Air Bagan Crash

DagonKhan

Myanmar passenger jet in emergency landing near airport

YANGON, Dec 25, 2012 (AFP) - A Myanmar plane carrying 65 passengers was forced to make an emergency landing near an airport in eastern Shan state on Tuesday, leaving two pilots injured, the airline said.

"None of the pilots, passengers or crew were killed but two pilots were hurt," Ye Min Oo from Air Bagan told AFP. The carrier said the aircraft landed two miles (three kilometres) from Heho airport.

A government official said a fire was reported in one of the engines as it approached the airport at around 9 am (0230 GMT).

"Because of the emergency landing near the airport, the plane broke up in the middle," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding that the passengers were evacuated.

A local tour guide at the scene said that the fire had "burnt almost the whole plane".

Air Bagan is one of several domestic carriers seeking to profit from a tourist boom in Myanmar as it emerges from decades of military rule. It is owned by Tay Za, a tycoon known for his close links to the former junta.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-12-25

Air Bagan have updated their Facebook page (it's in Burmese:- http://www.facebook.com/AirBagan) to say that 65 were on board. 55 are now at Heho airport and they're okay. 9 passengers are at hospital in Taungyi plus the two pilots. 1 passenger died in the aircraft.

They confirm that the plane was indeed landing (not taking off as I initially posted).

There are reports that the plane was a Fokker 100 and the emergency landing was on a road.

Edited by DagonKhan
  • Like 1

UPDATE

One dead, 11 hurt as Myanmar jet crash lands: airline

YANGON, Dec 25, 2012 (AFP) - One person was killed and 11 others injured when a Myanmar plane carrying 65 passengers crash-landed near an airport in eastern Shan state on Tuesday, the airline said.

"One passenger who was missing was found dead inside the plane. We are still trying to identify who the dead passenger is," Air Bagan announced in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

afplogo.jpg

603207_494890237222505_1484003085_n-e1356417452631.jpg

An Air Bagan flight lands on a road in Heho, Shan State. (Photo: Htoo Eain Thwin / Tachileik Online News)

RANGOON A domestic airline flight, Air Bagan, has made an emergency landing on a road in central Burma. Authorities said that two passenger died and 11 were injured.

Four foreigners traveling on the Christmas morning flight were among the injured, Deputy Information Minister Ye Htut said on his Facebook page. He said the fatalities included an 11-year-old child believed to be a Burmese citizen and a man riding a motorcycle on the road where the plane landed.

The Air Bagan flight was carrying 65 passengers Tuesday morning from Rangoon, former capital of the country, to the Heho airport in Shan State, the gateway to a popular tourist destination, Inle Lake.

Air Bagan said on its Facebook page that seven passengers and two crew members were injured. It said all of them were brought to a hospital. It said the emergency landing was made on a road about 3 kilometers (2 miles) from Heho airport.

It did not explain why the plane, a Fokker-100, made the emergency landing.

Air Bagan is one of five private airlines that flies domestic routes in Burma. It is a unit of Htoo Trading Company, which is owned by business tycoon Tay Za.

Source: Irrawaddy.org

UPDATE:

Two dead, 11 hurt in Myanmar plane crash landing

by Shwe Yinn Mar Oo

YANGON, Dec 25, 2012 (AFP) - A Myanmar plane carrying 65 passengers including foreign tourists crash-landed in eastern Shan state on Tuesday, leaving two people dead and 11 others injured, the airline and officials said.

Air Bagan said the aircraft, an ageing Fokker-100, was forced to make an emergency landing two miles (three kilometres) from Heho airport, which is the gateway to the popular tourist destination of Inle Lake.

"One passenger who was missing was found dead inside the plane. We are still trying to identify who the dead passenger is," the carrier announced in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

The victim was an 11-year-old child, according to the information ministry, which added that four foreigners were among those hurt in the accident.

Another person was killed when the plane struck a motorbike on a road near the airport, it said.

The exact circumstances of the incident were not immediately clear, but a government official said a fire was reported in one of the engines as it approached Heho airport at around 9 am (0230 GMT).

"Because of the emergency landing near the airport, the plane broke up in the middle," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding that passengers were evacuated.

A local tour guide waiting at the airport for passengers on the Air Bagan flight to arrive said the fire had "burnt almost the whole plane".

Air Bagan spokesman Ye Min Oo said the two pilots among the injured were taken to hospital, although their condition was not immediately known.

"The cause of the accident is not clear yet. Only the pilots will know the cause, but we can't contact them yet as they have been sent to hospital," he said.

Air Bagan is one of several domestic carriers seeking to profit from a tourist boom in Myanmar as it emerges from decades of military rule. It is owned by Tay Za, a tycoon known for his close links to the former junta.

The airline operates two Fokker 100 jets, which are no longer manufactured.

Long isolated from the world under decades of junta rule, the Southeast Asian nation has seen an influx of tourists and business travellers in recent months following a raft of political reforms.

The surge in demand for air travel has stretched Myanmar's aviation infrastructure, in particular in remote airports.

Yangon International Airport, the country's main terminal, is set to exceed its limit of 2.7 million passengers this year and the Department of Civil Aviation warned in July it needs urgent upgrading.

afplogo.jpg

Will be interesting to see what caused the crash - weather doesn't look to be a factor.

Just sitting here with a friend - we were trying to work out how many times we had both flown on that exact aircraft over the years. A lot.

Hope the remaining survivors are okay and being looked after.

DK - thanks for letting everyone know the news on this.

Keep us posted!

edit - just read that it was a suspected engine fire. Will wait for more details, bit early still.

Flying with these sort of back Waters airlines are the origin of the saying: ON A

WING AND A PRAYER AIRLINES...

Never had any second thoughts about flying with this airline, and have flown with them regularly over a long period. Always highly professional staff and crew.

Compared to flying on the old Fokker F27 and F28s with Myanma Airways - it was a relief when Air Bagan started domestic routes to where I was working a decade or so ago.

How many times have you flown Air Bagan to make a comment like that?

Flying with these sort of back Waters airlines are the origin of the saying: ON A

What other options do you have in Myanmar? Train, Bus - forget it....

Thai Airways crashlands sometimes, Bangkok Airways too and 1-2 go as well (Yeas the latter is not operating anymore now but anyway...). Ever travelled with one of those?

Edited by Mangkhut

Never had any second thoughts about flying with this airline, and have flown with them regularly over a long period. Always highly professional staff and crew.

Compared to flying on the old Fokker F27 and F28s with Myanma Airways - it was a relief when Air Bagan started domestic routes to where I was working a decade or so ago.

I agree - I have flown with Air Bagan several times and always found them to be most professional.

The Washington Post is now reporting that fog and mistaking the road for the runway may have been the cause of the crash.

Edited by yiiim2
  • Like 1

The news are saying

I agree - I have flown with Air Bagan several times and always found them to be most professional.

The Washington Post is now reporting that fog and mistaking the road for the runway may have been the cause of the crash.

^^ this

Some more details here on passenger/crew numbers and nationalities of injured:

An Air Bagan flight packed with Christmas tourists crash-landed on a road in central Burma on Tuesday, killing two people and injuring 11, officials said.

Four foreigners were among the injured, state television reported. It said the fatalities included an 11-year-old passenger believed to be a Burma citizen and a man riding a motorcycle on the road where the plane came down.

The flight was carrying 63 passengers, including 51 foreigners, and six crew members from the city of Mandalay to Heho airport in Shan State, the gateway to a popular tourist destination, Inle Lake, Air Bagan said in a brief statement on its Facebook page.

The airline identified the injured tourists as two Americans, a British national and a Korean. It described the incident as an “emergency landing.”

Authorities gave a different and more dramatic account, saying the pilot mistook the road for a runway due to bad weather.

“While descending, the plane mistakenly landed … due to fog beside the runway,” state television reported. It said the aircraft made a hard landing on a road and then came to a stop in a nearby rice paddy field.

“The rear end of the plane broke and caught fire,” state TV said, carrying a statement posted on Deputy Information Minister Ye Htut’s Facebook page. Rescuers brought the fire under control about 45 minutes later, he said.

Witnesses said smoke filled the plane when it hit the ground and was still rising from the plane’s badly charred wreckage hours later.

Airport officials in Heho said that injured passengers were taken to a hospital in the nearby city of Taunggyi for treatment.

Air Bagan is one of five private airlines that fly domestic routes in Burma. It is a unit of Htoo Trading Company, which is owned by business tycoon Tay Za.

by AYE AYE WIN

Read more: http://world.time.com/2012/12/25/airliner-lands-on-burma-road-in-fog-2-killed/#ixzz2G3HU3hb2

It's being reported that the aircraft crashed-landed in foggy conditions, short of the single North-South runway, on a road. There is a tar road leading to the airport almost parallel and on the extended centreline – Google Earth. As far as I can gather there are next to no navaids at Heho, only a single NDB, probably not in line with the runway and useless for a bad weather approach. Sounds like they should not have attempted what was likely a below-minima landing without the runway being clearly visible. Maybe; there's always a maybe...

It's being reported that the aircraft crashed-landed in foggy conditions, short of the single North-South runway, on a road. There is a tar road leading to the airport almost parallel and on the extended centreline – Google Earth. As far as I can gather there are next to no navaids at Heho, only a single NDB, probably not in line with the runway and useless for a bad weather approach. Sounds like they should not have attempted what was likely a below-minima landing without the runway being clearly visible. Maybe; there's always a maybe...

Correct - single NDB a couple of hundred metres from the airfield http://airportnavfinder.com/airport/VYHH/

If the fog reports are true it makes sense. Guess we will hear more as news comes to hand.

Correct - single NDB a couple of hundred metres from the airfield http://airportnavfin...m/airport/VYHH/

If the fog reports are true it makes sense. Guess we will hear more as news comes to hand.

That'd be from the center point, or wherever they are indicating the airfield at. I'm 99.9% positive the NDB is located on the lands of the airfield. http://www.ourairports.com/navaids/HHO/Heho_NDB_MM/#lat=20.7427005767822,lon=96.7929992675781,zoom=19,type=Satellite

Not going to speculate too much on the cause of the crash and no need to until someone speaks up. Either some crazy pilot error or a total engine flame with not enough glide to get the plane home.

A little surprised on how a motorcyclist didn't see/hear a 30 ton aircraft in time to avoid it. Rest in peace to him and the child on board.

• Like 1

From a news link on Yahoo

'While descending, the plane mistakenly landed on the road...'

I'm not an aviation expert, but if it was foggy and the airport was small and with minimal radio navigational equipment - then I guess that it's quite possible that pilot/navigational error could occur.

RIP to all

Simon

Air Bagan's most recent Press Release (in English now on their Facebook page):-

An accident happened to Air Bagan flight W9-011 during landing near Heho airport at 08:50 a.m. on 25 December 2012. The Fokker 100 aircraft was carrying 65 passengers, 6 crew members including a pilot and a co-pilot.

The emergency exit was opened as soon as the aircraft landed in the nearby field and passengers were evacuated by our cabin crew. Eight passengers were injured as the aircraft caught fire and were taken to the nearest Sao San Tun hospital in Taung Gyi for treatment.

Ma Nwe Lin Shein, a tour guide, was identified as the only fatality on board. U Pyar who was travelling on a motor cycle on the ground was hit by the aircraft as it landed and was killed.

Twenty six of the passengers were brought back to Yangon on a special flight arranged by Air Bagan and were taken to Victoria hospital for medical check-up. They will be accommodated at the Kandawgyi Palace Hotel after being discharged from the hospital tonight. All remaining passengers including the eight injured ones will be arriving Yangon tonight on Air Bagan special flight.

Air Bagan deeply regret the deaths of two persons and tender its condolences to the bereaved families.

We apologize to all passengers and their families for the inconvenience caused by the accident. We will provide every help and assistance that the passengers might need during their time at Kandawgyi Palace Hotel.

Air Bagan in collaboration with the Ministry of Transport is investigating into the cause of the accident. We will take full responsibility for all passengers and will release further information as we received it.

• Like 1

Thai Airways crashlands sometimes, Bangkok Airways too and 1-2 go as well (Yeas the latter is not operating anymore now but anyway...). Ever travelled with one of those?

1 - 2 Go changed the name to her Parent Company and flies, same Aircraft type that crash landed, Mc Donnel Douglas,

I flew with them and was positively surprised! NO FEAR!

http://flyorientthai.com/en/home/

Pilot and Co-Pilot will, a good possibility, need a new Job and the Motorbike driver, did not hear the plane coming?

Now I know a good reason, why I should not use a very loud exhaust on my Motorbike!

And I know now an excuse to the Policeman, when I drive a Motorbike without Helmet in South East Asia.

=My ears must be free, to hear a possible on the road landing airplane in time!=.whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Correct - single NDB a couple of hundred metres from the airfield http://airportnavfin...m/airport/VYHH/

That'd be from the center point, or wherever they are indicating the airfield at. I'm 99.9% positive the NDB is located on the lands of the airfield. http://www.ourairpor...,type=Satellite

Not going to speculate too much on the cause of the crash and no need to until someone speaks up. Either some crazy pilot error or a total engine flame with not enough glide to get the plane home.

A little surprised on how a motorcyclist didn't see/hear a 30 ton aircraft in time to avoid it. Rest in peace to him and the child on board.

I suppose if the road is near the runway the sound of a plane coming in is not unusual but wouldn't be expecting it to land on the road. If it did become clear that there was a problem I doubt there was time to do anything about it.

RIP

I suppose if the road is near the runway the sound of a plane coming in is not unusual but wouldn't be expecting it to land on the road. If it did become clear that there was a problem I doubt there was time to do anything about it.

RIP

I doubt the airplane just landed on top of this person on a bike (though always possible). I think it's much more likely the case that someone pulled over to the side of the road. Then the airplane landed and split into pieces. If it was foggy, it's not like you're going to know that the airplane has crashes and the wings and everything are heading towards you. If I saw an airplane land on a street, I'd assume the wings wouldn't be likely to clip me (maybe I'm stupid like that). But when it breaks in half, all hell breaks loose. You wouldn't have needed to be on the road to have died because of this crash. Kinda surprised only a single person was on this road at 9:30am.

Agree - only flown with them once (Christmas Eve last year, Heho to Yangon) - but Air Bagan were excellent, with a new looking plane.

1 - 2 Go changed the name to her Parent Company and flies, same Aircraft type that crash landed, Mc Donnel Douglas,

I flew with them and was positively surprised! NO FEAR!

http://flyorientthai.com/en/home/

Pilot and Co-Pilot will, a good possibility, need a new Job and the Motorbike driver, did not hear the plane coming?

Now I know a good reason, why I should not use a very loud exhaust on my Motorbike!

And I know now an excuse to the Policeman, when I drive a Motorbike without Helmet in South East Asia.

=My ears must be free, to hear a possible on the road landing airplane in time!=.whistling.gif

No helmet needed for you.....