Dukes Restaurant

sharktooth

best place in town to eat i hope the owner does not read this but i dont know he does the quality of food for the bargain price he does it for

amazing iv heard some people say its expensive lol how can they say that if you cant afford to pay the tiny amount then bugger of back home you wont be missed lol joking apart iv heard from a few people that the night bazaar outlet is no were near as good as the river side one cant say as iv never been

like most people that have lived here for years i avoid the area as its a pain in the ass to get around

My son came here on his honeymoon ... get this, coz I'd told him all about The Dukes ribs! jing jing ... all the way from Oz, via Hanoi (to appease the missus), so he could try Dave's Texas ribs.

We only managed to fit one Dukes dinner and a River Market lunch into an otherwise hectic schedule of Pai, Pang Mapha, Jungle Flight etc. So, one-son went home to Oz with one-new-wife and immediately booked a return-to-the-Dukes trip for 2013. :D

I liked the river venue but have often found it easier to catch up with visiting friends/family at the Night Market for a feed if they are sans transport and in a hotel.

I know the price difference has been mentioned (as being higher rent equals higher prices). I always found this a bit disconcerting, more like one venue had a "Thai/Expat" price and another "Farang/Tourist" price. Certainly other establishments (with rent differentials) i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. Dukes is about the only one I know that does. To me it is somewhat exploitative of tourists and I have seen many condemn Thais for similar exercises.

It has actually jaded my view a bit to the point where I gently and discretely steer guests to other places. If I go there I feel a bit sour and ripped off and I do not like the idea of my family/friends being ripped off (just my feelings folks sorry). When I went there the food was very very good no issue there its just that I can't bring myself to go there any more.

I liked the river venue but have often found it easier to catch up with visiting friends/family at the Night Market for a feed if they are sans transport and in a hotel.

I know the price difference has been mentioned (as being higher rent equals higher prices). I always found this a bit disconcerting, more like one venue had a "Thai/Expat" price and another "Farang/Tourist" price. Certainly other establishments (with rent differentials) i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. Dukes is about the only one I know that does. To me it is somewhat exploitative of tourists and I have seen many condemn Thais for similar exercises.

It has actually jaded my view a bit to the point where I gently and discretely steer guests to other places. If I go there I feel a bit sour and ripped off and I do not like the idea of my family/friends being ripped off (just my feelings folks sorry). When I went there the food was very very good no issue there its just that I can't bring myself to go there any more.

Never take life too seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway !

Well I will not say the Night Bazaar is different in quality. But for understandable reasons the prices are higher. People tend to forget that Dukes does not use the cheapest supplies they can get it has to be quality or you will have to go else where to find it.

That said the big drawback to the Night Bazaar is they can only make the small pizza's as there oven is to small.

i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things.

I'm fairly sure that I've seen higher-than-normal prices at some of the big burger-chains, in places like Krabi or Swampy, compared to elsewhere ?

Perhaps where distribution-costs are a factor, or higher-rentals are imposed, or the outlet is a franchise rather-than franchisor-operated ?

• Like 1

i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things.

I'm fairly sure that I've seen higher-than-normal prices at some of the big burger-chains, in places like Krabi or Swampy, compared to elsewhere ?

Perhaps where distribution-costs are a factor, or higher-rentals are imposed, or the outlet is a franchise rather-than franchisor-operated ?

Not to mention airport locations.