Type Of Visa: Advice And Restrictions

I have been looking through the forums for a while for different threads that might answer my questions, and to date have not found anything really specific. So at the risk of getting the UTFSE response, I will pose my question(s).

I am currently retired (retired early) and would meet all the Thai age and financial requirements for a retirement Vise.

Since my retirement, bought a house in North Central Thailand under GF's name, moved her three girls and mother in as well. Family life is good. Have been taking care of the girls for almost 4 years (even before the house), and I am functionally their father and they treat me as such. All in all, really good family relationship. Know the issues of what would happen should the relationship go sour, I would be upset, but could weather the financial loss. However, have had great relationship with GF and girls for long time now, and I am also on good terms with the rest of family--brothers, sisters, and extended family. And luckily for me, none of them have ever viewed me as the walking farang ATM and in 5 years, not one request for money or help. Anyway, back to topic at hand, which is visa, not relationships.

I have been coming to Thailand for the last 4 years on Tourist Visa, 2 months, plus the 1 month extension. I come twice a year, staying close to 3 month each time and living with my GF and girls.

What I am trying to understand is which visa might be best for me: continue with what I am doing (tourist+extension), non-immigrant, or retirement. I know there are some drawbacks on tourist visa. Right now, for instance, I don't believe I can get a Thai drivers license on a tourist visa. I can of course drive on my US or International license but when I look at driving our family car, I fear their might be a insurance exposure should we ever have an accident.

On the other hand, I still have a house in USA, and for various reasons, I do want to return there, as least for the time being, on the 3 month intervals that I have specified above. Once you get either a non-immigrant visa or retirement visa, what are the restrictions on leaving Thailand (in my case twice a year to go back to your own country)? In the case of a non-immigrant visa, would I just get another one (in that case I see no advantage over tourist except for the drivers license).

Right now, I have no need to work (except for possible boredom issues) and I am still doing occasional consulting for a US company which I can do in Thailand or USA, as long as I have a telephone or internet connection. This is additional cash flow besides retirement pension and investment income. Any real business venture would be associated with immediate or extended family and I would be in the background anyway, and should that come about, I can tackle that visa issue at that time.

So, any suggestions? Do I just keep operating the way I am doing now? Maybe I haven't asked myself all the right questions as yet, or maybe I am not aware of all the restrictions of my current status? Any advice or further questioning or probing would be appreciated.

I have been looking through the forums for a while for different threads that might answer my questions, and to date have not found anything really specific. So at the risk of getting the UTFSE response, I will pose my question(s).

I am currently retired (retired early) and would meet all the Thai age and financial requirements for a retirement Vise.

Since my retirement, bought a house in North Central Thailand under GF's name, moved her three girls and mother in as well. Family life is good. Have been taking care of the girls for almost 4 years (even before the house), and I am functionally their father and they treat me as such. All in all, really good family relationship. Know the issues of what would happen should the relationship go sour, I would be upset, but could weather the financial loss. However, have had great relationship with GF and girls for long time now, and I am also on good terms with the rest of family--brothers, sisters, and extended family. And luckily for me, none of them have ever viewed me as the walking farang ATM and in 5 years, not one request for money or help. Anyway, back to topic at hand, which is visa, not relationships.

I have been coming to Thailand for the last 4 years on Tourist Visa, 2 months, plus the 1 month extension. I come twice a year, staying close to 3 month each time and living with my GF and girls.

What I am trying to understand is which visa might be best for me: continue with what I am doing (tourist+extension), non-immigrant, or retirement. I know there are some drawbacks on tourist visa. Right now, for instance, I don't believe I can get a Thai drivers license on a tourist visa. I can of course drive on my US or International license but when I look at driving our family car, I fear their might be a insurance exposure should we ever have an accident.

On the other hand, I still have a house in USA, and for various reasons, I do want to return there, as least for the time being, on the 3 month intervals that I have specified above. Once you get either a non-immigrant visa or retirement visa, what are the restrictions on leaving Thailand (in my case twice a year to go back to your own country)? In the case of a non-immigrant visa, would I just get another one (in that case I see no advantage over tourist except for the drivers license).

Right now, I have no need to work (except for possible boredom issues) and I am still doing occasional consulting for a US company which I can do in Thailand or USA, as long as I have a telephone or internet connection. This is additional cash flow besides retirement pension and investment income. Any real business venture would be associated with immediate or extended family and I would be in the background anyway, and should that come about, I can tackle that visa issue at that time.

So, any suggestions? Do I just keep operating the way I am doing now? Maybe I haven't asked myself all the right questions as yet, or maybe I am not aware of all the restrictions of my current status? Any advice or further questioning or probing would be appreciated.

If you meet the requirements for retirement visa extension

50 +

800k baht in Thailand bank account

medical certificate

and do not mind the fees

1.900 baht for yearly extension

3.899 baht for multi re-entry

As you have a tourist visa, on your next visit, intsead of extenting the tourist visa for 1 month, I would apply for 1 year extension on retirement (they might want some more fee for changing the tyoe of visa once from tourist to non Im O).

At the same time apply and get a multi re-entry permit valid until your last day of your yearly extension.

This way you are free to go in and out of Thailand without hindrance and worry n period of stay, etc other than the one year visit to immigration in Thailand for the yearly extension and re-entry permit.

It migth not be the cheapest way but I think it is the easiest and simple one

Good luck

Everything he^ says.

OR

Next time apply for a multi-entry non-o on the grounds of 'investigating retirement options in Thailand'. Depends on your consulate whether this will fly, but worth a shot. Once here you can easily extend on the grounds of retirement (800,000 needed in bank).

OR

Marry the lady. Then you can get a non-o on the grounds of 'support of Thai spouse'. This can be extended on the grounds of marriage (400,000 needed in the bank) but slightly more hassle at immigration than the retirement option.

One advantage of the marriage route (apart from the lesser financial requirment) is that you can get a work permit should you get the urge that is :o.

Lots of options, so, of course it'r, up2u :D

Edited by Crossy

Sounds to me as though Crossys first option is the one for you............although if you have the 800k (or meet income requirements) i would just apply for a single entry Non Imm O based upon retirement and apply to extend it after the first 60 days stay here.

Leaving the country is not a problem a multiple re-entry permit will cover that...........the re-entry permit allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand without it affecting your 1 years extension of stay date stamp.

You could even apply for a Non Imm O-A visa when you are next home this would give you a years stay stamp upon re-entering Thailand without having the chew on of going down to local immigration after 60 days and applying...............the only big difference in obtaining the O-A (A stands for Approved) in the US is that you must provide a clean police record, if you complete the procedure in Thailand you dont need this.

Marriage would obviously be your other option. :o

1. Retirement as said if you make the timing right (you need to be here same time each year).

2. Take a Thai bank account book with a few hundred thousand baht to Penang and obtain a multi entry O visa every 15 months or so. Less paperwork. No guarantee will always work but it seems to work now for those of retirement age.