Dry Cleaning Incident

Hutchenson

I've had an item of clothing dry cleaned, and i went into the shop today to collect it, and it seems that the lady in the shop has given my very expensive shirt to another customer.

She said that i should come back tmrow, and hopefully the customer will reliase his/shes mistake, and return the item back to the shop.

Before leaving for Thailand, i brought a few "going out" shirts. The one thats gone walk abouts cost me about 80 British pounds.

What do you think i should do come tmrow, and she still hasn't returned my shirt.

I've still got the dry cleaning ticket, so she can't get away with saying she's already returned the item to me.

In England, i'd demand that i either have my shirt, or the money for the shirt. Failing that, i'd threaten them with the police, and if need be, take the offending shop to the small claims court - maybe alittle over the top, but it's the point that counts.

Overhere in Thailand is another story. But i certainly want todo something. I can't just let a shop "lose" one of my favorite shirts, then just say "okay nevermind, i'll cya then"

Any ideas on how to handle the sitition would be much appreciated.

Why is it another story over here in Thailand?

80 quid for a shirt! You can get a decent one here for 5 quid.

Tell them you want either the money for the shirt or a replacement.

If they say no, go down to the local police station and start legal proceedings.

If you can't write Thai, get a friend to write the shop a leter first advising them that you are starting legal proceedings, if she doesn't give you 3500 baht.

Don't be a doormat. What would a Thai person do in the UK?

Interesting problem and an unfortunate incident, but realistically, what are the chances of anything but token compensation for this (such as a discount on your next cleaning job)?

I seriously doubt you have documentation of the cost of the shirt, and it seems to me that would be a minimum to start any kind of action, not to mention the cost, hassle, and likely zero results of starting such an action.

I would take the mai bpen rai on that one!

I agree with Thaiquila.

As the boy grows up and leaves his mothers bosom he has to make certain clothing sacrifices during his travels throughout life.

Only 3 days ago I sacrificed 2 decent white T-shirts to the gods of angry laundry (poured the conditioner onto the T-shirts before I started the wash cycle)

I was in a funk for a few days, but I went out and bought more, the beauty is that here replacements wont cost you 80 pounds.

I also believe that it is through laundry sacrificing that we start to dress like our dads the older we get. As we start to realise that 80 pounds on a shirt is a lot of beer.

I feel your pain Hutch, but rest assured in a few years we'll look back and laugh, in our 12 for a dollar white socks, nasty knock off Nike sandals and beer singh vests.

Sorry for your shirt Hutchenson,

your bad luck only confirms my own experience with laundrys in Thailand.

I think she ruined it.

I would never give expensive/beloved clothes to a laundry. Once we gave a kingsize, seamless 100% cotton bedsheet to a laundry and I got it back with my full name, written with a permanent marker, on it :o .

Patex