Rayong Beach For Family Break

Pigman

We are planning to travel down from Chiang Mai to meet up with my family from Bangkok and Korat in early February and reckon somewhere on the coast in Rayong province would fit the bill. We've not been to that stretch of coast before, but have been told though that at certain times of year the currents bring rubbish onshore, and the beaches should be avoided - Hua Hin say may be more suitable. I'm also concerned that Rayong is noted more for its industry than being a tourist hot spot.

Any suggestions of good, family friendly beaches please? There will be three generations, including grandchildren of 10 years old and 15 months, and nobody is much interested in watersports, banana boats, etc, rather a "quiet" stretch of beach.

Ko Samet, if you dont mind paying prices that are slightly inflated by tourist influences (2,000 baht for a double cabin almost on the beach). Avoid the very first beach - Sai Keaow unless you like wall-to-wall falang baking their bloated red bodies.

Laem Mae Pim if you want something more Thai and less falang tourist (on the mainland facing Ko Samet). Prices likely to be 1,500

Hat Khung Wiman a bit further along towards Chantaburi if you want a budget Thai family resort (still with good albeit narrow beaches). 1,500 to 2.000 baht would get you a eg family room to sleep 6-8.

My price indications are to show the relativity of prices and are based on mid range hotels - you can pay double for luxury or half for cramped or sqaulid. Maybe a bit more than this in January and February and must book ahead in those months particularly at the weekends.

My Thai extended family would be happy with all three but particularly happy with Ko Samet. There's something special about leaving your car behind and taking a ferry to an island. But in addition to hotels, expenses while on Ko Samet (beer and food) are probably 25% (beer) to 50% (food) more than on the mainland.

Edited by SantiSuk

We always used to go to Hat Mae Rumphueng. 3 or 4 km white sand beach, row of trees between the road and the beach provide shade, gently shelving shore so you could wade out quite far until water neck deep.

Line of restaurants between road and beach, not pushy just good quiet service, deck chairs and a table provided, will provide ice, drinks, and food as required. No traveling vendors.

We went to the east end just before the large rocks and police box. A small bay close by where fishing boats tie up. Small market store - like a 7-11 - directly across the road which has toilets available.

Gets more busy from friday afternoon to sunday evening as Thai working families arrive. We used to go weekdays and had the whole beach practically to ourselves.

Edited by seedy
  • Like 1

We always used to go to Hat Mae Rumphueng. 3 or 4 km white sand beach, row of trees between the road and the beach provide shade, gently shelving shore so you could wade out quite far until water neck deep.

Line of restaurants between road and beach, not pushy just good quiet service, deck chairs and a table provided, will provide ice, drinks, and food as required. No traveling vendors.

We went to the east end just before the large rocks and police box. A small bay close by where fishing boats tie up. Small market store - like a 7-11 - directly across the road which has toilets available.

Gets more busy from friday afternoon to sunday evening as Thai working families arrive. We used to go weekdays and had the whole beach practically to ourselves.

+1 regularly go to Hat Mae Rumphueng. Went their a few days ago with my Thai family, unfortunately a lot of rubbish, but cleared up the area in front of us so didn't have to view all the plastic bags etc left by the environmentally aware Thais. Sea was clear & clean with no rubbish in the water.

Thanks everybody - really helpful info. I'm conscious that the Thais are not the tidiest of people, but are the beaches here any dirtier than the average? Is the sea clean enough to go swimming in? Our 15 month old granddaughter's mummy & daddy are typical ultra conscientious first time parents......

Any suggestions for a reasonable, mid-priced hotel or resort, suitable for the whole family?

Thanks everybody - really helpful info. I'm conscious that the Thais are not the tidiest of people, but are the beaches here any dirtier than the average? Is the sea clean enough to go swimming in? Our 15 month old granddaughter's mummy & daddy are typical ultra conscientious first time parents......

Any suggestions for a reasonable, mid-priced hotel or resort, suitable for the whole family?

Try here,

http://www.booking.com/landmark/th/mae-rumphueng-beach.en.html

Not listed above and probably the one another poster couldnt remember the name of is Sea View Resort/Hotel, right opposite the beach.

http://www.tourismmart.com/seaviewlaemmaephim/

Last time I was there I noticed a row of wooden beach bungalows had appeared, dont know who owns them.

Be aware a "quiet" stretch of beach is exactly what you will get if you go Mon-Fri.

but are the beaches here any dirtier than the average?

The long beach of Maerampheung I would suggest.

Go as far down as the Rayong Beach Condotel, which is basic rooms with a sea or mountain view, internet access if required, if too basic several other establishments close by.

The beach gets a small amount of flotsam and jetsam washed up in the morning, but nothing spectacular and if you visit either the two girls who run the beach restaurant opposite the above Condotel, or the bigger one next door, they always clean this up first thing.

You'll find no water sports here, just a long beach, palm trees and umbrellas for cover and good quiet solitude.

Is the sea clean enough to go swimming in? Our 15 month old granddaughter's mummy & daddy are typical ultra conscientious first time parents......

Yes clean enough for swimming.

The industrial part of Rayong is far enough away for the pollution not to trouble you, I have never noticed it anyway.

As somebody has mentioned, the concreted area by the police box is a good area, a bar to sit and watch the sunsets and a small mart over the road, a bigger bar a further way along, but none get very populated, clean loos at the bar and the Mart.

but are the beaches here any dirtier than the average?

The long beach of Maerampheung I would suggest.

Go as far down as the Rayong Beach Condotel, which is basic rooms with a sea or mountain view, internet access if required, if too basic several other establishments close by.

The beach gets a small amount of flotsam and jetsam washed up in the morning, but nothing spectacular and if you visit either the two girls who run the beach restaurant opposite the above Condotel, or the bigger one next door, they always clean this up first thing.

You'll find no water sports here, just a long beach, palm trees and umbrellas for cover and good quiet solitude.

Is the sea clean enough to go swimming in? Our 15 month old granddaughter's mummy & daddy are typical ultra conscientious first time parents......

Yes clean enough for swimming.

Local authorities have now closed down the beach restaurants you mention.

Hi simple, thanks for the info, but we are not talking of the exact same location.

I believe that the MRP Beach is a national park owned by the Navy, not exactly sure of the veracity of all of that statement, however, there has been small and medium sized restaurants on this stretch for quite some time, the local authority allow them to exist, but frown upon permanent structures.

In recent years they have been putting increasing pressure on these restaurants to move street side, which for obvious reasons have been resisted by the Restaurant owners. Further structures have begun to be built by the L.A on the street with the intention to start moving the owners to them and clear the beach, these have been stalled in recent times due to incorrect permissions.

There have been about four of the larger more permanent sized structures removed, but these are further down by the Police Box, the two I mentioned, the two girls, 'M' & 'R' are still there and 'GG' to their right the larger structure is still existing.

You get good fresh food at both establishments, the best Squid I have tasted, pop in next time you are in the locale.

It is not known how long they will be there, pressure will almost certainly start again soon to move them on.

Hi simple, thanks for the info, but we are not talking of the exact same location.

I believe that the MRP Beach is a national park owned by the Navy, not exactly sure of the veracity of all of that statement, however, there has been small and medium sized restaurants on this stretch for quite some time, the local authority allow them to exist, but frown upon permanent structures.

In recent years they have been putting increasing pressure on these restaurants to move street side, which for obvious reasons have been resisted by the Restaurant owners. Further structures have begun to be built by the L.A on the street with the intention to start moving the owners to them and clear the beach, these have been stalled in recent times due to incorrect permissions.

There have been about four of the larger more permanent sized structures removed, but these are further down by the Police Box, the two I mentioned, the two girls, 'M' & 'R' are still there and 'GG' to their right the larger structure is still existing.

You get good fresh food at both establishments, the best Squid I have tasted, pop in next time you are in the locale.

It is not known how long they will be there, pressure will almost certainly start again soon to move them on.

Are you sure? I'm talking about the ones on the beach opposite, I think, it's a Family Mart about 150 meters before the curve in the road going towards Ban Phe, where they have the fishing boats. Was their last Sunday & the beach restaurants were knocked down.

EDIT: Maybe I got it wrong, are you talking about closer to where you turn sharp left onto the beach road, about 500 meters further on?

Edited by simple1

You are right in regard to the location you mention, but I am describing a different area.

If you are heading for Ban Phe, you have the family Mart on the left, Police Box to the right, a little before there is where you are descrbing, approx four of the semi permanent structures have been removed.

But approx 150 meters before that, directly opposite the Rayong Condotel, is where I am speaking of.

I own a Condo there, so I am sure of the location, however I am not resident at present, so you threw a curved ball when I read your post. So I spoke to a local taxi driver who I know and she confirmed my post above, I then reread your post and noticed you had been there a week previous and so just to confirm we spoke to the Condo manager next door to the Rayong Condotel and they confirmed it too.

We are talking of just slightly differing locations within a few hundred meters of each other, I am talking directly opposite the Rayong Condo and you are speaking of the place nearer the Police Box.

The confusion may be down to me using a little literary licence in calling them restaurants, M & R's restaurant is just a collection of Umbrella's, tables and a cooking area, and GG's slightly larger, but it is still my favourite place in the World.

Edited by Mossfinn