Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai 747-400, but I normally use the front Door and turn left. It must be just before landing as the Hostess is not in traditional dress and the curtain between First and Business is open.

Firstly to RabC and the others above who agreed ... clap2.gif

It was indeed a Thai Airlines Boeing 747

• ModeS: 880051
  • Reg: HS-TGB
  • Typecode: B744
  • Type: Boeing 747-4D7
  • Serial number: 32370

post-104736-0-94796900-1367696004_thumb.

Acknowledgements for the other photos used ...

Cattle class … http://www.flickr.com/photos/26952294@N06/6036747955/

Turning left … http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/0/4/1696406.jpg

156061_800.jpg

One image not used, but a great shot ... here

# H001

Try for the ...

• Make and Model

I'll take a stab at a Eurocopter EC-135

Off to an excellent start ... could I press you for the variant?.

My GUESS is a P2. Is it this one?

Spud67 ... well done ... wai.gif

The Wespac Helicopter Rescue chopper - Eurocopter EC-135P-2

Rego VH-NVG

This clip - one of my better efforts ... biggrin.png

Beats me Spud,

I originally thought of a Augusta 139 (or whatever they are called now, Agusta-Westland or Bell-Agusta-Wesstland or something) but it is not, different intakes and 2 blades.

The cockpit has a real Bell look about it, a 412 crossed my mind but it is not. 2 blades, skids, not a 412 boom.

I am leaning towards a model or variant of a B212

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Looks like an A330. From the red engine - Air Asia X??

Yep, KL - Oz

On a side note, for those going to Oz, Cathy Pacific has some great prices every now and then and are a pleasure. Scoot seems to have much better prices than Air Asia X most of the time now, if price is of a concern and AA really pissed me off last time !!.

Thanks for the tip. Have to admit, I am a sucker for Cathay cabin crew - on a par with Air Asia's girls for sure. wub.png

Haven't flown with Scoot. Would be interested to give them a try some time, even if just to do something different.

Don't get me wrong, Scoot are hard core budget. But AirAsia-X seem to be getting very greedy now.

Scoot only have 1 flight a day to BKK at the moment. They are getting, (I think by memory) the first 13 B787s that SQ ordered, meant to be delivered next year, but who knows now with all the delays & hick ups.

Scoot operates in T2 in Singapore, which is handy compared to Tiger, Changi is the best airport int he world in my opinion. Great for passengers and the ATC is great as well. Swampy fails in both regards in comparison !

To Oz, they go to Gold Coast & Sydney.

Gold Coast to BKK Great connections. Return sucks.

BKK - SYD great connections, coming over sucks.

Unless you want to wander around Singapore for a bit, but there are cheap rooms inside thew terminal anyway.

Note, prices quoted departing Oz include taxes etc, other legs do not. (Australian law) Air Asia is meant to be the same, but has now been fined by the Aust Gov no less than 7 times in the last 3 years for ignoring this rule. They really are pricks, cheaper to pay the fine and advertise fake fares.

Anyway, Model?

320px-Scoot_Boeing_777-200ER_KC_Sim.jpg

Image credit, Wikimedia CC-BY-SA Kok Chwee Sim

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Don't get me wrong, Scoot are hard core budget. But AA X seem to be getting very greedy now.

Scoot only have 1 flight a day to BKK at the moment. They are getting, (I think by memory) the first 13 B787s that SQ ordered, meant to be delivered next year, but who knows now with all the delays & hick ups.

Scoot operates in T2 in Singapore, which is handy compared to Tiger, Changi is the best airport int he world in my opinion. Great for passengers and the ATC is great as well. Swampy fails in both regards in comparison !

To Oz, they go to Gold Coast & Sydney.

Gold Coast to BKK Great connections. Return sucks.

BKK - SYD great connections, coming over sucks.

Unless you want to wander around Singapore for a bit, but there are cheap rooms inside thew terminal anyway.

Note, prices quoted departing Oz include taxes etc, other legs do not. (Australian law) Air Asia is meant to be the same, but has now been fined by the Aust Gov no less than 7 times in the last 3 years for ignoring this rule. They really are pricks, cheaper to pay the fine and advertise fake fares.

Anyway, Model?

320px-Scoot_Boeing_777-200ER_KC_Sim.jpg

You really need to rename your files. In the file name - 777-200ER biggrin.png

post-566-0-94887900-1367732515_thumb.jpg

It is actually a B777-200ER

These are operated as a -200. The engines have been de-rated.

Also, I see your comment above but it is also a very low act to use CC images and scrub the embedded data in them like facebook and the pinterest does.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Looks like they are parking it, or manoeuvring it somewhere at least. Big float plane, no idea of the model. De Havilland Beaver??

edit: or possibly an Otter, does look quite big in relation to those 3 chaps pushing it

Being maneuvered to be launched down a boat ramp.

Close, manufactured in the same place as the de Havilland Canada Beaver you mentioned in Downsview, Ontario. But this is not a lovely beaver about to get wet......giggle.gif

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Above is one of the Otters. Otter is to general though, anymore punters?

Below is another one,, the machine in question is the military jet.

They really are a classic. Apparently allot of the testing was done in Korat (Thailand) where they were first based for action as the initial ones crashed allot, not planned, just the way it worked out I read. I am not into that stuff to much though, maybe someone knows more? They turned out to be a huge success once the bugs were ironed out.

What is it?

What country operated this one? (When this image was taken anyway)

Is it taking off or landing?post-171671-0-88149200-1367739902_thumb.

Edit, I just noticed, this pic is to blurry to answer the last 2 questions. It is taking off anyway !

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

One of my favourite aircraft - the General Dynamics F-111.

Looks like it is taking off.

Some of my former RAAF buddies got to fly these. Although the Americans refer to it as the Aardvark - in Australia it is affectionately known as 'the Pig'

There's a great documentary series in Australia called The Real Top Guns. One of the episodes showed the incident where one of the main wheels fell off on take off, and they had to do a belly landing. Pilot showed some great skill on that occasion - he was fresh out of flight conversion school too. Only had a couple of flights on the F-111 prior to that incident.

Yep, it's a RAAF Pig, in the most honorable of ways. Aussies love Bacon !!

I am not sure where I took this photo, I am not even sure what I was doing in that machine at the time. May have been a delivery ferry.

They are typical RAAF hangers in the background just behind the tail, they are covered in grass as they are semi bunker-ed. I can see that in another image as well of it lining up, hence I knew it was taking off.

Where is it I wonder?

It is to green for Tindal NT and no hills. It is probably Townsville QLD but again there are some hill in the back ground there by memory, so maybe Darwin NT is the likely airport ? I never landed in Amberly near Brisbane where they where based I think.

Note, my reference to Korat (Nakon Ratchasima) , was in relation to the USAF operated ones.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach