is in Phuket looking for a dive instructors job, he's been to about 30 shops with no joy. He's a helll of a character and is fully qualified.

He needs to A. Find a job opening and or B. Find a bar filled with divers to talk with about possible job openings.

He is an Aussie.

Any help appreciated.

I don't know if it will be of any help, but there is a busy German-owned dive shop/school down at Nai Thon beach. I know nothing about diving but its always lively when I go to the beach.

I only suggest this because Nai Thon is a bit off the beaten track and maybe your friend hasn't heard about it. Again, you probably know this, but Nai Thon is between Nai Yang and Laguna.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Lek Bar down on Kata Center Dr. is where all the diver/Amway sales types hang out. Don't know if he's worked in the industry before, but these guys tend to be pretty sleazy-especially on Phuket. I came here fours year ago with intentions of completing the instructors course. I came from a brutally competitive executive search (head hunter) industry and I couldn't believe some of the stuff these bozo's were doin.

approach with caution, especially if you have foreign money in the pocket!!!

Thanks Khall, the shops from the circle to the pier?

Yep. There are quite a few of them there. Also there is that enormous new dive equipment store on the left before the circle (coming from Kata way). Would be worth him stopping by there for a chat, as they would have a lot of inside industry goss.

The last thing the dive industry in Phuket needs is another monolingual "helll of a character ". There must be something wrong with him if he is not getting work. Its super busy here.

... or maybe there is something wrong with the dive industry? How much are multi-lingual dive instructors paid per month? :o

The last thing the dive industry in Phuket needs is another monolingual "helll of a character ". There must be something wrong with him if he is not getting work. Its super busy here.

... or maybe there is something wrong with the dive industry? How much are multi-lingual dive instructors paid per month? :o

They sure don't get paid much, plus the long hours long days and stress with leads to drinking.

I can't imagine why anyone would want the job unless you were independently wealthy and loved diving too mut!

Yes, there is something wrong with him, he's just arrived in Phuket and knows no-one or nowhere on the island. Hence I was asking if anyone had any inside track information.

But thanks for your, insightful, pleasant, and non judgmental help. Be sure to send my thanks to the people that helped you get yourself set up.

He can't expect to just show up and have a job the next day, especially with only one language skill.

He'll have to be a bit more patient and keep checking as many shops as possible every day untill he gets a break and can prove himself. If he does a decent job he might be asked back and the ball may start rolling.

He can't expect to just show up and have a job the next day, especially with only one language skill.

He'll have to be a bit more patient and keep checking as many shops as possible every day untill he gets a break and can prove himself. If he does a decent job he might be asked back and the ball may start rolling.

He doesn't expect miracles limbos, I just thought I'd ask on his behalf. He's been doing everything you reccomend.

you and other dive staff may be interested in these recent mini-videos among others:

1. Interview - Treasurer of the Dive Operators Club of Thailand (D.O.C.T.) & Managing Director, Sea Bees Diving Company,

interview is with Holger Schwab, Treasurer of the Dive Operators Club of Thailand (D.O.C.T.) & Managing Director, Sea Bees Diving Company, to talk about Coral reef clean ups, the recent Artificial reef projects, the rescue system at sea, but first we asked how the D.O.C.T. and dive industry has been since the tsunami and now in the high season:

[email protected]

[email protected]

01 9703404

-----------------

& 2. Special Report - virgin coral reef just discovered by World Wildlife Fund of Thailand

This is a previously unknown virgin coral reef just discovered by the World Wildlife Fund or WWF of Thailand. The new information was announced during a press briefing carried out by WWF and Wetlands International at the Royal Phuket City Hotel yesterday. It also revealed some rare fish in the Andaman Sea in Phang Nga province, and they have given us here at channel 11 the first public footage of this exciting discovery.

They claim this reef was previously unknown by authorities, including the Department of Marine Coastal Resources, and was only discovered this January last month. Initial rapid surveys have identified over 270 hectares of previously unknown relatively healthy reefs with over 30 general kinds of coral, and at least 112 species of fish from 56 families, including a new record – the parrot fish Chlorurus rakaura first discovered in Sri Lanka and never seen in Thailand until now.

Khun Songpol Tippaywong, Head of Marine & Coastal Resources Unit for the WWF, told us at the press conference that such a finding is very rare and could be up to 5-10% of reefs found before:

The Department of Marine Coastal Resources have just verified it is new and not yet listed:

He said no dive companies have yet accessed this site, but they could easily reach it from Khao Lak, and scuba divers could dive down the 6-8 metres to find it, just like the fishermen.

He was therefore reluctant to reveal its exact location.

He hopes the authorities with their cooperation will be able to protect the site.

IF managed properly the site could become a prominent local dive site while also contributing income to the community. They plan more surveys and research, restoration of degraded sites, placing of buoys, and establishing dive fees to support community based conservation.

Just last Sunday 19th February, with support from the Royal Thai Navy, around 20 divers assisted in the removal of debris from the reef and released 100 giant clams.

The WWF believe there may be even more areas like this awaiting discovery, and with grateful financial support of the Wetland’s Green Coast project and the United Nations Environment Programme or UNEP, they should receive our support and respect in bringing this exciting discovery to the public’s notice to help protect it for future generations to come.

3. Interview at SSS Recompression or Hyperbaric Chamber in Patong

We visited the SSS Recompression or Hyperbaric Chamber in Patong which treats divers with decompression illness. To find out more about how it works, we interviewed the 2 expert operators there, first Dr Luba Matic, Diving Emergency Consultant, inside the chamber and then Stan Petitdemanage, Facility Manager, at the control room:

Email: [email protected]

231- 233 Rat-U-Thit , 200 Pee Rd,

Patong, Phuket,

Phone 076 342 518 or 9

Fax: 076 345 051

----------------------

all from Andaman News TV11 + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am weekdays & www.Thaisnews.com

To see mini-videos, go to VDO Clips, then click on red arrow at top of each item>

Hello again after a long absence :-)

I've worked both as a divemaster then Instructor on/around Phuket for a few years during high season and can vouch for the fact that it ain't easy to find work, especially at this time of the season when, although there are a lot of punters around, there's plenty of Instructors & DM's who live here year round as well as the seasonal one's, most of whom would have got here late Sept/early Oct to secure some work, to contend with. Add to this that your friend doesn't know all the local sites, yet, and I think he'll find it hard...

It's hard work but the only thing he can do is get a thai mobile number, get some cards printed out with that number on it and get out there and leave those cards with as many people as possible (except, maybe, immigration and work permit dept ;-) ) Last minute things do crop up, somebody goes ill or (unfortunately) can't make the boat/school for another reason and you take it from there...

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, there is something wrong with him, he's just arrived in Phuket and knows no-one or nowhere on the island. Hence I was asking if anyone had any inside track information.

But thanks for your, insightful, pleasant, and non judgmental help. Be sure to send my thanks to the people that helped you get yourself set up.

No one to thank. Everyone told me I need a second language and a work permit and that i would never get work. I also came here alone and didnt know anyone.

And went dive shop to dive shop until somone gave me a job, paying absolute crap. I payed my dues. From there I got a better job , etc. Now people call me and ask me to work. Inside track information? Preserverence.

At the time it was busy and shops were scrambling to find a qualiifed, presentable instructor. No handouts in this industry.