Airbag Upgrade Old Car?

Sandman77

Hello is it possible to install a airbag on a 10 -15 year old car? How much does it coasts ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I suppose any thing is possible. But the expense would be large. Just buy a new car if you want airbags.

What car is it?

sent from my Q6

Hello is it possible to install a airbag on a 10 -15 year old car? How much does it coasts ?

I suppose any thing is possible. But the expense would be large. Just buy a new car if you want airbags.

What car is it?

sent from my Q6

And it won't increase resale either. Wife said Thais don't care too much about airbagsblink.png I think the expense would be prohibitive and no guarantee the job will be done properly.

Some time ago now, but I spend a day at a friends Car tent................ 2 Honda's sat next to each other, same year, same colour, same price.. The Accord well was a standard Accord in good condition... the other was a Vigor, so had Climate control, leather, cruise control, ABS, Airbags etc and in very good condition. + cost 900,000 baht more than the Accord when new

Not one single person looked at the Vigor, lots looked at the Accord. I have been here over 9 years and still cannot figure out why Thais appear happy with No ABS or Air-bags, even when offered the choice for the same price... for me the choice is easy must have Airbags and ABS

Some time ago now, but I spend a day at a friends Car tent................ 2 Honda's sat next to each other, same year, same colour, same price.. The Accord well was a standard Accord in good condition... the other was a Vigor, so had Climate control, leather, cruise control, ABS, Airbags etc and in very good condition. + cost 900,000 baht more than the Accord when new

Not one single person looked at the Vigor, lots looked at the Accord. I have been here over 9 years and still cannot figure out why Thais appear happy with No ABS or Air-bags, even when offered the choice for the same price... for me the choice is easy must have Airbags and ABS

Probably two factors - they didn't know what a vigor was, and if they did, would be concerned with the cost of spare parts and servicing. Were they ever officially sold here by honda? I haven't seen too many on the road. What gets me even more is when boy racers take out the airbag so they can put on some silly stab-you-in-the-face steering wheel. To save a few kgs and for looks in trade for your life? Very strange indeed...

What gets me even more is when boy racers take out the airbag so they can put on some silly stab-you-in-the-face steering wheel. To save a few kgs and for looks in trade for your life? Very strange indeed...

Yes just look in some of these Mini Buses, often see in passing some of these rows, the alarming amount of after market wheels or the ones with wood or a big 'L' in the middle. [of course some may have had an accident and company will not pay for new airbag wheels?

Edit: went North early this month by VIP bus, think I was the only one to use the seat belt......... coming back all the belts were under the seat, fixed there by plastic ties.. safety 1st ?? blink.png

Edited by ignis

To the OP: It's a few years ago now, but no dealer in North America was allowed to retrofit airbags to a vehicle. The system could only be installed at the factory. I would not attempt it, if it were at all possible. And would you want something as complicated as an airbag system -- I'm talking about crash structure, interior fittings, wiring harness, auto computer, etc. -- installed in a Thai garage? And if it could, the cost would be astronomical. As others have suggested, buy a second-hand or new vehicle with original safety restraint system (SRS).

It would also depend on the vehicle. For example, like I have a jeep wrangler (as a spare car) which does not have airbags. The later model Jeeps were fitted with airbags. It would be easier to add airbags to it because there is already a prebuilt system to graft it on there. However, doing so would be a major pain and would really be more effort and cost than just selling and buying a car with airbags. If you are doing it without any type of factory made system, you will be in for some major work.

OP do you want the airbag for safety ?

Sure someone can remember and find the Post. ....... long time ago, regarding a accident and safety issues on cars here.

The guy was out with his wife, in there top of the range Toyota and had a bad accident, cannot remember if the airbags went off, they were both out, and the rescuers were unable to get in to help....... Doors automatic lock here as you drive off, also the film on the windows = you cannot break the glass, it was only when one of them came to were they able to unlock and then be taken to the Hospital.

Also sure somewhere I read about heavy accidents and the airbags was not deployed..

For the American market kit cars and low volume sports cars must have airbags apparently. This stops most British companies bothering with the US market, but some do. So obviously someone somewhere does fit them, but it looks like it is expensive.

Edit: obviously not Thailand, but possible.

Edited by arthurwait

What car is it?

sent from my Q6

And it won't increase resale either. Wife said Thais don't care too much about airbagsblink.png I think the expense would be prohibitive and no guarantee the job will be done properly.

And only one way to find out if it works or NOT. w00t.gif

I also think that airbags are a bit overrated in terms of safety. It's like this, for a small car like a Honda Brios, Nissan March, etc., yes of course I want an airbag. However, if you ask me what I think is "safer" a small car with an airbag, or big honkin' lifted 4x4 truck without airbag, I'd go for the truck.

To the OP: It's a few years ago now, but no dealer in North America was allowed to retrofit airbags to a vehicle. The system could only be installed at the factory. I would not attempt it, if it were at all possible. And would you want something as complicated as an airbag system -- I'm talking about crash structure, interior fittings, wiring harness, auto computer, etc. -- installed in a Thai garage? And if it could, the cost would be astronomical. As others have suggested, buy a second-hand or new vehicle with original safety restraint system (SRS).

Correcting SRS: It's Supplemental Restraint System. Cannot edit my original post.

I also think that airbags are a bit overrated in terms of safety. It's like this, for a small car like a Honda Brios, Nissan March, etc., yes of course I want an airbag. However, if you ask me what I think is "safer" a small car with an airbag, or big honkin' lifted 4x4 truck without airbag, I'd go for the truck.

An airbag does not protect as well as a seat belt..

The airbag is to protect your face/head from impact with the steering wheel, the impact due to the force of the crash . The heavier the car the greater the force and greater the impact, the more need for an airbag.

Most people would, but that would (generally) be a poor decision.

The airbag is to protect your face/head from impact with the steering wheel, the impact due to the force of the crash . The heavier the car the greater the force and greater the impact, the more need for an airbag.

Depends of the type of the crash,the lighter car with airbags could be safer....

I don't think it is possible, but even if it were, I'd be willing to wager it would cost more than the car is worth. Back in the '90s a US company Breed Corp did make replacement steering wheels with airbags for older cars but these weren't successful as the sensor was contained within the steering wheel. When you buy any car with an air bag, the bumper has been specifically designed for the sensors to work; to retrofit an old car you'd have to find a 'donor-car' (same make and model with air bags) and strip out all the dash, steering column, sensors, wiring and bumper and pay to have it fitted in your car. It may not even fit and would beg the question, why not just buy and drive the other car?