What's The Black Box Called That Sends An Ipad Signal To Tv?

giddyup

The Apple TV might be the perfect media center for the average tech connected home. It's tiny, it's powerful, but unfortunately when it comes to streaming video, it's useless. Sure it does some stuff with video, you can hook into a computer running iTunes and play movies, and you can buy movies and TV Shows, but good luck playing anything you own not purchased via iTunes. Oh, you decided to rent an HD movie from Apple tonight? I hope you planned ahead because it's probably going to take three or four hours to download.

Link: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01/16/why-jailbreak-apple-tv/

Edited by MJCM

That's it, thanks. I see some on ebay advertised as being "jailbroken", what does this mean?

Note that only ATV versions 1 and 2 can be jailbroken. Version 3, (the latest one) cannot. That is why you will find version 2's going for a lot more money on ebay.

i have never bothered jailbreaking mine.

Alternatively, If you just want to play movies from your iPad onto your tv, you can just buy an Apple digital AV 30 pin-HDMI adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad/dp/B004QK5N5W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1/278-4792439-7399005 and an Apple HDMI lead. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC838ZM/B/apple-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable-18-m ( providing your tv has an HDMI socket.) This is not wireless.

This is the setup that I use when travelling around. I have been able to connect my iPad to the TV in quite a few hotel/ resort rooms, and watch my films on the tv.

Note that only ATV versions 1 and 2 can be jailbroken. Version 3, (the latest one) cannot.

Don't you mean "cannot yet"?

Yes. Of course you are correct. Cannot yet.

giddyup....Also worth knowing that ATV's 1 and 2 can only stream 720p video, whereas the ATV 3 is capable of streaming 1080p. To be honest, 720 is good enough for me, and my eyes, considering file size, and download speeds in Thailand.

DaveBKK... +1

Allready bought this hdmi adaptor on Amazon I never see it in Thailand for sale! ?

It display only the picture, the keyboard or the menu itself,come not out from hdmi output!

Also the chance to find real hd content for stream over iPad Is not avalible !

Resulutiion looks around same then DVb s nothing todo with hd tv over hdmi!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Allready bought this hdmi adaptor on Amazon I never see it in Thailand for sale! ?

It display only the picture, the keyboard or the menu itself,come not out from hdmi output!

Also the chance to find real hd content for stream over iPad Is not avalible !

Resulutiion looks around same then DVb s nothing todo with hd tv over hdmi!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

You should be able to buy it from iStudio, or BananaIT. It enables you to mirror the iPad screen to the tv,., so whatever is showing on the iPad screen...photos, documents, movies is shown on the tv.

You will only be able to watch any media that you have already downloaded to the iPad, or purchased from the iTunes store via the iPad. Of course, for that you will need a wifi connection, or transfer from a computer to the iPad.