Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some updated information if this helps?

REGO B-5130

Shanghai Airlines Boeing 737-8Q8

http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/search.php?tag=B-5130

Airframe Details

Construction Number (MSN) - 32801

Line Number - 1666

Aircraft Type - Boeing 737-8Q8

First Flight - 25-02-2005

Operator History

Reg - B-5130

Aircraft Type - Boeing 737-8Q8

Airline - Shanghai Airlines

Engines - 2x CFMI CFM56-7B26

Config - F8Y156

Delivered - 17-03-2005

Remark - lsf ILFC

Above from here

Aviation Photos Boeing 737-8Q8 - 32801 / 1666

Re the Singapore A330 that diverted into BKK with smoke in the hold linked above (& again here)

SQ 446 was carrying 105 passengers and 12 crew on board. The Straits Times reported that they were unhurt during the emergency landing.

I am still a bit surprised that SQ does not have any narrow bodies as the SQ identity. (Not Silk or Grrrr Tiger) On a side note, why cant western countries make a airport like Changi for pax ?

Khun Spud67, R U based in Iqaluit allot? Sorry to hear that if so !!!!!!!tongue.png That is a different planet up there, truly "amazing" lifestyle during the dark months.

FYI to to others, that place is just south of the Arctic Circle, here

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

To all the guys (and potentially girls) ... please keep the posts coming ... thumbsup.gif

As long as they are related to Aircraft and have a 'spotting' element.

Be it a plane you captured a photo of, or one you recently flew in.

Or, like Tywais's YouTube or spud67's rare photos or

SVB contribution, but just to name a few contributors.

I'll keep the bread and butter stuff coming ... though

I admit, that cupboard is emptying quickly.

If you guys can have the more exciting stuff ... things

that us ordinary folk would never see.

Thanks for making this a great thread ... wai.gif

Tywais: Grunman Goose???

Chao Lao Beach: I've been stationed hear for 2 years now and will remain until I bid out for a position down south. However, because of the location I get 2 x 1 month off per year. Not ready to give that up yet. I would only get half that down south.

See if you can figure out where it is and what the aircraft are. Some in the background also. Hint, I took the photo myself.

post-104736-0-76600400-1367005703_thumb.

Had to do a smaller photo to view it.

The path of deduction.

It's in Asia judging by the vegetation.

It's in a lower economic asian country judging by the finish on the hangers.

You took it ... so most likely Thailand.

spud67 reckons it's a Goose ... I'm not about to argue.

The Royal Thai Navy have an operation base at U-Taphao

Apparently they fly the Goose

Way too many planes for it to be an Airport for the Thai Navy's sole use.

U-Taphao is a shared facility.

My guess is U-Taphao, home of the Royal Thai Navy First Air Wing ... ?

See if you can figure out where it is and what the aircraft are. Some in the background also. Hint, I took the photo myself.

You took it ... so most likely Thailand.

spud67 reckons it's a Goose ... I'm not about to argue.

The Royal Thai Navy have an operation base at U-Taphao

Apparently they fly the Goose

Way too many planes for it to be an Airport for the Thai Navy's sole use.

U-Taphao is a shared facility.

My guess is U-Taphao, home of the Royal Thai Navy First Air Wing ... ?

Utapao - correct. Goose, close but not quite right.

How about the other aircraft types? A closeup of the plane in the middle and the large number of aircraft in the background. Hint - I took this photo in 1968. SeaVisionBurma?

plane2.jpg

Woo HOOOOO!!!

Funny - it used to be on our aircraft recognition list when I was in the Air Training Corps as a teenager. We had to learn most current types for the RAAF, RAF, US military, and even Russian aircraft. I also remember seeing them when we got invited aboard visiting US aircraft carriers which would come to Perth for R & R or exercises with our air force.

The Grumman Albatross reminds me of a similar aircraft which is still in use off the northern coast of Australia - the Mallard.

Used to fly to work on the pearl farms in these

Grumman Mallard - Paspaley pearling

post-136-0-14686900-1367030923_thumb.jpg

Photo of one during a crew change at one of the Paspaley pearl farms between Broome and Darwin

...the remaining aircraft in the background of the photo are not too difficult to guess, by their sheer numbers.

This might be a good hint (unless I'm wrong of course)

Partially correct. The ones in the very far back are but the ones closer aren't. Think support of the musical group. biggrin.png

post-566-0-74182700-1367032050_thumb.jpg

The Young Tigers and Their Friends

By Walter J. Boyne

Sometimes the tanker crews bent the rules to ensure that strike aircraft, critically low on fuel, made it home.

The heartfelt phrase "Thanks, that's a save!" was heard more than 500 times during the Vietnam War as hardworking "Young Tiger" crews of KC-135 tankers moved into harm's way, delivering salvation to strike aircraft perilously low on fuel. Ironically, many of those saves were never officially recorded simply because they occurred when the tankers left their normal orbits to enter enemy airspace, in violation of standing instructions.

Any one of the saves was spectacular-particularly to the fighter pilot who was being saved-but what was possibly the most incredible save of the war illustrates the bravery, ingenuity, and persistence of the tanker crews in general.

There was some good fortune as well in the May 31, 1967, Young Tiger mission over the Gulf of Tonkin, when a KC-135 tanker commanded by Maj. John H. Casteel saved six Navy aircraft with a complex and totally unscheduled refueling. The KC-135's original mission was to refuel two F-104 Starfighters, using the drogue adapter that the probe-equipped F-104s required. Casteel's tanker refueled the two F-104s and was then told of an emergency involving two Navy KA-3 "Whale" tanker aircraft, which also used probes.

The first Whale hooked up, indicating that it had only three minutes' usable fuel. Its systems had malfunctioned, and it could not use fuel it had in its refueling tanks. After transferring 2,300 pounds, the KC-135 then refueled the second KA-3 just as it was notified that two Navy F-8 Crusaders were on scene and short of fuel.

One of the F-8 fighters had only 300 pounds remaining and immediately hooked up with the second Whale even as it was taking on fuel from the KC-135, initiating history's first trilevel refueling. As this was going on, the first KA-3 shared its slender fuel supply with the second Crusader. It then moved into position to refuel again from the KC-135.

So far Casteel and his crew had had a pretty productive day, refueling the F-104s, and saving two KA-3s and two F-8s.

However, the action was not yet complete. Two Navy F-4 Phantoms now arrived on scene, and neither had sufficient fuel to return to their carrier. Already low on fuel itself, the KC-135 turned south toward Da Nang, refueling the two F-4s en route.

When it landed, the KC-135 had less than 10,000 pounds of fuel remaining for its own use. The boom operator, MSgt. Nathan C. Campbell, had earned his pay, saving no fewer than six Navy aircraft. Casteel's crew, including the copilot, Capt. Richard L. Trail, and the navigator, Capt. Dean L. Hoar, received Distinguished Flying Crosses for the action. The crew subsequently was awarded the Mackay Trophy.

Airforcemag

Alright - this one is as far removed from military aircraft and airliners as you can get.

It is the first aircraft I learned to fly in.

Model and country of origin please.

Bonus points - what exactly is happening in this photo?

post-136-0-30671300-1367033742_thumb.jpg

Alright - this one is as far removed from military aircraft and airliners as you can get.

It is the first aircraft I learned to fly in.

Model and country of origin please.

Bonus points - what exactly is happening in this photo?

attachicon.gif001.jpg

Blanik Glider/Sailplane - wench or car launched.

//edit - probably winch launched as I see a car/truck would end up in the woods.

Some excellent postings above ... clap2.gif

That KC-135 Stratotanker clip is breathtaking.

Why are it's wings 'clipped' as opposed to say a domestic plane?

EDITED to add ... that is one of the best clips I have ever watched

... not too sure about the music choice though!

Edited by David48

Some excellent postings above ... clap2.gif

Not sure what you mean. Winglets? At that time wingtip vortices where not well understood. Later after a much better understanding of improving the airflow and buffeting due to wingtip vortices, winglets emerged.

If you mean blunt ends. The KC135 is a tanker with a massive load and needs as much 'full' wing surface area as possible for lift. Those tiny pointed tips in commercial help stream line air flow but no help in improving lift capability.

//edit - in addition, the plane has to be able to fly slow and be very stable when refueling, as such the much larger raw surface area gives that.

By clipped - do you mean no winglets? or flat ends?

The use of winglets came later - that technology didn't exist in the 50's when these aircraft were developed.

Flat ends were to maximise lift (more surface area = greater lift force), as opposed to having them taper off into a point.

By clipped - do you mean no winglets? or flat ends?

The use of winglets came later - that technology didn't exist in the 50's when these aircraft were developed.

Flat ends were to maximise lift (more surface area = greater lift force), as opposed to having them taper off into a point.

Great minds and all SVB. biggrin.png