The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Just a Heads Up.

Word is out the owners of WOK N ROK, the "UK style" Chinese restaurant on Soi Buakhow mentioned before are planning on moving shop to BANGKOK.

Not right away, but perhaps sometime next year.

Anyway, if you've been curious about trying that place while it still exists in Pattaya ... now you know.

Welcome to a new restaurant on the darkside ….. YOTINS restaurant just off Nurn Plub Whan. Newly opened by Yotin, who was half the partnership behind Suggestions restaurant on Padtanakan Road.

It is an international menu, and we tried the lamb chops and premium steak, although after the starters and a complimentary mozzarella salad intermediate course, I was knew I was going to struggle to finish the main course.

3 course lunches start at B199, although our bill for evening dinner from the a la carte was B1,300 including wine.

Newly opened so a few minor crinkles to work out, but a very enjoyable visit with friendly and attentive staff.

Yotin’s can be found at the top end of Nurn Plub Whan, turn left at the 7/11 that is about 0.5k from the temple at the top, and keep bearing left. Yotin’s is on the right after about 300m.

Edited by Rimmer
Tel numbers removed as per forum rules

I have some exiting news about a new Italian place that opened its doors in South Pattaya a few weeks ago. I have yet to try it out myself but it looks promising.

Mister Polenta , and the owner is of course Italian. This is their website : Mister Polenta and they are located near Friendship supermarket and Tukcom.

Polenta is used in all the dishes , following a traditional style from Northern parts of Italy. Only 199 baht for many of their dishes so even "the budget minded" can afford to pay them a visit. Now we only have to find out how the food tastes like.

Here's some pictures:

menu_mister_polenta_01.jpgmenu_mister_polenta_02.jpg
polenta_taragna_con_seppioline_in_umido_
Edited by balo
  • Like 2

Yeah, Balo, you beat me to it!

clap2.gif

Yes indeed Mr. Polenta a very welcome addition to our evolving food scene in Pattaya.

The polenta choices are the classic yellow polenta (corn) or the La Toragna polenta including buckwheat flour AND corn cooked with butter and fontina cheese (more expensive). You can get the polenta choice grilled as well.

The concept is beautifully simple.

Pick your polenta type.

Pick regular or grilled.

Choose your topping.

You're good to eat.

The man behind Mr. Polenta clearly is gambling that Pattaya is sophisticated enough to support a polenta specialty restaurant. I propose we prove his optimism well founded.

The place is very easy to find.

As said, near Friendship, opposite side of the street, and a bit towards 3rd road from Friendship.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I agree , that was a good price for a big sized pizza.

220 baht will get you a medium one at the Italian restaurant next to Foodmart.

I also feel that the regular prices for pizza at Pastrami and Rye are too high considering the massive amount of local competition with pizzas, some arguably better AND cheaper. Yes they differentiate by offering "American" style pizzas and of course Chicago style needs to be high priced because of a very large volume of ingredients, but talking about their more standard pizzas. It's their choice of course. With their sandwiches, which many also feel are high priced, I don't think they have any real local competition for the quality they offer on American classics like Reubens so with those they have real pricing power. It's clear to me they're never going to have the best PIZZA in town and I would be surprised if they ever don't have the best DELI SANDWICHES in town. Sometimes I wonder why that place even bothers with pizza ... typically a deli like that in the U.S. wouldn't. Again, their choice.

(OK, they do have the best CHICAGO pizza in town ... who else does that? The best of one.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Regarding MR. POLENTA, previously mentioned, I want to correct a previous detail.

Before I said you can choose either polenta choice grilled or standard , but that was incorrect.

You can only choose the all corn polenta grilled.

The other one, the corn/wheat mix with butter and cheese can not be grilled.

Be advised there are no appetizers, salads, soups, or desserts offered at this restaurant.

Just the POLENTA with the many choices of stews to go with them.

Water is 30 baht. One choice of red wine is 150 per glass. There is no plus plus.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Regarding MR. POLENTA, previously mentioned, I want to correct a previous detail.

Before I said you can choose either polenta choice grilled or standard , but that was incorrect.

Be advised there are no appetizers, salads, soups, or desserts offered at this restaurant.

Water is 30 baht. One choice of red wine is 150 per glass. There is no plus plus.

Since Mr. Polenta was first mentioned here, I have tried to eat there twice, and each time (in the afternoon) it was closed. I am hungry for polenta w/ the Italian-style stewed meat thing (sausage or chicken) thing on top.

Best aloo gobi and dals in town please.

Saras is good for vegetarian food and I have enjoyed everything I have had there. That includes both the dishes you mention.

Indian by nature also did a good dal in their thali, though it was quite thick and rich to my taste and a large portion might be heavy going. The same applies to their aloo gobi which I have also tried.

There is so much variety in dals that it's hard to say whose is best.

Edited by KittenKong

Several people seem quite keen on polenta. Personally it just reminds me of stale cardboard and I would never order it anywhere. It seems to have no flavour at all apart from that imparted to it by whatever sauce you put on it.

Am I alone in this?

• Like 2

Several people seem quite keen on polenta. Personally it just reminds me of stale cardboard and I would never order it anywhere. It seems to have no flavour at all apart from that imparted to it by whatever sauce you put on it.

Am I alone in this?

I am far from being an "expert" on polenta.....way far......but perhaps think of it as the Italian version of "mashed potatoes or rice." Italians do put different stuff in it (e.g. cheese), but I do think what goes on top of it makes a huge difference. It is, I think, "comfort food" in Italy. I have even had something similar in the USA: tamale pie! The "tamale" stuff is a bit similar to polenta. What would rice be without stuff on top of it or served with it....same for mashed potatoes alone on a plate.

In the U.S. South, "grits" are their version of polenta. Usually served for breakfast with butter but also in regional main dishes like "Low Country" shrimp 'n grits.

Yes the boiled kind is much more like mush or mashed potatoes than cardboard. I can see the grilled version could sometimes be cardboard like. But frankly even then that sounds like a cooking mistake as it shouldn't be that stiff. The plain kind has little flavor. You get the flavor by the adds. At this restaurant they have a REGIONAL version (corn and wheat) that has stronger flavor from added butter and cheese.

http://www.thekitchn.com/polenta-versus-grits-whats-the-difference-187807

Polenta ... deep south American style

post-37101-0-42339700-1444111560_thumb.j

It's curious to me that polenta and/or grits isn't much more pervasive in the USA as of course the origin of CORN is the Americas, not Europe. Grits are still mostly regional in the south and Italian polenta is mostly found where you'd expect it, in some Italian restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Best aloo gobi and dals in town please.

Saras is good for vegetarian food and I have enjoyed everything I have had there. That includes both the dishes you mention.

Indian by nature also did a good dal in their thali, though it was quite thick and rich to my taste and a large portion might be heavy going. The same applies to their aloo gobi which I have also tried.

There is so much variety in dals that it's hard to say whose is best.

Are you referring to the branch at Royen (top floor)? Got a serious bout of the trots right after eating there once so won't be back. Any other reccos?

Murtabak (chicken or beef) now on offer at Central Pattaya Beach Mall in the inner food court adjacent to Central Food Hall (not the big main food court).

This place is next to the Turkish place you may know.

It's rare to see meat filled Murtabek and don't really know anywhere else in Pattaya that sells it. If you do, please say where.

Frankly the pictures don't look that great.

I have had great Murtabak in Penang Malaysia but only there.

It's rare in Bangkok as well.

Now that would be a hawker stall that might have real potential here ... Murtabak as good as in Malaysia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtabak

• Like 2

CHOTIVALA PURE VEGETARIAN INDIAN RESTAURANT

2nd road across from Central Pattaya Beach Mall

This is the newest of the "three in a row" Indian restaurants on that block.

Chotivala comes to us from Bangkok and you can read their tripadvisor comments here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3514438-Reviews-Chotivala_Pure_Vegeterian_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

From Bangkok:

It's the type of place to get dosas, uttampans, vada and idly and also all kinds of vegetarian curries.

I was feeling like a thali though and chose their North Indian thali for 239 and asked for it more spicy.

Comes with yellow dal, raita, a mixed veg. curry and a choose of paneer dish, shahi or palak (spinach).

Choose of bread, nan or two rotis. Ice cream for dessert.

The thali portions were on the small side. I came very hungry and frankly left a little hungry ... but not really complaining, just saying.

The flavors were pretty good, they did put some spice in it, but the curries were too simple, not complex enough.

The main let down was the mixed veg curry. The pieces of paneer in the palak paneer were comically tiny.

The roti was quite good.

Aside from the small portions, I feel they have a lighter cooking style and I appreciate that in Indian food which is often just too darned HEAVY.

I didn't want ice cream so just asked for the check. They didn't offer ice cream ... I wonder if they forgot, like I said, I didn't want it.

7 percent tax is charged. Water is 19 baht. Beer is a bit pricey.

The venue is clean and comfortable and the service is polite.

Overall conclusion. I will likely visit again to try their dosa as I am not thrilled with the other dosa places I have been to in town, maybe they will be better. Will not rush back. The food is pretty OK and the value is just barely OK. Yes you can probably get better thalis for less, but keep in mind the cooking style is different at different places so it's fun to mix things up.

Edited by Jingthing

Am I alone in this?

I am far from being an "expert" on polenta.....way far......but perhaps think of it as the Italian version of "mashed potatoes or rice." Italians do put different stuff in it (e.g. cheese), but I do think what goes on top of it makes a huge difference. It is, I think, "comfort food" in Italy. I have even had something similar in the USA: tamale pie! The "tamale" stuff is a bit similar to polenta. What would rice be without stuff on top of it or served with it....same for mashed potatoes alone on a plate.

I'm not wildly keen on rice though it's OK when mixed with sauce. But potatoes are fine without anything on them apart from seasoning and a bit of fat. They do have some intrinsic flavour. I'm sure that everyone reading has eaten a bag of salted chips (fries) on its own and enjoyed them, or even crisps (potato chips) which are also just potato and fat and salt. I cant see much demand for fried polenta sticks done the same way.

Polenta just doesnt seem to have any flavour of its own at all to me. Interesting to hear that it also comes in a mushy boiled version as I have only ever had it (in Europe) in the form of hard slices, which have then been fried.

I have some exiting news about a new Italian place that opened its doors in South Pattaya a few weeks ago. I have yet to try it out myself but it looks promising.

Mister Polenta , and the owner is of course Italian. This is their website : Mister Polenta and they are located near Friendship supermarket and Tukcom.

Polenta is used in all the dishes , following a traditional style from Northern parts of Italy. Only 199 baht for many of their dishes so even "the budget minded" can afford to pay them a visit. Now we only have to find out how the food tastes like.

Here's some pictures:

menu_mister_polenta_01.jpgmenu_mister_polenta_02.jpg
polenta_taragna_con_seppioline_in_umido_

The wild "bore" stew sounds interesting. maybe he is sorting out a few of the people who post here. No offence meant, honest wai2.gif , just couldn't resist it.

• Like 2

Are you referring to the branch at Royen (top floor)? Got a serious bout of the trots right after eating there once so won't be back. Any other reccos?

That's the one I went to. I had no problems.
That's the only current location in Pattaya. They are also in Bangkok.

Welcome to a new restaurant on the darkside .. YOTINS restaurant just off Nurn Plub Whan. Newly opened by Yotin, who was half the partnership behind Suggestions restaurant on Padtanakan Road.

It is an international menu, and we tried the lamb chops and premium steak, although after the starters and a complimentary mozzarella salad intermediate course, I was knew I was going to struggle to finish the main course.

3 course lunches start at B199, although our bill for evening dinner from the a la carte was B1,300 including wine.

Newly opened so a few minor crinkles to work out, but a very enjoyable visit with friendly and attentive staff.

Yotins can be found at the top end of Nurn Plub Whan, turn left at the 7/11 that is about 0.5k from the temple at the top, and keep bearing left. Yotins is on the right after about 300m.

More lousy directions...left is right and right is left depending on one's direction of travel. Is it near Aqua Dynmie or up near the wet market? I drive this area daily and don't recall this place...only the new Rung Ya resto opposite the market.

Welcome to a new restaurant on the darkside .. YOTINS restaurant just off Nurn Plub Whan. Newly opened by Yotin, who was half the partnership behind Suggestions restaurant on Padtanakan Road.

Yotins can be found at the top end of Nurn Plub Whan, turn left at the 7/11 that is about 0.5k from the temple at the top, and keep bearing left. Yotins is on the right after about 300m.

More lousy directions...left is right and right is left depending on one's direction of travel. Is it near Aqua Dynmie or up near the wet market? I drive this area daily and don't recall this place...only the new Rung Ya resto opposite the market.

Yep, near Aqua Dynmie. Between there and Frabrice.

It is between Aqua and Fabrice.

• Like 1

A post of remembrance for the great Louisiana Cajun and Creole celebrity chef PAUL PRUDHOMME who recently died at age 75.

I was fortunate to have tasted his amazing food.

Cajun and Creole food in Pattaya? Not really ... sorry about that.

Thai food.

I have enjoyed numerous meals at MaiSriRuen in Jomtien at the end of Theprasit Rd.

(the very last building on Theprasit before Sukhumvit.

A large, indoor, reasonablely priced, restaurant that is very popular with locals(Sunday's is packed so don't even try)

Famous for their special chicken noodle soup and succulent pork satay with peanut sauce along with a large menu of familiar dishes. Lots of noodles to choose.

The service is always excellent. Over staffed and quick to get the large lunch crowd fed and on their way.

NOTE: They have another location in Pattaya on Klang near 3rd.

post-247330-0-82549200-1444974874_thumb.

Since Mr. Polenta was first mentioned here, I have tried to eat there twice, and each time (in the afternoon) it was closed. I am hungry for polenta w/ the Italian-style stewed meat thing (sausage or chicken) thing on top.

Ok whats the matter with this place ? Maybe the Italian owner can't find staff working for him ? I have passed there several times in the late afternoon and it's always been closed! Their menu is outside but inside theres no light, I even tried to knock on the door.

No opening hours displayed , just been wasting my time.