Thai Girlfriend With Uk Visa & Applying For Schengen Visa

Was hoping to get some advice on applying for the Schengen visa for my Thai GF, who will be holding a UK 6 month visitor visa.

-Does she need to be apply for the Schengen visa in Thailand, before she returns to the UK?

-If she needs to apply for it in Thailand, which is generally the best consulate to do this at?

-Is it possible for her to apply for a Schengen visa whilst in the UK? (Last year we tried to go to Republic of Ireland & were told by the Irish consulate in London, that she couldn't apply for the visa in London & that she needed to do this in Thailand)

Thanks for any advice & help.

Schengen visa applications must be made in the applicant's country of residence; so she cannot apply for one in the UK if she is there as a visitor. If she lives in Thailand, she applies in Thailand.

She applies either to the country she will be visiting or, if touring, the country she will visit first.

BTW, like the UK, the RoI is not a member of the Schengen area and Schengen visas are not valid for the RoI. If she wishes to visit the RoI she will need a separate Irish visa which she needs to apply for in Bangkok.

Thanks for the advice.

With regards to which consulate to apply for it though, I know it should be done at the consulate where we plan to spend most of our time or country where we will first go, but if you have any advice on which consulate is easiest to apply with, then we can plan some short trips around this. Our most likely ports of call will be France, Spain, Portugal, Holland, perhaps Germany.

Also, if granted and approved, how many days/months does she have to use it within?

Cheers

Each embassy should follow the same rules in dealing with applications; but anecdotal evidence suggests some are more efficient than others.

I cannot comment any further as I have never applied for a Schengen visa in Bangkok. Hopefully someone who has will contribute.

The maximum stay in the Schengen area for a tourist is 90 days, but from this post by VisasPlus

"In general you receive your first Schengen-visa with a validity covering only the duration of your planned stay in the Schengen-Area (e.g. from November 1 to 12). The maximum duration of stay in the Schengen-Area is always the number of days that are stated in the visa ! The duration is counted from the date of the first entry into the Schengen-Area."

Thanks for the advice.

With regards to which consulate to apply for it though, I know it should be done at the consulate where we plan to spend most of our time or country where we will first go, but if you have any advice on which consulate is easiest to apply with, then we can plan some short trips around this. Our most likely ports of call will be France, Spain, Portugal, Holland, perhaps Germany.

Also, if granted and approved, how many days/months does she have to use it within?

Cheers

I found Switzerland easy.

BTW, there's a question asking for dates that she will be in the Schengen area.. I suggest using a large window during her UK visa validity and not specific days you have in mind for a trip or, like me, you'll get a visa valid for precisely those days which can't be used again.

Remember for the days you give she will need Insurance from one of the companies recommended by the Embassy, 10 days is around 1000 baht, 6 months is about 4000baht (around this price, as wife did not need for that long), these insurances have more benefits but you can pay less for less benefits.

I have used both French and Italian Embassy on both times my gf was granted a visa for both, make sure you have your itinerary and where she lands first she should have the visa for that place, if you are going to multiplie places.

We used the same documentation for the Schengen visa as we did with the UK visa. On the Italian visa there was a request for our 22 year daughter to return to the embassy on her return, not for my younger daughter 17 or gf.

Remember for the days you give she will need Insurance from one of the companies recommended by the Embassy, 10 days is around 1000 baht, 6 months is about 4000baht (around this price, as wife did not need for that long), these insurances have more benefits but you can pay less for less benefits.

Could you post (or PM if posting not allowed) the insurance co. you used.

Thanks in advance. wai2.gif

You girlfriend can apply always a schengen visa in Thailand or the UK.

When apply at a other member state embassey fill the form that she is a family member of UK citizen ( you )

When travel together with family member ( together with UK citizen, you ) the visa is free of charge ( EU directive 2004/38 art 5.2 )

Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain

the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as

soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure.

Its her right to travel to an other member state aswell ( EU directive 2004/38 art 5.2 )

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:229:0035:0048:en:pdf

Sheers coffee1.gif

When apply at a other member state embassey fill the form that she is a family member of UK citizen ( you )

When travel together with family member ( together with UK citizen, you ) the visa is free of charge ( EU directive 2004/38 art 5.2 )

Its her right to travel to an other member state aswell ( EU directive 2004/38 art 5.2 )

http://eur-lex.europ...035:0048:en:pdf

Sheers coffee1.gif

A Girlfriend and boyfriend is not considered a relationship that is counted as a family member, so she has to apply in Thailand.

please read the Art 3 from the mentioned directive.

quote:

Article 3

Beneficiaries

1. This Directive shall apply to all Union citizens who move

to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they

are a national, and to their family members as defined in point

2 of Article 2 who accompany or join them.

2. Without prejudice to any right to free movement and

residence the persons concerned may have in their own right,

the host Member State shall, in accordance with its national

legislation, facilitate entry and residence for the following

persons:

(a) any other family members, irrespective of their nationality,

not falling under the definition in point 2 of Article 2 who,

in the country from which they have come, are dependants

or members of the household of the Union citizen having

the primary right of residence, or where serious health

grounds strictly require the personal care of the family

member by the Union citizen;

(b ) the partner with whom the Union citizen has a durable

relationship, duly attested.

The host Member State shall undertake an extensive examination

of the personal circumstances and shall justify any denial

of entry or residence to these people.

Mostley our Thai grilfriends are our partners and yes she is dependend.

Edited by NoBrains

Omni visa london will get her a shengen visa as they did with my wife to visit spain from uk, they charged about 40 pounds all in and it was processed in about 2 days, google their number.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect App

Just apply on the Spanish embassey yourself and it cost you zero pounds !

Only if married to an EU person.

Omni visa london will get her a shengen visa as they did with my wife to visit spain from uk, they charged about 40 pounds all in and it was processed in about 2 days, google their number.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Thaivisa Connect App

At the time you applied your wife was living in the UK with you, the OP's case is different as she is on holiday there.

She cannot apply in the UK because she is not a UK resident. Schengen visas must be applied for in the applicant's country of residence; in this case Thailand.

A girlfriend or boyfriend is only treated as a family member if they are considered by the embassy concerned to be your unmarried partner; i.e. living together in a relationship akin to marriage and have been for some time. Even thn, you have to prove to the embassy concerned that this is so.

See Directive 2004/38/EC’s definition of “Family Member” and "other" family members who are beneficiaries.

http://eur-lex.europ...035:0048:en:pdf

Sheers coffee1.gif

A Girlfriend and boyfriend is not considered a relationship that is counted as a family member, so she has to apply in Thailand.

100 % correct

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

thewaggaringa who has opend this Topic his girlfriend has a 6 months UK visa so she must considered be a member of his household, normaly you get only 90 days. Aswell it depends which member state you apply the Schengen Visa, Spain, Sweden, Hungary and baltic states are more flexiable to interpret who is family member. ( national law ) .

If you have a child with your Thai girlfriend and you not married then aswell you have a durable relationship !

The Swedish route is very populair for Danish citizen, the Belgium/German route for Dutch citizen to get there partner easy over to europe.

thewaggaringa who has opend this Topic his girlfriend has a 6 months UK visa so she must considered be a member of his household, normaly you get only 90 days.

Totally wrong; the standard length for a UK visit visa, whether family or general, is 6 months.

You seem confused; the UK is not part of the Schengen area and Schengen rules are irrelevant when it comes to UK visas, and vice versa.

Read the link I provided earlier to the regulations and explanation of same. Having a child together may be acceptable evidence of a durable relationship, but the couple would still need to show that they are living together. A child would only reduce the length of time that they would need to have been doing so.

Edited by 7by7

She cannot apply in the UK because she is not a UK resident. Schengen visas must be applied for in the applicant's country of residence; in this case Thailand.

This what 7by7 said here above is only for a schengen D visa !

The entry or holiday schengen visa max 90 days is a C visa.

thewaggaringa who has opend this Topic his girlfriend has a 6 months UK visa so she must considered be a member of his household, normaly you get only 90 days.

Totally wrong; the standard length for a UK visit visa, whether family or general, is 6 months.

You seem confused; the UK is not part of the Schengen area and Schengen rules are irrelevant when it comes to UK visas, and vice versa.

Read the link I provided earlier to the regulations and explanation of same. Having a child together may be acceptable evidence of a durable relationship, but the couple would still need to show that they are living together. A child would only reduce the length of time that they would need to have been doing so.

No im not confused as i see aswell 3 months UK visa's in the past , my wife got aswell a 6 months UK visa within the same day of application in Brussels ( im Dutch )

@ NoBrains You are totally confusing readers of this thread, the OP's girlfriend hopes to get a six month tourist visa for the UK, this is the normal length of visitor visa to the UK , not 90 days.

As has been pointed out already by a number of people who know the rules, to apply for a visitors visa for the Schengen Area you must do so in the country where you reside, in case Thailand.

The OP has said nothing to suggest that him and his girlfriend are living together in a relationship akin to marriage.

@ thewaggaringa It would seem that your girlfriend hasn't yet received her visa for the UK, I would strongly recommend that when she receives it and you are sure what countries you wish to visit, she then applies to the relevant consulates in Bangkok. It will be a lot easier here and certainly better than trying to argue the case when you are in the UK.

@ NoBrains You are totally confusing readers of this thread, the OP's girlfriend hopes to get a six month tourist visa for the UK, this is the normal length of visitor visa to the UK , not 90 days.

As has been pointed out already by a number of people who know the rules, to apply for a visitors visa for the Schengen Area you must do so in the country where you reside, in case Thailand.

The OP has said nothing to suggest that him and his girlfriend are living together in a relationship akin to marriage.

@ thewaggaringa It would seem that your girlfriend hasn't yet received her visa for the UK, I would strongly recommend that when she receives it and you are sure what countries you wish to visit, she then applies to the relevant consulates in Bangkok. It will be a lot easier here and certainly better than trying to argue the case when you are in the UK.

I know the rules: a Schengen D-visa which is a longstay visa ( more then 90 days ) and you intent to apply for residence in a Schengen member state. This visa must be applied in country of residence.

A Schengen (holiday) Visa which is a C-visa max 90 days can be applied all over the world if its not your country of residence.

Read chapter II art 3. http://eur-lex.europ...001:0096:EN:PDF

Don't let you send away from a embassey when they say you need to apply in your country of residence.

Some embasseys don't know the rules.....point to the instructions.

Example: A Thai bizz man has a UK visa todo bizz and stay in the UK, suddenly his plans change as he must go to the Netherlands for a meeting, he should go back to Thailand to apply for a C visa shortstay visa ? noway nonsens. He can apply in the UK at the Dutch embassey.

Edited by NoBrains

Well, I'm not sure, but the German Embassy in UK say this about applying for short visit visa in the UK :

Information about Schengen visas

The common 'Schengen' visa is a visa for short stays (tourism, visit or business) for the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

• As of 26 March 1995, Foreigners travelling to one of the aforementioned countries may receive a visa for a short stay of 1 to 90 days (maximum), which is valid for all these countries.
  • There is no legal right to a visa.
  • The visa application has to be presented to the Embassy of the country of main destination (determined by the purpose of the journey and the length of stay). If your main destination cannot be ascertained, the Schengen state through which you first enter the territory of these countries is responsible for granting the visa.
  • Different documents are required depending on the purpose of your journey. Additional documents or information may be required.
  • Furthermore, you must possess a valid Residence Permit for the UK. If you are residing in Scotland or some parts of northern England you may have to apply at our Consulate-General in Edinburgh. Consult their website or contact them directly to check which cachement area you fall in.