What Would You Do In This Situation?

Clive

Hello. I am about to loose my job in the uk shortly and not sure what to do....

If I stay in the uk with my children I would probably loose my house and end up in a less desirable place to live for my children being on benefits (at least temporarily) but I am considering renting my house out and moving to Thailand.

The main thing that keeps me in the uk is the good schooling for my children as they go to good schools but I dont like the idea of loosing my house as once gone it is unlikely I would get another mortgage.

The lifestyle in thailand is better should I move to thailand but there is so much uncertainty surrounding my ability to get a good job teaching and I dont want to pull my children around the world unsettling them and then returning to the uk again should things not work out, ....

looking at around 30k a month+ but I do not have a degree but have an tesl certificate from about ten years ago...I believe that I would be a good teacher as when I ntaught years ago in Thailand I did ok, enjoyed it but now have the experience of my own childrens ability which I could put into good use,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated......thanks

In your situation i would do the same thing as you are doing now. Considering....

Your thoughts should go to your children and you should have the strength to take care of them. Thailand or where you are now they should be prio nr 1.

Without a degree you are limited to teaching at language schools.

For teaching at schools, you will need a degree and work towards getting a teaching license. More and better information in the teaching section of the forum about this.

Moving to Thailand will alo depend on your childrens feelings. In general, the younger they are the easier they will cope and make the transition.

• Like 1

Hi, sounds like because you are loosing 1 job, you are planning on moving half way round the world to find another. Id stay put. Find another job, any job for now until you get back into your line of work and if you want to go teach in Thailand down the track, put the wheels in motion later on.

I dont know you personally, but whats your wife, family and friends think?....They know you best.

Good luck, keep us informed.

If you rented your place out would it cover the mortgage?

Or maybe try selling it to one of those awful firms that buy it off you then you rent i back off them ... then you can get housing benefit so your kids stay in the same school.

Try calling the mortgage companies bluff by offering to walk away and declare bankruptcy, surely its better for them to get their money back from you then flog the place if you've no equity in it.

Rent a place close by and play the system so you get housing benefit to cover the rent.

Huge dilemma but moving your kids to Thailand and putting them in some huge classes where they're taught by rote system and get brainwashed into thinking the Thai way can't be a realistic option.

Good luck with sorting it out.

Edited by AntMan1

In your situation i would do the same thing as you are doing now. Considering....

Your thoughts should go to your children and you should have the strength to take care of them. Thailand or where you are now they should be prio nr 1.

I wonder how old your'e children are. It would be a very big culture shock to them, and Thai education is not the best. As for getting a teaching job, it would be very hard to get a teaching job in Bangkok without a Batchelors degree. You could get a job up country, but not having a degree would be a disadvantage as the rules keep changing all the time. I had two years teaching in the same school upcountry without a degree although I have two TEFLs, one in Bangkok, and the rules changed which cost me my job. You will also have competition from the Philipinos, they will work for less than half your wages, that is how I lost my first job after a year.