Duty Free Whiskey Or Not To Thailand?

JohnIrish

This is not a very sobering question but....

I am married to a Thai and her two brothers like to drink whiskey (what a surprise!).

I will be traveling there in January and I thought I could bring them some whiskey as a gift. Although I am a "seasoned" traveler... I have never purchased anything duty free before. I have no idea of the advantages except I understand you do not pay taxes?

Would it be better to bring or pack whiskey in my luggage from the US or should I buy some duty free whiskey? I am flying EVA from Seattle.. to Taipei , Then Taipei to BKK. I am guessing that I need to purchase it on the 2nd leg (Taipei to BKK?) Should I buy in the Taipei airport or on the plane?

It seems easier just to purchase some in the US and pack it in my luggage. I guess I am confused on the whole "Duty Free" concept. Do you have to declare whiskey when you arrive in Thailand so you have to pay taxes unless duty free?

Also... since I am not a whiskey drinker... what brand would you recommend? How would a mid priced whiskey compare to typical Thai brands? I am looking to buy a good quality whiskey but something that is not terribly expensive since I am not sure what would compare to the whiskey available in Thailand.

thanks

If you're coming from the US, you can almost always find a store that has the booze cheaper than the duty free outlets. You can pack it in your suitcase easily for checkin luggage. The big advantage, though, is you can carry on your purchase from duty free if that's of interest to you.

As for whiskey drinkers here, as mentioned above, they usually cut it with soda. Many times using the cap of the bottle as a measure. IMHO, few Thai's really appreciate good whiskey. I'm pretty sure they'd be tickled pink if you got them Johnny Walker Red. Black would allow them to show off though. thumbsup.gif

If they are true whiskey drinkers and have it neat, then get them something like Maker's Mark....or one of the other fantastic single barrel whiskeys now being sold in the US.

• Like 2

Do be aware that there is no vehicle for you to pay duty on over-limit alcohol even if you declare it in the red channel :(

Limit is 1 litre of alcoholic beverage, be it beer, wine or spirits.

They don't x-ray every bag in the green channel, but if they do and you're caught smuggling over-limit, herein lies a world of hurt (financial hurt that is).

• Like 2

Ha ha... they do have something close to "making their own"..... They buy the "Lao" whiskey. It is in a clay jug. They pour in either water or beer to cut the whiskey. Then, two straws are inserted for people to drink from.

In the US it is illegal to make moonshine. But it is entirely legal to make your own beer and wine. Seems like it's 200 gallons of beer per year. Can't remember. A LOT of people do it because they like their own recipes which can include all sorts of things from a regular beer to a lager to putting in fruits or chocolate.

Now in simple terms, making moonshine whiskey (whisky) is making beer from dried ground corn, sugar, yeast and water, but leaving out the hops, and when the alcohol in the mash reaches a certain level, distilling it. What's left is really good hog feed.

I'm deliberately leaving out the specifics in an attempt to conform to forum rules, but the specifics are out there and common. With the price of wine especially, and even whiskey in LOS I'm surprised there aren't some woodsy types of native Thais making more of it.

If I buy duty free can I buy more than 1 litre? Or can I bring a litre with me and buy another duty free? I definitely want to stay legal.

Yes, they do cut it with soda so the better stuff may not be appreciated.

The legal limit is 1 litre, including duty free and packed.

Ask your wife what brand of Whisky the brothers usually drink - the usual suspects here are (in ascending price), 100 Pipers, Red Label, Black Label, Chivas Regal. Really no point in going overboard, so buy one litre of the next level up from their usual tipple in the USA and put it in your stowed baggage. Don't buy any more drinking alcohol of any sort in duty free. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I used to bring good whisky for the brothers but whisky, vodka, gin, etc doesn't even touch the sides of their throats on the way down and the bottle is finished in quick time. My wife told me they only want the effects and stick to buying them Lao Khao (distilled rice wine) biggrin.png

I bought a bottle of 12 year old Malt for my wife's BIL in whose house we stayed at before we married and built our own place. He gave it a way, and that taught me a big lesson. Never ever again.

Edited by Mosha

Is my two year old allowed to bring in a 18 year old single malt?

I was a little surprised at what I found, most places ciggy's & alcohol you must be of legal age.....anyway this IATA link says each passport holder, assuming your toddler has their own passport you would be fine.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm#Import regulations

OP

On Board check this link - EVA Duty Free Magazine

http://evaair.themecool.com/eBook_Mall/e-books/sky_shop/112012/index.html#/166-167/

TPE I've never had enough time to purchase duty free, sorry I can't help with prices.

Duty free simply means there is NO duty/tax from the country you depart from, as others have said your allowance is one litre and anything above that will be confiscated and or fined so stick to one litre don't start your holiday on a bad note.

Ha ha... they do have something close to "making their own"..... They buy the "Lao" whiskey. It is in a clay jug. They pour in either water or beer to cut the whiskey. Then, two straws are inserted for people to drink from.

In the US it is illegal to make moonshine. But it is entirely legal to make your own beer and wine. Seems like it's 200 gallons of beer per year. Can't remember. A LOT of people do it because they like their own recipes which can include all sorts of things from a regular beer to a lager to putting in fruits or chocolate.

Now in simple terms, making moonshine whiskey (whisky) is making beer from dried ground corn, sugar, yeast and water, but leaving out the hops, and when the alcohol in the mash reaches a certain level, distilling it. What's left is really good hog feed.

I'm deliberately leaving out the specifics in an attempt to conform to forum rules, but the specifics are out there and common. With the price of wine especially, and even whiskey in LOS I'm surprised there aren't some woodsy types of native Thais making more of it.

You missed out the most important/dangerous part, the type of still used and converting a liquid to a gas then back to a liquid.

I used to use a damp cloth to seal the worm onto the dog leg of the still to try and prevent gasses from leaking

No wonder people blow the sides off houses.

JD uses whats left to kick start their next batch, I believe its known as sour mash.

Talking of JD, the best thing ever invented was those bags of JD wood chips, old JD barrels that had been chipped, many a moonshiner has simply tossed a bag of wood chips into a 20 litre container, poured in the moonshine and left it for about a month, the woodchips give a JD taste and colour the moonshine.

I bought a bottle of 12 year old Malt for my wife's BIL in whose house we stayed at before we married and built our own place. He gave it a way, and that taught me a big lesson. Never ever again.

You might be misreading the situation. It's probably not that he didn't welcome the gift - it's just that it was more valuable to him as a present for someone else than as something to drink himself.

You might be misreading the situation. It's probably not that he didn't welcome the gift - it's just that it was more valuable to him as a present for someone else than as something to drink himself.

I call it bad manners especially as he'd only had the damned bottle 10 mins, and yes he's a piss head.

• Like 1

Done it, it was not appreciated at all..a seriously good malt, The MacCallan I think..."our whiskey taste better meh"..get em a bottle of 100 pipers.

Do not exceed 1 litre if you do bring any in, personally I buy mine here and save the hassle of carrying it, duty free aint that much cheaper.

• Like 1

^I don't think you should have any expectations when you give a gift though. I mean, don't even bother to do people the "favor" if you are going to judge them for how appropriately you deem their usage of it. I don't meant to come off as offensive, that is just always exactly what I have thought.

For the OP, go to your local, bar, pub or club, ask them to give you two empty bottles of farang whisky, black label will do, bring the empty bottles with you to Thailand.

On arrival go to the nearest 7/11, buy two bottles of the local rot gut, pour them into the empty bottles you brought with you.

Somchai will be rapped, big face in the village, the natives wont know or notice the difference after they have butchered it with ice and soda.

Talk about pearls before swine.

Duty free simply means there is NO duty/tax from the country you depart from, as others have said your allowance is one litre and anything above that will be confiscated and or fined so stick to one litre don't start your holiday on a bad note.

If you bring in more than 1 litre it will all be confiscated and you will be fined a lot of money relative to the cost of the booze.

Done it, it was not appreciated at all..a seriously good malt, The MacCallan I think..."our whiskey taste better meh"..get em a bottle of 100 pipers.

Do not exceed 1 litre if you do bring any in, personally I buy mine here and save the hassle of carrying it, duty free aint that much cheaper.

Duty free here in Thailand is not cheaper, and many times more expensive than what you can get at a good liquor store. But duty free in other countries can be significantly less expensive.

I was in Egypt last year. Great prices at the airport there.

Donot buy any Whiskey u will get here in Tesco lotus Every Whiskey like 100 pipers,Johnny walker Red ,Black,Green,Jack Ds,Chivas R,buy here only ,may be very little difference less than 50 us dollars

i think thais prefer Laos they like very much or Hong Thong,

Welcome Good luck

Ask your wife what brand of Whisky the brothers usually drink - the usual suspects here are (in ascending price), 100 Pipers, Red Label, Black Label, Chivas Regal. Really no point in going overboard, so buy one litre of the next level up from their usual tipple in the USA and put it in your stowed baggage. Don't buy any more drinking alcohol of any sort in duty free. Problem solved.

This is good advice and is sensitive to custom. I'm not sure if there is anything to be saved in buying 100 pipers duty free. It is my whiskey of choice because i mix with coke zero and it is cheap at your local 7/11. Don't listen to posters who assume all Thais drink the cheap "lao khao" because, while many do, you will offend if they don't. My wife's family have always been happy with 100 pipers. Having added that AyG's advice is spot on the mark.

Buy a bottle of JW Black if you want to make an impression but honestly, bottle of Red is plenty and shows you are not flash w/ cash. Either way, better than what the fools are swilling upcountry anyway.

Ive found my father in law actually has yakrn a shine to bourbon. So its sort of nice to bring "American" whiskey back as its an American gift. Just say...same like Jack Daniels ☺

Booze is not always cheaper in stores in US than Thai DF, depends on state.

Is my two year old allowed to bring in a 18 year old single malt?

I was a little surprised at what I found, most places ciggy's & alcohol you must be of legal age.....anyway this IATA link says each passport holder, assuming your toddler has their own passport you would be fine.

http://www.iatatrave...ails.htm#Import regulations

OP

On Board check this link - EVA Duty Free Magazine

http://evaair.themec....html#/166-167/

TPE I've never had enough time to purchase duty free, sorry I can't help with prices.

If you were going into Australia, you would be allowed 2 botts., but then they are "piss heads" are'nt they rolleyes.gif