December 21, 201213 yr Can't let this go without a shout out. I had the imported sirloin rump from there today and it was unfikkinbelievable. Best steak I've had for a long time!
December 21, 201213 yr Author 700ish plus drinks on top of that. Didn't really pay much attention to the price
December 21, 201213 yr The Dukes is my favorite restaurant. It's our family favorite too. Never had a bad meal there.
December 22, 201213 yr I find the Night barzaar branch is a different story. Only the Ping river branch is good enough.
December 22, 201213 yr I find the lasagna fantastic. Not to mention great prawn cocktails and pizza's.
December 22, 201213 yr My opinion>>>>>>> I agree David and the Dukes is the best all around restaurant value in Chiang Mai..... AND is my families 2nd favorite restaurant. G A wife says to her husband you're always pushing me around and talking behind my back. He says what do you expect? You're in a wheel chair.
December 22, 201213 yr I think the Dukes has really great pizza as well. The large pizza is really a big one too.
December 22, 201213 yr I find the Night barzaar branch is a different story. Only the Ping river branch is good enough. Never tried that branch but only ever heard good things about it.
December 22, 201213 yr best place in town to eat i hope the owner does not read this but i dont know he does the quality of food for the bargain price he does it for amazing iv heard some people say its expensive lol how can they say that if you cant afford to pay the tiny amount then bugger of back home you wont be missed lol joking apart iv heard from a few people that the night bazaar outlet is no were near as good as the river side one cant say as iv never been like most people that have lived here for years i avoid the area as its a pain in the ass to get around
December 22, 201213 yr When ever my boy comes to visit the first item on his agenda is the river side Dukes for the ribs.
December 22, 201213 yr I too, have never been to the Night Bazaar branch. Parking is so easy at the river branch. Never had a bad meal there. Great value IMHO.
December 22, 201213 yr Occasional will go to the night bazaar branch, higher rent equals higher price and I like the river venue better any how. Have taken to the chief salads made with iceberg lettuce. I off set the health value with blue cheese dressing.
December 22, 201213 yr Love the dukes never had a bad meal keep up the good work was so busy the other day when we went had to wait 30 minutes but after we had our meal well worth the wait .
December 22, 201213 yr Just ate at night bazaar branch. Thought it would be packed in high season but just couple of tables occupied. Great steak pizza fries and some dark wheat beer.
December 22, 201213 yr Just ate at night bazaar branch. Thought it would be packed in high season but just couple of tables occupied. Great steak pizza fries and some dark wheat beer.
December 22, 201213 yr My son came here on his honeymoon ... get this, coz I'd told him all about The Dukes ribs! jing jing ... all the way from Oz, via Hanoi (to appease the missus), so he could try Dave's Texas ribs. We only managed to fit one Dukes dinner and a River Market lunch into an otherwise hectic schedule of Pai, Pang Mapha, Jungle Flight etc. So, one-son went home to Oz with one-new-wife and immediately booked a return-to-the-Dukes trip for 2013.
December 22, 201213 yr I liked the river venue but have often found it easier to catch up with visiting friends/family at the Night Market for a feed if they are sans transport and in a hotel. I know the price difference has been mentioned (as being higher rent equals higher prices). I always found this a bit disconcerting, more like one venue had a "Thai/Expat" price and another "Farang/Tourist" price. Certainly other establishments (with rent differentials) i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. Dukes is about the only one I know that does. To me it is somewhat exploitative of tourists and I have seen many condemn Thais for similar exercises. It has actually jaded my view a bit to the point where I gently and discretely steer guests to other places. If I go there I feel a bit sour and ripped off and I do not like the idea of my family/friends being ripped off (just my feelings folks sorry). When I went there the food was very very good no issue there its just that I can't bring myself to go there any more.
December 22, 201213 yr I liked the river venue but have often found it easier to catch up with visiting friends/family at the Night Market for a feed if they are sans transport and in a hotel. I know the price difference has been mentioned (as being higher rent equals higher prices). I always found this a bit disconcerting, more like one venue had a "Thai/Expat" price and another "Farang/Tourist" price. Certainly other establishments (with rent differentials) i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. Dukes is about the only one I know that does. To me it is somewhat exploitative of tourists and I have seen many condemn Thais for similar exercises. It has actually jaded my view a bit to the point where I gently and discretely steer guests to other places. If I go there I feel a bit sour and ripped off and I do not like the idea of my family/friends being ripped off (just my feelings folks sorry). When I went there the food was very very good no issue there its just that I can't bring myself to go there any more. Never take life too seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway !
December 22, 201213 yr Well I will not say the Night Bazaar is different in quality. But for understandable reasons the prices are higher. People tend to forget that Dukes does not use the cheapest supplies they can get it has to be quality or you will have to go else where to find it. That said the big drawback to the Night Bazaar is they can only make the small pizza's as there oven is to small.
December 22, 201213 yr O.K., I'm sold, give it a go next time in the city, BUT my question is where is the dukes on the river exactly? rgds S.S.
December 23, 201213 yr O.K., I'm sold, give it a go next time in the city, BUT my question is where is the dukes on the river exactly? rgds S.S. Exactly here: http://goo.gl/maps/vx0k2 (In between the Iron Bridge and Nawarat Bridge, on the Eastern side.) Edited December 23, 201213 yr by WinnieTheKhwai
December 23, 201213 yr re. (In between the Iron Bridge and Nawarat Bridge, on the Eastern side.) here ya go : ) dave2
December 23, 201213 yr Thanks, I usually stay @ pornping tower, so it's a short walk maybe 10-15 min, or 50-60 baht in tuk-tuk (im guessing) the strole sounds better with a couple of pit-stops on the way for a yen leo. rgds all & merry xmas songhklasid.
December 23, 201213 yr i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. I'm fairly sure that I've seen higher-than-normal prices at some of the big burger-chains, in places like Krabi or Swampy, compared to elsewhere ? Perhaps where distribution-costs are a factor, or higher-rentals are imposed, or the outlet is a franchise rather-than franchisor-operated ?
December 23, 201213 yr i know do not have a different price structure per venue for the same product be it food or other things. I'm fairly sure that I've seen higher-than-normal prices at some of the big burger-chains, in places like Krabi or Swampy, compared to elsewhere ? Perhaps where distribution-costs are a factor, or higher-rentals are imposed, or the outlet is a franchise rather-than franchisor-operated ? Not to mention airport locations.
December 23, 201213 yr Thanks, I usually stay @ pornping tower, so it's a short walk maybe 10-15 min, or 50-60 baht in tuk-tuk (im guessing) the strole sounds better with a couple of pit-stops on the way for a yen leo. rgds all & merry xmas songhklasid. It's 500 meters.. Just cross the Iron Bridge.
Create an account or sign in to comment