Paypal Verification Query.

Hi.

I have a few questions on how Paypal verification works here for a Thai user.

1. I recall seeing somewhere that a credit card is required for verification. I am registered myself in the U.K but cannot recollect if i was able to achieve this only by a debit card or if a c/c was required. If a c/c is required would my partner qualify for one? She is not working as she takes care of a child but she has a regular alternate monthly income. If not a c/c would a internet purchase one work? She banks with Kasikorn and i think they offer a web card. Would she qualify and be able to use this for verification?

2. Is a landline required as part of the verication process for Thai users? She only uses a mobile, but has internet access obviously, but one that comes directly into the building not requiring a phone line.

Are any of these issues also applicable to registering an Ebay account?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

The procedure to do this using a Bangkok Bank Be1st debit ATM (visa electronic use) card:

Step 1) Make sure you have internet banking. You do not have to go to the bank for this, you can do it at a Bkk Bank ATM. Choose "apply for services" and "ibanking". Follow the prompts. You'll receive a slip with your user ID.

Step 2) You can now go online on your computer and log in using the user ID on your ATM slip and the pin code you chose during the ATM procedure. Complete the registration process...

Step 3) Create paypal account, and log on. If you ever want to receive money, choose a Premier account, not a personal one. When you register your paypal account, make sure the name you use is exactly the same as in your Bangkok Bank bank book! Explained later! You will get a big prompt to verify your account. Do this, you will be asked to add your card details. Paypal will deduct 70 Baht from your ATM card.

Step 4) Retrieve the Paypal verification code. You have to log into your Bkk Bank internet banking. First click on your account number, next click on your ATM card number. You will see an overview of all online charges made to your card (and charges at POS terminals in shops). In the details of the 70 Baht Paypal charge you'll see a 4 digit number. Note this down. (note: it can take a few days for this 70 Baht transaction to show in your online bank system!)

Step 5) Log into paypal, and click on "verify credit card". Enter your 4 digit paypal code as retrieved in your internet banking. Click verify. All is done now, all sending and receiving limits have been removed.

Step 6) Add bank account. In Paypal, go into "profile", choose "add or edit bank account" and choose add. Make sure the name you fill in is EXACTLY the same as in your bank book, otherwise the transfers will not arrive into your bank!

You now have a fully operational paypal account allowing you to pay for stuff (automatically deducted from your ATM card), receive funds from other people, both with or without paypal accounts, and transfer any received moneys into your Thai bank account!

Note for foreigners:

The automatic internet banking registration can only be done if your bank account is flagged as "resident". If you opened your account showing a work permit, then this is done so already. If you opened without, you'll be flagged as "tourist" and the online registration at the ATM will give you the message saying: "process cannot be completed due to incomplete information".

Even if you held a 1 year extension (retirement/marriage) when opening your account, you'll still be flagged as "tourist". You have to go into the bank (where you opened the account", show a 1 year extension (ED 90 day extensions usually also accepted) and explain they need to update your status to "resident" They'll make copies of your passport and let you sign a few papers.

They can do this on the spot (takes about 1 hour to update), insist they do this, otherwise it won't happen!!!

ATM cards from most other banks can be used as well with Paypal, but the difficulty lies in obtaining the Paypal verification code after they charged you the 70 Baht. I know with my Siam Commercial Online banking I cannot see he details of the charges made to my ATM card. So no idea how to get the paypal code.

With Bangkok Bank you get a detailed statement, exactly like you would get on a real Credit Card...

^ interesting. Ive been trying for 2 weeks to get that 4 digit code. Doesn't show up on online statement (also bkk bank). They called me yesterday with a code, but it had expired.

Strange, my paypal charges always show up on my online banking within a few days.

I'll attach screenshots of the online banking system so you know where to look!

post-4701-0-41445700-1356244524_thumb.pn

In the above screenshot, you need to click on the blue Be1st Card Number (the one I blacked out in the screenshot)

Then you get following screen:

post-4701-0-18769200-1356244645_thumb.pn

In my case I used my card 5 times, 4 with paypal and once directly on another site (domainhosting)...

When the 70 Baht verification charge from paypal shows up, it should look like following:

post-4701-0-11198500-1356244861_thumb.gi

The 4 digit number is what you need!

Hi.

Thanks monty for your detailed reply. This will be of use. If i did not make it clear on my original post however, this question in relation to a Thai user, my partner, not me. She also banks with Kasikorn and obviously any issues to do with being a foreigner are not relevant because she will be doing this on her own, me just giving a bit of assistance to get her started.

What i wanted to definitely know is if a credit card is required to set up and verify a Paypal account or if a debit card/web card would be accepted and if she would qualify for them as she is not working but does have a provable monthly income?

Also is a landline required for the opening/verification process as in U.K?

Thanks.

Does this mean on Bangkok bank when someone not use the online banking like my gf

The 4 digit code will not show, when she upgraded the passbook on a ATM?

No tel number is nesarsary!

For opening PayPal,the rules are everywhere same in the world !

The whole process of tourist and resident visa confirm on bk bank sounds not easy!

I verified pp acount with. My kasikorn and scb card , no one ask me something about resident or tourist work permits etc!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Does this mean on Bangkok bank when someone not use the online banking like my gf

The 4 digit code will not show, when she upgraded the passbook on a ATM?

No tel number is nesarsary!

For opening PayPal,the rules are everywhere same in the world !

The whole process of tourist and resident visa confirm on bk bank sounds not easy!

I verified pp acount with. My kasikorn and scb card , no one ask me something about resident or tourist work permits etc!

The verification code will not show on the passbook!

If you don't use internet banking you still can get the verification code by calling Bangkok bank (1333).

Keep the atm card ready as somewhere down the line they will ask to enter your card number and the pin code on your phone....

It's just easier with online banking, and once you start using paypal it's easy to have as well so you can instantly see what's happening...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hi.

Thanks monty for your detailed reply. This will be of use. If i did not make it clear on my original post however, this question in relation to a Thai user, my partner, not me. She also banks with Kasikorn and obviously any issues to do with being a foreigner are not relevant because she will be doing this on her own, me just giving a bit of assistance to get her started.

What i wanted to definitely know is if a credit card is required to set up and verify a Paypal account or if a debit card/web card would be accepted and if she would qualify for them as she is not working but does have a provable monthly income?

Also is a landline required for the opening/verification process as in U.K?

Thanks.

Yes, a debit card will do, no need for a credit card!

I do not use Kasikorn myself, but from reports when you use their online banking system you can get a virtual credit card (no income requirements) , which would work perfectly with paypal...

In general, all visa electron debit cards will work with paypal, the problem lies in retrieving that code needed for the paypal verification, as normally debit cards do not get detailed statements like credit cards do!

My detailed list basically was meant on how to get the verification code on Bangkok bank's debit card!

So in The meantime the are cheaper ways to send money then Paypal!

I wondering why here everybody only want use PayPal and not talk about other company's

Paypal is normally not used.for sending money, but rather when you sell online.

Ebay requires paypal, and the majority of online shoppers use paypal to pay for stuff, without having to give their card details to each and every seller...