First Time Wife/gf Went To The Uk

Jockstar

My wifes' been here for 11 years now. Works full time, going to work on the Underground five days a week. :o

As for food she will eat anything from somtum to pie & chips.

In the early years she missed her family quite some but not so much now what with all the cheap phone call companies about.

One thing that is interesting she has more Filipina friends than Thai. A lot of Thai girls she has met here over the years have been bad eggs. eg. gambling, boozing, shagging around, fighting with the husband, borrowing money, stealing money from husband etc.

We've recently moved and the first Thai girl she met is an illegal immigrant!

Edited by markt

On first visit to the UK I laughingly asked her what she had in her 2 suitcases and suggested ..again laughingly they were so heavy that it was a couple of bags of rice :o:D ................o dear dear....20 Kg Thai frag.....

Exactly, but exactly, the same thing happened with me. I live in a fairly large city (55,000) in the UK, but some guest at the hotel where she worked told her it was a tiny place with a two hour bus ride to the nearest shops. As such she has been amazed at the amount of shopping in town, and the fact we can get even simple things like fresh Mangoes, ginger, lemons, pineapple, etc. I'd echo what others have said about light nights, sunshine while it's cold etc, and she really loved seeing snow for the first time. My big worry was how she'd take to falang food, especially after seeing her first bite of a McDonald's when we were in LOS; thought for a moment she was going to be sick. But now she loves nearly all our food, and I have to smile as I watch her wolfing down good old roast beef, gravy, Yorkshire pudding, roast spuds, etc. Now we probably eat English and Thai style food about 50/50. Her latest discovery is Mustard, and she actually loves that moment when it flies to the back of your throat and makes your eyes water and your nose run (hope you know what I mean) Like others have said, I'd encourage your wife to develop her own interests and friendships here, too. All the best, and I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised at how adaptable she can be.

The wifes thoughts 4 years ago when she got here, cold, wet, miserable, expensive. Now she thinks the U.K is cold,wet,miserable and even more expensive thaqtn 4 years ago.

She still moans everytime she steps foot outside the door, just how cold it is and this on our one day of summer we get a year. :o

The wifes thoughts 4 years ago when she got here, cold, wet, miserable

Enough of what she thought about you, did she like the country? :o

She still moans everytime she steps foot outside the door, just how cold it is and this on our one day of summer we get a year. :D

Ah, moaning about the weather, shes truly settled in to our English ways. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

The wifes thoughts 4 years ago when she got here, cold, wet, miserable

Enough of what she thought about you, did she like the country? :o

She still moans everytime she steps foot outside the door, just how cold it is and this on our one day of summer we get a year. :D

Ah, moaning about the weather, shes truly settled in to our English ways. :D

Ya cheeky git :D

Trained her well mate, it seems as though whenever anyone comes to England, the most interesting thing to talk about is the weather, because foreign people REALLY cant believe that it is this wet and miserable 364 days of the year. :D

Me and the missus are going to the UK in April. Though i cant foresee any problems. But just curious how other people have dealt with this.(ie. wife/gf new country) My missus speaks English. But when we go to Scotland i will be a translator sometimes. :D What was her first impressions? Was it what she thought it would be? Was she blown away with certain things?ie drugs(so available anywhere), the price of beer, food. Thai food? Anything else. Comments please!

The smoking ban will have kicked in by then (March 26 i think) so she'll probably find that strange!!! + awkward if she likes a ciggy!!

when we go to Scotland i will be a translator sometimes

And iirc you're Glaswegian Jockstar? I hope full subtitles will be available for your missus' sake!!!! :o:D

Edited by game4shame

I'm heading to the UK soon with my wife so we've been reading this topic. When she saw that someone else had taken 20 kg of rice she looked delighted and said to me, 'can I really bring rice to England?'. Then we were watching a film set in Tibet right up in the Himalayas where some guy dies of hypothermia, now she's convinced that she's going to 'die of cold' as she puts it. I think she'll be fine, she pretty much has the same concerns as me, it's going to be cold and wet and full of grumpy b***ards!

I first took my wife to England in December 1982, when my father died. We stayed for 2 weeks and she slept virtually the whole time - too cold to get up!

We returned to live there in 1983 and she didn't stop complaining about the food, (it was difficult to find Thai suoermarkets/food in those days) the cost of living, the weather, the dirty smelly farangs, and God knows what else, for over a year.

Then she brought her mother over, introduced her to an aging farang, and got her married off.

23 years later, both wife (now ex) and mother are still in England, and I am in Thailand. They both prefer England, even though with the divorce settlement, they could live like Queens in Thailand.

Took my new wife of six months to England last August. She thought the country was very beautiful (we did London, The Peaks, the Lakes, The dales and The scottish highlands), but much preferred Thailand. Couldn't wait to get back. We are very happy living here.

I know dozens of Thais who have settled in England and are very happy there -others just stay there to earn money to send home, and are not really happy. Still others can't adapt, can't stand it and get back to Thailand as soon as possible.

Horses for courses. :o:D

Was in Aberdeen start of Feb, to dam cold for this Aussie....met some Asian girls in Aberdeen and we all shared the same hate of the dam weather and the "greyness" of everthing......

Try living there mate!!! :o It's considered a nice day if the windscreen wipers are on intermittent!!!

I took my wife to Aberdeen twice - both times at Xmas - she loved it but kept laughing at everyone, especially those in Union Street late at night.

She loved the snow, as did my daughter.

I can't stand the place.

she loved it but kept laughing at everyone

so do I.......and im born and bred :D:D

I can't stand the place

couldn't have put it better :o

Edited by game4shame

• 1 month later...