Bkk To Khon Kaen By Train..

krisb

Hi, anyone traveled this route by train before, couple questions..

How long does it take?

How many trains leave BKK each day for KK?

How much?

Are there 1st class sleepers or cabins avail?...is the journey long enough to sleep?

Was it a nice trip, good scenery and food and drink onboard? Or, would you fly next time?

Anything else I havnt thought about?

Thanks,

Krisbsmile.png

Hi, anyone traveled this route by train before, couple questions..

I did, so I will go forth

How long does it take?

The timetable says around 9 hours, however.....

How many trains leave BKK each day for KK?

Three nighttrains and one in the daytime

How much?

Between 340 baht third class and 1100 baht first ckass sleeper

Are there 1st class sleepers or cabins avail?

Yes, and also second class sleepers, airco, around 600 baht

...is the journey long enough to sleep?

Yes, nine hours should be enough, and first class beds are good

Was it a nice trip, good scenery and food and drink onboard? Or, would you fly next time?

Some trips nice, some less so due to delays.

Food & drink available, in first class brought to your cabin

Anything else I havnt thought about?

Maybe, if you are travelling alone, and want a whole first class cabin, can reserve for around 1600 baht

In first class, and I seem to remember second class, drinking water is supplied free of charge

The website of SRT,

http://www.railway.co.th/home/Default.asp?lenguage=Eng

will give any information.

Try it out, everything is there, prices, timetable, reservation possibilities, whatever.

In my view it is better to go to Hua Lampong, or any other bigger station, to make the reservation.

• Like 1

there are of course more choices±

the Thai usually go by bus )unless forced by a govmt job to go by train/or opt for the free train, which take much more as 9 hrs~delays'. BUSes come in classes 1/2/4)°VIP) and run ev 30 mins/take around 6 hrs, with meal on board and a short stop halfway.

It's quite an experience by itself.

Have done both classes 1st and 2nd class (lower bunks) sleeper seats. Surprisingly I found the sleeping comfort better in 2nd class than in 1st,

Would I do it again, probably not but I'm glad I did it smile.png

The best part was the restaurant wagon (old style) with a lot of atmosphere and good fun.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Yeah Im taking a bunch of family over to the village for a holiday and thought it might be nice for them (and me) to see some of the Thai country side. Ive done the bus which is a bit cramped and toilets arent very nice and vip mini van wasnt bad at all, but theres something nice about rolling along on a train and just staring out the window. I have never been on any trains in Thailand before and really like the sound of it.

there are of course more choices±

the Thai usually go by bus )unless forced by a govmt job to go by train/or opt for the free train, which take much more as 9 hrs~delays'. BUSes come in classes 1/2/4)°VIP) and run ev 30 mins/take around 6 hrs, with meal on board and a short stop halfway.

Ohh those bus rides are quite awful. I cant recommend buses anywhere in Thailand. Come to think of it I cant recommend them here in Australia either!