"visa Run" From Cm To .... Anywhere

pete66

I always enjoy the VIP bus. I book a week or more in advance so I can get the first seat on the left (facing forward.) More leg room and no one next to me. I bring ear plugs and a small blanket, get on the bust in the morning and go back to sleep. I wake up in Mai Sai, grab a motorbike taxi to the border rather than wait the 10 minutes for the songtaow, and cross into Burma. I spend a few minutes browsing around the stalls, just looking for something I can't pass up, cross back into Thailand and take a bike taxi back to the bus station. I have a nice quiet lunch at one of the shops behind the station and read a book for an hour, then get back on the bus. Ear plugs and blankie... wake up in Chiang Mai. Couldn't be much more relaxing than that!

I will never risk cramping myself into a mini-van for a long ride again. Once was too often. Especially just to save a couple of hours.

Must be old age creeping up with that much sleep needed.biggrin.png

Creeping up, Horsepucky! Storming in like a batallion of Marines! I SOOO regrete every nap I never took and fought against when I was a little kid! If only they would offer them to me today!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoy the VIP bus. I book a week or more in advance so I can get the first seat on the left (facing forward.) More leg room and no one next to me. I bring ear plugs and a small blanket, get on the bust in the morning and go back to sleep. I wake up in Mai Sai, grab a motorbike taxi to the border rather than wait the 10 minutes for the songtaow, and cross into Burma. I spend a few minutes browsing around the stalls, just looking for something I can't pass up, cross back into Thailand and take a bike taxi back to the bus station. I have a nice quiet lunch at one of the shops behind the station and read a book for an hour, then get back on the bus. Ear plugs and blankie... wake up in Chiang Mai. Couldn't be much more relaxing than that!

I will never risk cramping myself into a mini-van for a long ride again. Once was too often. Especially just to save a couple of hours.

Must be old age creeping up with that much sleep needed.biggrin.png

Creeping up, Horsepucky! Storming in like a batallion of Marines! I SOOO regrete every nap I never took and fought against when I was a little kid! If only they would offer them to me today!

I can't get away from them.wai2.gif

This is how I'm going to do it.

Cheap, comfortable, single-day, (hopefully) hassle-free.

As for the guy that said it was a long day, try the BKK trip to the Cambodian border, that's 7.30am to 8.00pm, nearly all on the bus. One toilet trip on the way there, one of the way back wink.png

Great. Many thanks. Wasn't expecting so many clear replies so quickly.

I see the Aya Travel Service is minibus. Much prefer the "VIP bus" option if possible as mentioned by "Masuk". Anyone put a name to a service that uses a tour bus not minivans?

Thx again!!

Not sure why you would prefer that since its just a regular coach which takes way longer drops you out of town so you have to take a motorbike taxi to the border and then you have to wait for the next bus back to CM getting back 7.30 or so

The Mini bus is way more VIP way faster and convenient than that bus but if you still want to take that bus then just go the bus station and buy a ticket.

DK

Is the mini bus as comfortable as the VIP bus.

Did they stop using the songhtals in Mai Sia?

Songhtals ???? never used one the Mini Bus drops you right at the Border control and then meets you at the hotel there in a hour and brings you back and to me yes its was more comfortable and convenient but always get a seat at the front half of the bus smile.png a little less bumpy

In answer to the other guy I did the 15 day run more than 10 times at one point no issues at all with having all those stamps in the passport of course its much better with a proper visa but for those that don't have one you can do the 15 day run without limits at this time even though supposedly it is supposed to be limited to 3 times but that is not enforced.

DK

This is how I'm going to do it.

Cheap, comfortable, single-day, (hopefully) hassle-free.

Just be sure to book AT LEAST a week in advance if you want to get the front left seat. It's the only one on the bus that's a single w/leg room to stretch out. You will have about an hour or more to wander through the stalls under the stairs, and another hour or so for lunch before the bus leaves.

just tried to make a booking for the trip to Chiang Rai. It's in Thai and no response when trying to change to English.

I just came back from the bus station having booked a round trip for tomorrow. It's easy, go there, get a number (on the right side of the windows) wait for your call and book. 2 hours ago lot of times where still available for tomorrow (did not expect that since going to Mae Sai etc is fully booked these days)

I was just at the bus station and it costs about 780 baht to take the VIP Green bus to Mae Sai on a return ticket. I was thinking of riding my scooter up there, but with all the holiday traffic I changed my mind. Besides, I would have had to stay over night, so I wouldn't save any money in either case. Be sure to book a few days in advance and you should be okay. I don't trust any van service. I've seen too many stupid van drivers taking risks to know which ones are good and which ones are idiots.

just tried to make a booking for the trip to Chiang Rai. It's in Thai and no response when trying to change to English.

Knowing Thai booking systems, you'd be lucky if the Thai version worked. Bet they haven't programmed the English one at all, let alone tested it.

I was just at the bus station and it costs about 780 baht to take the VIP Green bus to Mae Sai on a return ticket. I was thinking of riding my scooter up there, but with all the holiday traffic I changed my mind. Besides, I would have had to stay over night, so I wouldn't save any money in either case. Be sure to book a few days in advance and you should be okay. I don't trust any van service. I've seen too many stupid van drivers taking risks to know which ones are good and which ones are idiots.

I thought the first class was only 100bt more expensive than the 234bt vip seats....but seems a lot more then?

I always enjoy the VIP bus. I bring ear plugs and a small blanket, get on the bust in the morning and go back to sleep. I wake up in Mai Sai,

I bet you enjoy it biggrin.png as much as a baby.

Never managed that first seat myself always seem to be some old farang chuckling away there before me.

but I had seat 4 on the left, its the first one behind the first class seats so there is loads of legroom (for the cheap seats)

another tip; try to get the left side of the bus and the same seat on the return the sun blazes through the right hand side all the way up to mae sai, and of course on the return it blasts through the same side, as the sun has moved across.

I thought the first class was only 100bt more expensive than the 234bt vip seats....but seems a lot more then?

I was talking about a RETURN TRIP fair. Not just one way. I don't know any first class VIP bus that will take you to Mae Sai and BACK for only 350 baht.

Will do the run in a couple of weeks... used to drive my car but getting bored about it.

Will try the bus this time. Never the van: I've seen far too many idiotic minivan drivers on this (and other) road. I don't fancy Russian roulette and always warn my visitors to avoid their irresponsible services.

I was talking about a RETURN TRIP fair. Not just one way. I don't know any first class VIP bus that will take you to Mae Sai and BACK for only 350 baht.

I booked a ticket on the VIP coach this morning. It's around 700baht return. Leaves Chiang Mai at 0800. Allowed myself a few hours to do the passport, have a decent lunch, not rush and come back on the 17:00 bus.

A pity their web site is so fickle. I've had to do a 40km round trip to go into town and buy a ticket.

I often do it on an overnight. I take the afternoon Green VX bus from CM to MS (cheapest VIP then too - but not the reason, its a lot less packed - often get the seat next you free too - and ticket avaiable nearer the dates), then the songtaew to the border (15 baht not 10 like said above). Book in the Chinese hotel down after the new Tesco Express (down meaning away from the border) - 500 baht with bath/shower/fridge/cable/double bed. In the mornign I do the walk over, 500 baht Burmese entrace charge, buy some DVDs walk back - get a bottle of Burmese whisky at duty free (190 baht and 10x better than Thai Rum). Book out of hotel and get the morning bus home to CM.

I like the VIP buses (VX) but if I take the girls (daughters) they don't like VIP seats due to the leatherette smell, so we sit just behind. Air con is very cold so take something to keep warm. I take a good book and a book light (they turn the lights off at night and the overhead lights are rarely active). I enjoy the break - of course I only do it every 3 months - instead of doing a report I do a border run and get some cheap DVDs and whisky (and chocloates/toys/etc) in the market and duty free. biggrin.png

Edited by wolf5370

Can be - well the next one down to the VIP (X class I think) - still exactly the same really - air con , lay back seats, stewardess with bikkies and water, etc - just missing the door to the driver cabin! Only at certain times of the day though - have got this before once, by mistake actually (booked by time rather than class), but was no different journeywise.

Will do the run in a couple of weeks... used to drive my car but getting bored about it.

Will try the bus this time. Never the van: I've seen far too many idiotic minivan drivers on this (and other) road. I don't fancy Russian roulette and always warn my visitors to avoid their irresponsible services.

Sorry mate but I have to disagree with the AYA Service since its the same guy that drives the trip each day and he is not a bad driver occasionally the dodgy overtaking but overall a reall good a competent driver.

I am all with ya on the overnight trips which I personally would never take but for a daytime trip to Mai Sai by a decent service and for 500 baht roundtrip no waiting around and door to door you cannot beat AYA MiniBus

Thats coming from someone that has done it more times than I care to remember and I would have no problem doing t again if I had to .

DK

• Like 1

I only have to leave the country every ninety days and more often than not I have to go back to the UK at least once, so a visa run trip up to Mai Sai is usually a short break with the Missus. I normally go up on the morning Vip Bus, get my visa sorted and have a look round the market on the Burma side then spend the night in Mai Sai and head back to Chiang Mai the next morning, no rushing about for me.

Saying that If I was doing a run every 15 days I'd want the quickest round trip possible and use the mini bus service.

Sorry mate but I have to disagree with the AYA Service since its the same guy that drives the trip each day and he is not a bad driver occasionally the dodgy overtaking but overall a reall good a competent driver.

I am all with ya on the overnight trips which I personally would never take but for a daytime trip to Mai Sai by a decent service and for 500 baht roundtrip no waiting around and door to door you cannot beat AYA MiniBus

Thats coming from someone that has done it more times than I care to remember and I would have no problem doing t again if I had to .

DK

so the chances are.......... you have sat at the backsick.gif

you have sat next to a guy that stinks bah.gif

you have had to listen all the way to 2 loud and gobby New Yorkers

you have sat next to a drunk

you have to answer that perpetual boring question "do you live here or just visiting?"

you have had someone on board with the shits, so its stopping every 30 mins bah.gif

you have had some guy in his 60s talking hippy talk, drugged up and talking about his youth.

you have had some guy showing off with his thai language skills distracting the driver.coffee1.gif

you have had a driver that takes a detour around chiang Rai just to drop off a bag of fruit to someone ina village.sad.png

you have had a driver that wants to stop at 8.45am to buy fried chicken making everyone else envious.

and finally...........you have to go and visit that guyser (again and again) because the driver wants to meet his mates and have a smoke.

And all those reasons which you are all familiar with....is why I now take the bus

Did it yesterday.

Morning the VIP to Chiang Rai, took a minivan to Mae Sai. Songtaew to the amphoe office (For girlfriend). Motorbike taxi to the border. Shopping in Tachilek (beer, wine etc) back with motorbike to Mae Sai busstation. Minivan to Chiang Rai busstation. Visit to Wat Rong Khun. VIP bus back to Chiang Mai. Left 6:45 AM back at 9.30 PM.

Did it yesterday.

Morning the VIP to Chiang Rai, took a minivan to Mae Sai. Songtaew to the amphoe office (For girlfriend). Motorbike taxi to the border. Shopping in Tachilek (beer, wine etc) back with motorbike to Mae Sai busstation. Minivan to Chiang Rai busstation. Visit to Wat Rong Khun. VIP bus back to Chiang Mai. Left 6:45 AM back at 9.30 PM.

Hey, and you are now back safe and sound! What more could you ask for? It's all an adventure anyway.

For a Visa Run holiday fly from CM to Kunming, China, if you have to go to a Thai consulate. If consulate is not needed fly into Jinghong....or take the boat , if running. The boat leaves about 6 am and gets into Jinghong about 7 pm. Jinghong can be interesting...Ken

Did it yesterday.

Hey, and you are now back safe and sound! What more could you ask for? It's all an adventure anyway.

Quality post man, keep it up....

For a Visa Run holiday fly from CM to Kunming, China, if you have to go to a Thai consulate. If consulate is not needed fly into Jinghong....or take the boat , if running. The boat leaves about 6 am and gets into Jinghong about 7 pm. Jinghong can be interesting...Ken

Sounds intyersting - any details; where to get flights/boat, prices, Visa requirements for China (do they have the new 72 hrs waiver there like Beijing?), how friendly is the consulate, etc.

DK

so the chances are.......... you have sat at the backsick.gif

you have sat next to a guy that stinks bah.gif

you have had to listen all the way to 2 loud and gobby New Yorkers

you have sat next to a drunk

you have to answer that perpetual boring question "do you live here or just visiting?"

you have had someone on board with the shits, so its stopping every 30 mins bah.gif

you have had some guy in his 60s talking hippy talk, drugged up and talking about his youth.

you have had some guy showing off with his thai language skills distracting the driver.coffee1.gif

you have had a driver that takes a detour around chiang Rai just to drop off a bag of fruit to someone ina village.sad.png

you have had a driver that wants to stop at 8.45am to buy fried chicken making everyone else envious.

and finally...........you have to go and visit that guyser (again and again) because the driver wants to meet his mates and have a smoke.

And all those reasons which you are all familiar with....is why I now take the bus

You don't exactly sound like a bundle of laughs to be sat next to yourself whistling.gif

• Like 1

book a VIP bus to Mae Sai. It's a 4 or 5 hour trip, careful drivers,

laugh.png

x2 laugh.pngclap2.gif

I have had a few scary drives (always retuirn from MS for some reason) - but decided that was due to being sat in pole position in VIP where I could see through bith sets of windows to the road ahead - not something I would suggest (better to die without seeing it coming I guess).

Anyway, after taking a few skiing trips to France and taking coach trips up to Val d'Isère, where the coach is whizzing up at 40 mph with the outside wheel spitting stones over the edge - now that is scarey! (especially after 36 hours on the ferry and ski train partying the whole way).