Caught By The Strange Thai Booze Law

rene123

Villa seems to be exempt from this law. Also you can buy bulk amounts to get around it, 1 case of beer is normally enough, perhaps with a couple of additional bottles just to make sure.

They're not exempt, they just choose to ignore it. It's still a family-owned entity rather than some big public company (like Tesco's, 7-11, Big C, et al) -- that's the only reason I can think of as to why. Most mom and pop shops also couldn't care less.

Yeah, you're probably right that they aren't 'officially' exempt, but still they're a lot bigger than an independent mom'n'pop shop, so it's curious as to how they've got away with ignoring it for so long. I think an unofficial, off the record agreement must have been made somewhere along the way.

Yeah, you're probably right that they aren't 'officially' exempt, but still they're a lot bigger than an independent mom'n'pop shop, so it's curious as to how they've got away with ignoring it for so long. I think an unofficial, off the record agreement must have been made somewhere along the way.

I kinda doubt that. I've never heard of the law being enforced, so it's no big deal. Unless maybe if you're a publicly-traded company that can't afford risking criminal action which might get your shares suspended.

I finally got my 2 bottles of Uncle Tom R rum that jaideeguy recommended and I'm going to share it with friends. The traffic going south on Hang Dong road was totally absent, but the traffic coming out of the Airport plaza was plugged. You can always work around Thai laws, and that is what I like about the country. In Canada you can only buy hard liquor at designated liquor stores, and only when they are open.