Over Stay Fee

Gonzo the Face

Anybody have a definitive answer of this rather than an ' I guess so'

From Chiang Mai Airport, will someone leaving on a 7AM flight on Day 2 be charged a overstay fee if their visa time expired 7 hrs earlier at midnight?

I didn't think so, but that is just my I guess so. Somewhere I remember that there is no charge if you do leave the first day after, but if leaving the second day after you pay for both days.

Any Answers

Gonzo

I was waved through last year with one day over, but recently was 3 days over and exactly as you say cloudhopper, the official counted on his fingers, before consulting a calender and then finally recieving confirmation from his "captain"........then it was "do you have 1500 bht?"

Out of consideration also for other passengers dont be over due becasue the form filling and for the receipt will hold up other passengers......this is also the case at Mae Sae when its a bit more of a rush to get through.

Would it be possible to check through exit immigration before midnight and sleep or hang out in the departure area until the morning flight?

To save 500 baht? blink.png

Anyway you can't, but anyone seriously contemplating that has bigger issues to worry about. smile.png

The 500 baht means nothing. It's to avoid an immigration violation. Taking a cavalier attitude about overstays is playing with fire.

Taking a cavalier attitude about overstays is playing with fire.

I agree and IMO all us expats living here are playing with fire. Some official merely needs to determine that one is an "undesirable alien" to be deported and black listed without any criminal charges ever being brought at all. There is actually a notice to that effect on the wall of the Chalong yacht immigration office in Phuket.

This happened to my friend but it was about a year ago. Her visa expired and she was on flight out at 7-8am next day (international from CM)

She was let through no problem.

probably same reason more women pass their driving test in the west quicker than the men....short skirts....2 nice puppies and a smile.

• Like 1

I was waved through last year with one day over, but recently was 3 days over and exactly as you say cloudhopper, the official counted on his fingers, before consulting a calender and then finally recieving confirmation from his "captain"........then it was "do you have 1500 bht?"

Out of consideration also for other passengers dont be over due becasue the form filling and for the receipt will hold up other passengers......this is also the case at Mae Sae when its a bit more of a rush to get through.

I was at Mae Sai Wednesday last week and had the misfortune to be behind 3 Brit 30-somethings, each of whom was over.

Stood there for what seemed like ages, while forms were filled out, with carbon paper (remember that?), money exchanged, change counted out, etc.

saai.gif

^^

Yes they will but you'll still be over. You have a couple of options: get yourself a tourist visa beforehand or bounce the borders for another 15 days.

I was at Mae Sai Wednesday last week and had the misfortune to be behind 3 Brit 30-somethings, each of whom was over.

Could have been worse, mc, you could have been stuck behind three redneck septics, or one even. whistling.gif

Op, I've had this dilemma and opted to extend at immigration rather than end up with one of those stamps... this was prior to applying for a visa so thought it prudent.

Would it be possible to check through exit immigration before midnight and sleep or hang out in the departure area until the morning flight?

Highly unlikely as the check in gates don't normally open until 3 hours before the flight.

I think you are right for CM airport.

Anyway you can't, but anyone seriously contemplating that has bigger issues to worry about. smile.png

There are people who wisely recognize that they have time but not much money and would gladly spend 7 hours to save 500 Baht which they could use to live for up to a week in India, a temple in Thailand or many other places.

Edited by Dante99

I'll be arriving at BKK next June 29, for a 32 day stay from the U.S., around 11:20 PM. If I wait until after 12:00 AM, will immigration officers stamp me as arriving on June 30?

Best is to get a tourist visa, a the airline can refuse you boarding if you don't have a visa and you stay for longer than 30 days.

I can get a 60 tourist visa. The thai Embassy told me that it has to be done through the Chicago consulate, as I live in Kansas City which has had no consulate since the last one closed 2 years ago. This also makes it a pain to renew my wife's 3 kids thai passports, as it has to be done in person through the Chicago consulate. The Chicago consulate comes to KC once a year, in early April. As my wife and 3 kids want to go to Thailand for the summer and want to leave as soon as school is out around June 1, this poses a problem. The consulate won't expedite the passports and my wife's passport came back from the consulate the middle of this past June, over 2 months after she applied for it at the yearly consulate visit in KC in early April. I'm not going to spend $500-600 to fly them to Chicago to get their passports renewed. Anyway, concerning the 60 day tourist visa, it would cost me twice the 1,000 baht overstay fine to have it issued. I'm willing to take my chances with the airline and thai immigration.

The 500 baht means nothing. It's to avoid an immigration violation. Taking a cavalier attitude about overstays is playing with fire.

I doubt seriously if one or two days will bring down the rath of God from immigration

I can get a 60 tourist visa. The thai Embassy told me that it has to be done through the Chicago consulate, as I live in Kansas City which has had no consulate since the last one closed 2 years ago. This also makes it a pain to renew my wife's 3 kids thai passports, as it has to be done in person through the Chicago consulate. The Chicago consulate comes to KC once a year, in early April. As my wife and 3 kids want to go to Thailand for the summer and want to leave as soon as school is out around June 1, this poses a problem. The consulate won't expedite the passports and my wife's passport came back from the consulate the middle of this past June, over 2 months after she applied for it at the yearly consulate visit in KC in early April. I'm not going to spend $500-600 to fly them to Chicago to get their passports renewed. Anyway, concerning the 60 day tourist visa, it would cost me twice the 1,000 baht overstay fine to have it issued. I'm willing to take my chances with the airline and thai immigration.

Get your 60 day tourist visa from Portland by mail in one or two days.

Highly unlikely as the check in gates don't normally open until 3 hours before the flight.

I think you are right for CM airport.

Also correct about bangkok

Taking a cavalier attitude about overstays is playing with fire.

I agree and IMO all us expats living here are playing with fire. Some official merely needs to determine that one is an "undesirable alien" to be deported and black listed without any criminal charges ever being brought at all. There is actually a notice to that effect on the wall of the Chalong yacht immigration office in Phuket.

Agreed 100%

• 5 weeks later...

My understanding is the same as yours.

I will definitely let you know but unfortunately it'll be in 3 weeks time! I fly out on the 15th but my visa runs out on the 14th.

I arrived at immigration and the officer looked twice at his watch and then said "You overstay" I replied, with a smile, that it was only 8 hours. He told me to wait and went through to an office and then returned 2 minutes later. He gave me back my passport that had a stamp in it stating that I had overstayed but no fine was imposed.

• Like 1