Aussies Warned About Phuket Scamsters

webfact

why don't the travel agencies and planes, have some final instruction before landing : people, do not rent jetski's, you will get scammed, do not rent motorcycle if you don't have proper licence and insurance... would not cost to much on their pre-recorded flight infomercials

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seeing immense lack of knowledge here. As an example NamKangMan and BookMan- you guys are having a sweet trist and are absolutely ignorant. This forum naturally provides news of Thailand but the problem of tourist rip-offs is prevalent and even more severe in many "paradise" destinations around the world. I have not read current embassy warnings before making this entry but can speak from personal experience. If Australia or any other country posts advisories only of Thailand then they are negligent. I have been to resorts throughout Latin America, Malta, Egypt and SE Asian Countries and know for a fact that here is one of the safest. I will not scandal by nameing individual countries but know places where you can be robbed in broad daylight while locals observe- They will tell the victim afterwards that they did not help because "we do not bother the thieves and they do not bother us." There are places where the police will approach a vulnerable looking foreigner and falsely arrest him for being drunk solely for the purpose of extorting a fine. There are beautiful places where you can be accosted and shot while having a nice jog down the beach- Even if you are cooperating this ensures that you do not decide to resist. On the latter example I can offer a painfully detailed account.

I do not understand why people who are living here find the need to incessantly fault Thailand without having a clue as to whether there is any veracity in what they are saying.

• Like 2

why don't the travel agencies and planes, have some final instruction before landing : people, do not rent jetski's, you will get scammed, do not rent motorcycle if you don't have proper licence and insurance... would not cost to much on their pre-recorded flight infomercials

Do what I did, click on the link for the news article at the beginning of the thread, select the share option and share it in Facebook, twitter or any other social forum and let as many as you can know about the scams.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I've never been to Phuket, and with all the things I've heard I never intend to - it doesn't sound much like the places in thailand I know and love to visit.

its a real shame to see this sort of thing - especially when there are actually wonderful places to visit with lovely people living there.

Phuket just sounds like a cesspool though...

I used to go to Phuket a lot in the 90s, but now I don't ever go there anymore, plus I tell as many people as I can not to go there.

Classic tale of killing the golden goose, but will they ever learn?

Warn the tourists,

promote the crooked,

raise the prices,

bully the compassionate,

extort the weakest,

rape the youngest,

murder the competition,

never lose 'face',

job well done....

so proud to be thai,

everyone else is just scum to be devoured... Yum Yum

dont blame phuket, Bangkok or pattaya........ its just land....

Its the vermin that run it/ruin it that need to be eradicated!!!

Fact!

Is that a friendly fact?

PLease don't equate all that happens to all of Phuket, there are plenty of nice places on this island.

Just cause shit happens in Patong an karon/kata does not mean the whole island is lost ( YET)

Really? I'm in Phuket now and invite you to name a few.

Kamala beach Nai Yang, Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Tamaparo Bay, Po Bay to name a few

Shut up, Rich! rolleyes.gif

hey, they're drones and have never been to the Real phuket, ONLY the Airport and than over to Patong, Karon & Kata

Bet many that go and on on about it have in fact never been at all.

Pray tell , dear gKid, what has our Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm actually done regarding the 'situation' in Phuket ?

Mind you, he seems to have been succesful in getting rid of the jetski maffia in North-Eastern Thailand, although the 'drugsfree' campaign there seems an ongoing struggle. Nothing to do with being the Heartland of Pheu Thai of course. rolleyes.gif

Yes, the containment of drug trafficing in the north is a struggle, but it is being contained by the efforts of the government. The proof is in the fact that the drug cartels are unable to regain their stranglehold on the region. What you intentionally neglect is that the DPM is not wrong in his assessment of the situation. The drug cartels had almost gained full control of the local political structure, the judiciary and the law enforcement, until the government fought back. Many innocent people died, but had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war against the cartels, all would have been lost.

The DPM sees he same pattern on Phuket where the corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police, that what will be needed is an all out war on these criminals. The difference in phuket is that the cartel has been at it a lot longer than the drug cartels and they are woven into the social fabric. For those of us that have lived in Patong and can see the endemic corruption that permeates every institution and agency, the only cure seems to be a surgical removal of the sponsors of the corruption. Unfortunately, Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math.

• Like 2

Do what I did, click on the link for the news article at the beginning of the thread, select the share option and share it in Facebook, twitter or any other social forum and let as many as you can know about the scams.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

We need our Russian, Chinese, Korean and Indian members of TV to do this.

These nationalities make up the bulk of tourists to Phuket now.

• Like 1

Pray tell , dear gKid, what has our Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm actually done regarding the 'situation' in Phuket ?

Mind you, he seems to have been succesful in getting rid of the jetski maffia in North-Eastern Thailand, although the 'drugsfree' campaign there seems an ongoing struggle. Nothing to do with being the Heartland of Pheu Thai of course. rolleyes.gif

Yes, the containment of drug trafficing in the north is a struggle, but it is being contained by the efforts of the government. The proof is in the fact that the drug cartels are unable to regain their stranglehold on the region. What you intentionally neglect is that the DPM is not wrong in his assessment of the situation. The drug cartels had almost gained full control of the local political structure, the judiciary and the law enforcement, until the government fought back. Many innocent people died, but had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war against the cartels, all would have been lost.

The DPM sees he same pattern on Phuket where the corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police, that what will be needed is an all out war on these criminals. The difference in phuket is that the cartel has been at it a lot longer than the drug cartels and they are woven into the social fabric. For those of us that have lived in Patong and can see the endemic corruption that permeates every institution and agency, the only cure seems to be a surgical removal of the sponsors of the corruption. Unfortunately, Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math.

Only the Royal Thai Army could "surgically remove" the corruption cancer on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Drugs, scams and the like are endemic in Thailand. That's part of the social structure where 'puyai' may change their political base, colour, or whatever, but remain on track as 'puyai'.. You move freely from 'drugcartels almost gained full control up-North' to 'corruption has spread itself so strongly into the political structure, the judiciary and the police" in Phuket. You seem to suggest that not only is up-North free of drugcartels, but even corruption. Both are a wee bit beside the truth, IMHO.

As for "Phuket is a Democratic controlled zone and is a key source of party funds. Do the math", please provide some links from where you get the 'key source of funding'.

BTW I like your "had the former PM Thaksin not gone to war". I assume only figure of speech, less than 3000 deaths in that war. Seen as completely justified by some wink.png

• Like 1

The trouble with Thailand is not so much the scams... it's us men. We just can't resist the charms of the Thai ladies...

post-35489-0-39580900-1356336761.jpg

I remember this speech.

President Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck announced to the world that

"The Global War on Phuket tuk-tuks" had just been declared and they were thanking the

"coalition of the willing tourist" who refuse to hire them, under any circumstances, for their efforts in attempting to bring about an early end to the war. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

you really asking that? they ask for all the documents to prove the accident and damage, and the scammers don't provide documents, they want cash up front or else they will harm you. that's why it's called a scam.

I suspect that's one reason so many tourists read the warnings and still rent jet skis. "Scam" is too innocent a word, conjuring up images of Nigerian Princes that can easily be outmaneuvered.

"Brutal extortion" would be more descriptive and may get the point across better. And extortionists don't wait around for insurance to pay out before they break legs...

Edited by impulse

Forget Thailand...the land of scams. The government does NOT care about tourists-period!!! Go to Bali, just spent 12 days there and NO problems, beautiful beaches, food, people....everything...and no scams!!!

Not true, their are scams on Bali - just because you personally were not at the receiving end of a scam doesn't mean there are no scams in Bali. e.g. some of the money changers are well practiced at deceit.

Having lived in Phuket over twenty years ago and visited almost every year since, it has been very disappointing to see it gradually degenerate into its current state. Certainly not the Phuket we loved and remembered, and we decided on our last visit that it would be exactly that .... our last.

IMO it's probably quite telling of the seriousness of a problem when two ambassadors find it necessary to join forces to bring it to the fore.

Believe it or not, you could have a 'quiet' beer in Bangla once. Now look at it - Thailand should be ashamed of it. Not that you have to go to Bangla to get scammed or harassed anymore - the rust is spreading, and those living on some other parts of the island should already be concerned how their own part of paradise is going to look in another twenty years.

Well said, I totally agree. I also have lived in Phuket for 15 years but returned to my native land last year for good. I shan't even bother to visit as Phuket is becoming a concrete jungle far from the idealic tropical paradise of 15 years ago. Add to this the crime, corruption and complete indifference by the 'pontificating' politicians and it really is becoming a 'no-go' destination.

• Like 1

Those scumbags are taking the noose & hanging themselves with it. I say: give them enough rope to hang themselves! The way they are abusing the tourists. They deserves it.

I think you're an optimist. Never in the history of Thailand and Phuket has there been so much negative press about this stuff. Yet never in history have so many flocked here to be fleeced and abused by an ever greedier local population. Having a few beaches and lots of affordable booty, seems like a giant money printing machine to these people. And the statistics, so far, seem to prove them right.

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

Yes, who could forget that promise?

Perhaps the 3 months has simply not started as yet

Of course he didn't say which months, and more importantly which year, century or lifetimecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

The trouble with Thailand is not so much the scams... it's us men. We just can't resist the charms of the Thai ladies...

post-35489-0-39580900-1356336761.jpg

I remember this speech.

President Obama and Prime Minister Yingluck announced to the world that

"The Global War on Phuket tuk-tuks" had just been declared and they were thanking the

"coalition of the willing tourist" who refuse to hire them, under any circumstances, for their efforts in attempting to bring about an early end to the war. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

You completely misunderstood them. He's just asking Yingluck, if she'd heard about Monica Lewinski and if she'd love cigars from Cuba. w00t.gif

PLease don't equate all that happens to all of Phuket, there are plenty of nice places on this island.

Just cause shit happens in Patong an karon/kata does not mean the whole island is lost ( YET)

Really? I'm in Phuket now and invite you to name a few.

Kamala beach Nai Yang, Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Tamaparo Bay, Po Bay to name a few

Shut up, Rich! rolleyes.gif

I really would have prefered you to say "Hush Richard"....by saying Shut Up you are going to down to the level of most of the "bogans" on this thread who have no real knowledge of this island...

Rip Offs...you get them everywhere in the world including the UK, USA , Aus etc etc

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

Yes, who could forget that promise?

Perhaps the 3 months has simply not started as yet

He had forigotten it when he was out the door.

The ambassadors should, via media in their countries, tell people Do NOT go to Phuket! If the authorities in Phuket had been serious about eradicating this poison, it would have been solved long ago. But in the Thai shortsight Phuket today is a sewer and getting more smelly by the day.

Ok, how many people visit each month, how many people of those visiting get scammed. Compareing apples to oranges I would say very few because they keep coming. Met a dad and daughter here in Chiang Mai who were going for a wedding, asked the dad and granddad how it went he said they had a great time. I do not know the percentage of tourist that get scammed but would be willing to bet it is less than one percent of total visitors, thats why nothing is done

Apples to Oranges? I don't see the analogy.

Also because many are not reported doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I have lived in Thailand only a few years and have been coming since 2005,

I maybe a newbie, but I can learn from the mistakes of others.

I have never been to Phuket and after the incidents I have heard and read, I never will.

I think one (1) scam is one too many.

Folks, "it's up to you " as they are fond of saying.

There are other places to go.

Starve them out, the honest businesses will take care of the bad ones when they see their baht go away.

the recent case of the young girl dying ...she was a trainee aussie journalist really spread the bad vibes ... they tried to blame her aussie boyfriend even though it was on xxxxxx cctv ,,,blatant attempt at rip off ..

Edited by metisdead