Are They Getting Too Greedy As Usual

Mate of mine is coming to Samui for 1 month from Pattaya. Asked me how much to hire a 125cc Honda for the month. I went to eight different bike hires between Maenam, Bang Rak Cheong Mon last night. They are all asking between Bht 5000= Bht 166 per day and Bht 6000 = Bht 200 per day !

Mate tells me that at Pattaya the same bike would cost Bht 2500 = bht 83per day to Bht 3000 = bht 100 per day.

He said , why do they ask so much, i replied because they can, the visitors don't know any different ! so they will just keep 'racking' it up .

Yep - there are local rates and tourist rates. Probably true if you tried to rent a bike in Pattaya over Christmas.

As a 'local' at the shop where I get my bike serviced, I have just hired another bike for 2,500 baht for the month for one of my staff. He charges tourists more.

As Ydraw said - Lamai should be a bit cheaper.

Yep - there are local rates and tourist rates. Probably true if you tried to rent a bike in Pattaya over Christmas.

As a 'local' at the shop where I get my bike serviced, I have just hired another bike for 2,500 baht for the month for one of my staff. He charges tourists more.

As Ydraw said - Lamai should be a bit cheaper.

But they are all tourists at Pattaya

• Like 2

I guess its all down to where you go, i just stopped off where i saw bikes for hire ! Don't need one for myself, already own one plus an SUV. so i really did'nt shop around too much. Anyhow, its the time of the year and i guess they are trying it on !

Edited by oldsailor35

There are plenty of places in Lamai that rent scooters for 100 baht a day or 2500 per month.

BUGGER! that's a 3 day camel ride from Maenam, did'nt even know that anybody lived there anymore !

Ha ha ha!!! Cheeky bugger !!! tongue.pngbiggrin.png and there are lots of tourist here too coffee1.gifthumbsup.gif

Yeah... bikes can be found in Maenam for around 3000 month... just have to find the right shop ... obviously you did not look too hard!!! try some of the side roads .... rolleyes.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

I guess its all down to where you go, i just stopped off where i saw bikes for hire ! Don't need one for myself, already own one plus an SUV. so i really did'nt shop around too much. Anyhow, its the time of the year and i guess they are trying it on !

Try Bonus Travel in Maenam - Gina & Em are a lovely couple with a little baby boy who is having growth difficulties, they could do with the money (not covered). I've used them for bike hire before and other bookings they are trustworthy and very helpful.

I can PM you a map with details if you like

in pattaya a honda bike scoopy, click, airblade injection models (108CC) are 2500 per month, can be found in here for 3000

in pattaya PCX 125cc is 4500 per month can be found in here for 5000

prices are not that different in here but now it's high season and prices are sky rocketting as supply are going low.

let me know what he wants and when, i might have one of my bikes available.

The high prices for scooter hire in samui is not 'they' being greedy, its just us keeping out the riff raff. You have to remember we are a green boutique island if yoou want cheap scooter hire, cheap chang, cheap everything then maybe samui is not the right place for your holiday.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Exactly. I have to start a paid thaivisa forum. Member subscription starts at 2500 baht per month. That should keep all the riff raff away :-)

• Like 1

all you guys's are too cheap.even 6000 baht a month is good value at 200 baht a day.think of the savings compared to using song taews or taxis.renting a car should be 15000+ a month.in australia you'd pay 3000 baht a day for a decent car.

yes i know this is not australia but i think you're doing yourselves out of income.

all you guys's are too cheap.even 6000 baht a month is good value

You could buy the bike for 18000, so it's really not.

Cars are a different story, because used cars are ridiculously overpriced in Thailand.

Edited by ydraw

There seem to be a number of visitors arriving here for the first time that confuse the word "overpriced" with being a simple case of "more than they can afford" or "more than they wish to spend".

Maybe try Pattaya. You can also save money getting there, travelling from the airport by taxi.

• Like 1

I think "overpriced" is a fair word to use when someone is charging double what a business offering the same service 10km away is charging.

Not necessarily, the business 10 kms away maybe paying much lower or higher shop rent... so it will affect the over heads to cover.

Chawang has much higher shop rents generally... especially in the "high traffic" areas.

I think "overpriced" is a fair word to use when someone is charging double what a business offering the same service 10km away is charging.

Not necessarily, the business 10 kms away maybe paying much lower or higher shop rent... so it will affect the over heads to cover.

Chawang has much higher shop rents generally... especially in the "high traffic" areas.

I agree. A shitty shop at Chaweng beach road is going for 40,000 a month in rent. So that's 10 bikes rented out continuously just to cover the rent. I always wonder how anyone can make a living renting out motorcycles at 150-200 per day. I can only guess the money comes from damages?

I agree. A shitty shop at Chaweng beach road is going for 40,000 a month in rent. So that's 10 bikes rented out continuously just to cover the rent. I always wonder how anyone can make a living renting out motorcycles at 150-200 per day. I can only guess the money comes from damages?

Yiks! w00t.gif 40,000 baht month, what does that include? Free gasoline.... I wonder? biggrin.pngwink.pngwhistling.gif

Not all of them rip people off with damage repair, some of them are fair about it!! ..... so not to paint everyone with the same brush,.... !!

Yiks! w00t.gif 40,000 baht month, what does that include? Free gasoline.... I wonder? biggrin.pngwink.pngwhistling.gif

Not all of them rip people off with damage repair, some of them are fair about it!! ..... so not to paint everyone with the same brush,.... !!

The shop rent is 40,000. Not the motocy!

I'm on Chaweng beach road, paying 7.000 / month including keymoney.

It's on southern not so busy part, but still Chaweng soi 1.

Is he coming at New Year? If so, then supply and demand are basic economics.

things are only worth what people want to pay.

It is not a rip off if someone gives you a price and you get what you pay for. doesnot matter how much.

This time of the year you be lucky to rent anything so suppky and demand prices go up

• Like 1