The Hide Of Them

BEVUP

Have a neighbour across the road today expecting me to pay their power bill about 500bht

Reason being because we held an event on their property (they have a good size block)

Previously held event before so this was the second one, & on each ocassion obtained a power meter from the power company for 10,000 bht ( refunding after power costs)

But as you foriegners know we also look after everyone that has helped & the way i did this was to lay a 7000 bht slab of concrete for them (they supplied labour & did mine as well )

So the wife came in with this bill & i hit the roof because of the above, so i threw it out the door THE HIDE OF THEM

Did you make it clear when you paid for the concrete slab that this was the one and only payment for using their property and that it would include your power usage?:

Maybe they thought the concrete slab was for the use of the land and that any other costs you they incurred from you using their property were on top of that.

• Like 1

Pay it!!!!!...and make it known you wont be helping anymore for jobs around the place...cheap lesson for 500 baht.

That is exactly my reaction. 500 baht is a cheap lesson. I give more than that away to friends on a regular basis, but it is the principle of the matter. Maybe they will learn, but probably not.

Pay it!!!!!...and make it known you wont be helping anymore for jobs around the place...cheap lesson for 500 baht.

That is exactly my reaction. 500 baht is a cheap lesson. I give more than that away to friends on a regular basis, but it is the principle of the matter. Maybe they will learn, but probably not.

But as mentioned looked after al of them with whisky & ect & also paid 7000bht for 5mtrs of concrete for their slab & now they want me to pay their entire household power bill after providing my own meter for the event

I understand you annoyance, and you are right, but sometimes greedy people need to be taught a lesson. If you get angry it ascerbates the problem and makes you look bad. But, if you just smile and say there will be no more parties and no more help in the future because they were greedy it puts the ball in their court. Anger never solves problems and it's even more true in Thailand where "face" seems more important than reality.

If you supplied the event meter and there was no claim made or paid after the previous event, then they have no grounds for claiming this domestic power bill. Ask your wife what their reasoning is, if any. A 500 baht domestic bill can't be for much more than a basic, Thai-style, lean-to-on-stilts type of domicile. Maybe they are just broke and hoping for your fat farang wallet good nature and good neighborly benevolence has some excess this Yuletide.

Ive found labour cost close to materials cost when building in Thailand. So if you supplied the concrete for them and yourself and they did the work of laying the slab, this would be about a fair trade Id say. You seem to think they still owe you, Id say perhaps not.

Its only 500 baht, obviously you felt you guys were a bit closer as neighbours and perhaps your neighbours cant afford 500baht, perhaps they feel you have more money than them so should pay.

Meh, just pay it, go open a beer, relax and enjoy it!..next time have the party at your place, save these problems arising.

• Like 1

I understand you annoyance, and you are right, but sometimes greedy people need to be taught a lesson. If you get angry it ascerbates the problem and makes you look bad. But, if you just smile and say there will be no more parties and no more help in the future because they were greedy it puts the ball in their court. Anger never solves problems and it's even more true in Thailand where "face" seems more important than reality.

When for a farlang, yes I agree.

Edited by metisdead
: 30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Did your party goers use their bathroom or any other facilities. Where were the meals prepared.

Was there some mistake with translations or a misunderstanding.

You may have told them that you will be paying for the electricity, meaning that you will pay for the supply that you had put in, but they may have understood that you offered to pay their bill as well.

Sounds like there is some room for discussion, and face-saving all round. Is 500baht really worth getting so stressed over in the short-term, and for possibly causing a bad atmosphere in the future? Smile, talk, and compromise if you can: it seems that there may have been a misunderstanding that can be overcome with relative ease, so everyone can feel better about it (and save face too!)

• Like 1

I would pay it but make sure they know you are not happy about it

and make sure you tell them that you will not be paying it again

ever this will give them something to think about?

Or is it that the missus knows they do not have the money

to pay it and she has offered to pay it for them?

just curious?