Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

Thanks Khun Google, here is a link of what you are talking about I think.

Remarkable Sonar Image Shows Intact German WWII Bomber

Story here: http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-09-09_sonar.asp

and here : http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/things-to-see-and-do/dornier-17-conservation.aspx

Dornier1.jpg

A sonar side-scan image of a Dornier 17 that has been

on the bottom of the English Channel for 70 years.

Courtesy: RAF Museum

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to break this thread up a bit from modern jet liners. Anyway, 99% of my pics of big planes are sitting on hard drives not in Thailand, it is bringing back allot of great memories scanning in pics from some old albums of years ago. Some are very low res by the time I crop them though.

Next Plane

Some chaps speak of these jets more passionately than their wives ( or giks ).

I don't know their exact series number, what is this basic aircraft type?

Make & Model ? Hint, it has lots of numbers in its name & was a "star" in its day for some operators, but only 250 total were built.

post-171671-0-76312400-1367744680_thumb.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Just trying to break this thread up a bit from modern jet liners. Anyway, 99% of my pics of big planes are sitting on hard drives not in Thailand, it is bringing back allot of great memories scanning in pics from some old albums of years ago. Some are very low res by the time I crop them though.

Next Plane

Make & Model ? Hint, it has lots of numbers in its name & was a "star" in its day for some operators, but only 250 total were built.

attachicon.gifplane7-tv.jpg

There's another shot of one of these here - landing at Kai Tak. I won't embed the image as it is quite large.

Nice description by the way - lots of numbers and a 'star' in its day biggrin.png

Next Plane

attachicon.gifplane7-tv.jpg

There's another shot of one of these here - landing at Kai Tak. I won't embed the image as it is quite large.

Nice description by the way - lots of numbers and a 'star' in its day biggrin.png

Sea Vision your pic is a Lockheed Tristar L1011 but not the same aircraft as in Chao Lao pic.

Confused of Pattaya?

RabC, you are correct. It is not a TriStar. I assumed it was in my haste & old age, but it is actually a Tupolev.

Tu-154 Tri-Jet ?

I took allot of Ruskie jet images at this airport actually when passing through.

I have some where heaps of pics of an Ilyushin II-96 which is the A340 copy

and

The very fast II-62 (looks like a MD-80 / B717 on steroids) with 4 donks down the back leaving a trail of black smoke. Talk about ground hogs, they regularly used EVERY bit of runway, climbed out extreamly shallow, but at height they were damn fast, I am not sure how fast, but they would over take B747's which many people will tell you is the fastest civil jet liner. The pilots of the II-62 (who were bloody wild by the way and 'partied' like no-one else - and their hosties) claimed that the II-62 reset many of the records. I don't really know.

Below is a Il-76 !!!! Some you you may get a giggle.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I am not sure how fast, but they would over take B747's which many people will tell you is the fastest civil jet liner.

Apropos of which, I recall once looking out of the window of a BA B757 headed eastwards for IST, and seeing Concorde pass us at a fair rate of knots. Beautiful bird ! thumbsup.gif

Wonder which was faster, Concorde or Concord-ski ?

I really do not know about the Concorde & the copy, Tupolev Tu-144 . Wiki doesn't mention a max speed for the Tu-144, but indicates a faster cruise speed for the concord. I am sure that info is on other sites though.

I was referring to sub-sonic commercial jet airliners. Do note that the Cessna Citation X (Ten) holds many of the civil production aircraft records. I remember reading that the Gulfstream-650 has grabbed some of those though, but not really sure.

Wiki indicates that he B747-400 is faster by a bees dick than the IL-62 for max speed. I think it comes down to operators as well, how they operate them. A tiny bit more speed can cost you heaps of juice.

I have been lucky to climb all over lots of Russian civilian hardware, I find it really interesting and really love how so many times, problems have been solved so simply. Almost comically simple compared to what I have been used to.

Many of the Ruskie crews are also so damn friendly and let you spend hours playing. Order a GPU and fire up the cockpit playing on a long lay over. I see many Russian tourist are really tight in Thailand, as a general comment, the airline crews are not shy to pay huge bills for many rounds of shots in my experence.

Do understand that often, a particular hotel actively tries to get contracts with many airlines, so it by default has many crews in house at any one time, hence shinangians.

Often its bar or a near by bar is full of layover airline staff who have many days to kill, and after a while, it is just killing time. If you are single, Ruskies are seriously hard core and fun to hang out with if you are open minded to different cultural's.

But....................What happens on layovers, stay on layovers coffee1.gif

Note, GPU = Ground Power Unit - a Mobile generator that lives at airports, that provide electrical power when the planes Engines / APU is shut down.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

What a great chance for me to sit back and relax and watch the show for a while ... I hand you the keys for the thread.

Thanks for all the great contributions above and nice to see the diversification in the Aircraft (including the helicopters) being discussed.

Cheers

David48

What a great chance for me to sit back and relax and watch the show for a while ... I hand you the keys for the thread.

Thanks for all the great contributions above and nice to see the diversification in the Aircraft (including the helicopters) being discussed.

Cheers

David48

I re-read your first post on this thread with some amusement...

"So, whiles it's a tad quiet during the Festive Season* maybe a spot of Plane Spotting might keep you amused."

Your 'spot of plane spotting' thread now has over 1,000 contributions and almost 13,000 views. I would have to say it has been a success.

This one is just for amusement as it is way too easily recognized. Before the A380 ever flew commercially, it came to Iqaluit, in the Canadian Arctic, for cold weather testing. This past January it returned for more cold weather testing. This time it had the new power plant(s) for the new A350 strapped beneath the wing. I do not know how many of the engines were A350 and how many were A380. I would guess only one was new. If you look closely at the fuselage in the first pic, it reads 'A380 flying the A350 engine'.

I was warmly ensconced in Bkk while it burdened our aprons, so I post pics taken by a colleague. I think there was some concern that our weather had warmed up to -20C while they were here, as opposed to our normal -30C.

post-170438-0-22025900-1367797383_thumb.

post-170438-0-24490300-1367797573_thumb.

post-170438-0-59038300-1367797666_thumb.

Make & Model ? tongue.png

attachicon.gifplane10-tv.jpg

Paddington Flyer??

I am not 100% sure it is a Paddington Bear actually, but may be !!! This is an interesting one. I left a clue in the image. referring to the post in # 1030

Manufacture

Model

Registration

Serial number

Near as I can tell, VH-OJB was a B747-400 for Qantas (QF26). Possibly out of service now.

I was unsure anyone would get my Winnie the Pooh reference so I went with a more British bear.biggrin.png

Make

Model of both of them

attachicon.gifplane6-tv.jpg

I have not driven either of these, but it is good pic for here I think. Taken at Brisbane airport near Adagold.

The farther aircraft appears to be a Falcon 50.

The closer looks a bit like a LJ but I think the tail is wrong.

Note, GPU = Ground Power Unit - a Mobile generator that lives at airports, that provide electrical power when the planes Engines / APU is shut down.

I'm reminded by this, of an interesting story, about the VC-10's first tour of Africa.

Having flown into Harare, and spent a few hours on-the-ground, they wanted to start-engines for the next leg, but found that there were no suitable GPUs available locally. So someone went off in a pick-up truck, and returned with a cylinder of compressed-gas, from a nearby hospital. Using this to blast gas through the front of an engine, they were thus able to 'bump-start' the engine, and thus the remaining three, and continue their journey.

No idea how true the story was, but it certainly makes for an amusing mental-image ! laugh.png