The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

OK, I have a pleasant update about the Chinese Noodle place I posted in detail about recently here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/page-39#entry9539209

This time had the noodle soup with egg and tomato 99, the shredded potato salad 69, and an order of the lamb sticks 99,

Inquiring about some other dishes, I was informed the fish balls in the "special" fish ball soup was bought in ... good that they're honest.

The won tons and dumplings are made in house though.

I was also informed that there will be menu adjustments made soon, some deletions and some additions. Unfortunately the lady telling me this couldn't give more details, but I'll go back anyway and find out.

The noodle soup was good as before when I had the spicy beef version ... this time the broth seemed more fatty.

The shredded potato salad was wonderful, a cool temperature version rather than a hot fried version I've seen at other local restaurants. Flavored with sesame oil I added some chili paste from the condiments to jazz it up.

The lamb sticks were special. These are the Northern Chinese style CUMIN SPICY meat sticks which have become a bit trendy among U.S. foodies.

This version tasted like they had been deep fried, so yes a little greasy, but WOW the CUMIN spice on them popped big time.

By all means try these meat sticks!

I will be bummed if they drop these CUMIN meat sticks.

Goes so well with the soup and a Chinese salad as I had.

As before they were getting lots of Chinese customers ...

I tried the place out tonight - it was empty.

I ordered 7 dishes to get a good impression and coincidentially also ordered the fried beef sticks. Yes, the spice is pleasant and reminds more of Central Asian shashlik than of a Chinese dish. I suspect the region of origin of this dish is North-Western China, where the Uighurs live?

Their dumplings are obviously homemade and were good.

Had also two of their soups, the beef noodle soup and the fish balls special. The beed noodle soup was so-so, it was not bad but I couldn't bring me to like it. It tasted better with some fried chili-garlic paste and soy sauce. And instead of the three chunks of meat shown on the photo, there were only three thin slices of broiled beef in the soup.

The fish balls special was better, but not stellar either.

The fried rice was average too, and most of all, it didn't taste Chinese. I felt the rice was too firm and it had not been fried in peanut oil, so it lacked flavour.

My GF ordered duck feet, but they had not been cooked long enough.

The large bottle of Singha is 130 baht and the menu's prices are reasonable too, the bill came out to 1048 baht. Staff was very friendly, so they got 102 baht tip.

Conclusion: yes, it's ok, but they don't have a dish on their menu for which I would make the trip to Naklua again.

I found the dumplings and the meat sticks to be the most pleasant items in my selection.

Edited by manarak
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I never said it was a world class Chinese restaurant. Remember, we're talking about Pattaya, still a place with very limited Chinese food options.

These restaurateurs are from Beijing and the cumin lamb sticks seem to be associated with Beijing food these days, although found all over China.

Regardless, the meat sticks are tasty.

Thanks for the impression of the fish balls and the rice dish (which I would have never ordered there anyway given the obvious wheat emphasis of this place).

http://ladyandpups.com/2014/07/01/old-beijing-lamb-skewer/

Agree the dumplings are quite good.

Agree the noodle soup isn't worth traveling very far for.

After trying two versions of their noodle soup I would now definitely pick the hand pulled noodles at Shanghai on 3rd road as better, especially with the beef stew meat.

I think the dumplings and cumin meat sticks are standouts so far for me.

I am not close to Naklua either but if I was closer I would definitely go there a lot ... again, given the context of the limited Chinese options here.

Anyway, curious to see what changes they make to the menu.

Edited by Jingthing

Even in Philippines food is not worth 10% of Thai street food, so I wonder what they could propose in a restaurant abroad ?

For those asking about Filipino restaurants, a Filipina friend who has lived in Pattaya for two years says these two are popular. Don't know exact location or other specifics, but they presumably can be found via Google or FaceBook.

Albertos - Located on Pattaya Klang

attachicon.gifFR1.jpg

GoodLife - Located Soi Potisam Naklua

attachicon.gifFR2.jpg

Please don't be hating on the Pinoy foods.

They are under-appreciated which to me makes them more charming.

http://www.overseaspinoycooking.com/

There is no way anyone can "under-appreciate" Pinoy food - IMHO it really is that bad.

Not all of it.

Well, I guess there is a speck of gold in even the biggest pile of sh!tbiggrin.png

Back on topic; I went to the Japanese restaurant in Soi Rungland a few weeks back and came back fairly impressed with the food (sorry, can't remember the name of the place but it's more or less opposite of the Gold Bank). Has anyone else been there lately?

Please don't be hating on the Pinoy foods.

They are under-appreciated which to me makes them more charming.

http://www.overseaspinoycooking.com/

There is no way anyone can "under-appreciate" Pinoy food - IMHO it really is that bad.

Not all of it.

Well, I guess there is a speck of gold in even the biggest pile of sh!tbiggrin.png

Back on topic; I went to the Japanese restaurant in Soi Rungland a few weeks back and came back fairly impressed with the food (sorry, can't remember the name of the place but it's more or less opposite of the Gold Bank). Has anyone else been there lately?

http://www.loman-pattaya.com/#_=_

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.765464363508174.1073741830.762905480430729&type=1

Edited by Jingthing

Now something slightly different - hooked by the place's advertising, I tried the newish fancy poolclub lounge Fflic in Pratamnak.

It's technically a restaurant because they have an extensive food menu.

The place is quite nice for Pattaya, superb view over the bay and nice decoration, a pool, nice lighting... basically an ideal spot for a relaxed party with pool beauties, although they weren't any this evening. bummer :-(

I didn't try the food, I am sure it's ok, many of the photos of the fancier dishes looked very elegant.

As the owner claims in their TV advertising, the food isn't expensive, but beer Leo is 100 baht which is already steeper. I don't quite understand why a Coke is also 100 baht though. Honestly, I went there just to check the place out as well as the drink prices, and my fears regarding drinks were confirmed, it's the classical cheap food for promotion and expensive drinks scenario.

Besides the gorgeous view and the nice setting ideal for facebook photos as well as sometimes live music or DJ, the place lacks appeal for me, it's mostly for trendy people who want to be seen in a trendy place.

So I'm still on the lookout for a place in Pattaya where I can relax, chill, have fun and eat in a reasonably nice setting for the right price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been today to "Backfabrik" on Jomtien second road, near soi wat boon kanchana

It is a German bakery and snack restaurant.

The two dishes I ordered were good, although the bretzel tasted too sweet for my taste and had that weird creamy aftertaste found in Thai butter, I guess it's not the bakery's fault, they probably have to use crap butter - the bretzel was otherwise good, as was the pair of weisswürste and the two pork steaks with cream&mushroom sauce.

They have a large choice of sandwiches that look good, with a choice between 2 types of bread.

And their breakfasts look very good too.

The place is new, very clean and very neat, pricing is okay, the formerly mentioned foods plus a water and a tea and the bill came to slightly above 400 baht.

I'll be back for sure, the place is ideal for a breakfast before golfing or for a hungry stop in the middle of the day.

I need to check the opening hours for the breakfast before golfing though.

One thing I was surprised about was the absence of some German quick classics like bratwurst, leberkäse, etc.

It would be nice addition I think.

• Like 1

CLOSED:

Rock the Sausage,

German fast food, Bratwurst, Currywurst, Chips, etc.

2nd Road and Soi Diamond

Maybe it would have worked in Naklua?

Anyway that LOCATION seems really problematical.

Before that there was a fast food Indian chicken franchise concept that has worked in India.

But not there.

• Like 1

seemingly CLOSED:

Da Vinci (Italian) Restaurant and Lounge

Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market

It's been dark for awhile so I assume.

It was fancy for that area and when it opened I didn't get the concept ... oh well!

Made In Italy Special Promotions

(gourmet Italian deli and casual small restaurant)

Also Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market

Place has a simple menu.

Appetizers, mostly bruschettas and salads, pastas, pizzas, and a few meat dishes.

Others have highly praised the pizza.

Daily they have a pasta special for 99 for items normally over 200 baht.
Otherwise, prices moderate, not cheap.

EVERY FRIDAY there is an all you can eat buffet starting at 6 P.M. for 299.

Usually this is a variety of stuff from their menu but THIS FRIDAY JULY 17th -- they are trying ALL PIZZA AND ONLY PIZZA for the buffet night.

post-37101-0-51483900-1437062931_thumb.j

So a chance to try many slices of their wide variety of pizza options.

The ALL pizza buffet is not every friday ... but every friday there is the buffet.

Place closes early.

Edited by Jingthing

Made In Italy Special Promotions

(gourmet Italian deli and casual small restaurant)

Also Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market

Place has a simple menu.

Appetizers, mostly bruschettas and salads, pastas, pizzas, and a few meat dishes.

Others have highly praised the pizza.

Daily they have a pasta special for 99 for items normally over 200 baht.

Otherwise, prices moderate, not cheap.

EVERY FRIDAY there is an all you can eat buffet starting at 6 P.M. for 299.

Usually this is a variety of stuff from their menu but THIS FRIDAY JULY 17th -- they are trying ALL PIZZA AND ONLY PIZZA for the buffet night.

attachicon.gif11150218_10204011555113072_8592026622221045762_n.jpg

So a chance to try many slices of their wide variety of pizza options.

The ALL pizza buffet is not every friday ... but every friday there is the buffet.

Place closes early.

"buffet night" is a misnomer when the place closes at 20:00.

I love their pizza, but if only they could stay open a couple of hours longer... !!!

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

seemingly CLOSED:

Da Vinci (Italian) Restaurant and Lounge

Jomtien 2nd road across from Rompho Market

It's been dark for awhile so I assume.

It was fancy for that area and when it opened I didn't get the concept ... oh well!

I remember going to the opening party and in my mind I gave it 6 months before closing. It seems they lasted a bit longer than that.

Prices and style way too upmarket for anywhere in Pattaya, as far as I could see. Maybe such a place would work in Bangkok.

Without giving comment on the quality of Pastrami and Rye's American style pizzas, I know a lot of people have been commenting on their rather high price.

Well ... relief has arrived.

Half off during limited hours EVERY DAY.

Impressive.

Finally got round to trying this a couple of weeks ago and have been back twice since to try different toppings.

I've only had takeaway so far as I live within easy staggering distance. The price with the discount is fine but I noticed that last time the topping on my pizza looked sparser than it had on previous occasions. Maybe just the luck of the draw.

I will try an eat-in thin pizza there one day soon to see what I get as it seems that the thin pizzas served when you eat in are a little larger than the thick ones served for takeaway (my takeaway 14in pizza easily fitted inside a box that measured 14in on the outside, but maybe all the thick pizzas are a little smaller than the thin ones). Cant comment on the sandwiches but the cakes looked nice.

I rather suspect that this place wont last too long, which is a shame as the pizza is good for the price and the owner seems to be very attentive to detail.

Saras Indian and International Vegetarian Restaurant MOVES.

This is from the popular BANGKOK Saras.

Closes at Sun City Hotel, South Pattaya

OPENS at top floor, Royal Garden Plaza

I eat here recently with an eatigo discount.

Could not fault it at all. Very good and interesting/unexpected food.

Makes most of the other Indian places in town look like real slop-houses.

The food would be overpriced at full menu prices though.

Without giving comment on the quality of Pastrami and Rye's American style pizzas, I know a lot of people have been commenting on their rather high price.

Well ... relief has arrived.

Half off during limited hours EVERY DAY.

Impressive.

I rather suspect that this place wont last too long, which is a shame as the pizza is good for the price and the owner seems to be very attentive to detail.

I agree with your comments about DaVinci but PonR seems like a true success story. I had a thin crusted pepperoni which I enjoyed. They offer a lot more than just pizzas in fact pizza I suspect is just a small portion of their business success. Breakfast with good coffee and with items you can't get elsewhere but of course the best pastrami in Thailand.
  • Like 1

I agree with your comments about DaVinci but PonR seems like a true success story. I had a thin crusted pepperoni which I enjoyed. They offer a lot more than just pizzas in fact pizza I suspect is just a small portion of their business success. Breakfast with good coffee and with items you can't get elsewhere but of course the best pastrami in Thailand.

I was basing my comments about Pastrami on two things: the menu prices and the activity I see when I go past. Outside of the discount hour it doesnt seem very busy to me, but maybe I'm just there at the wrong times.

Dont get me wrong: I've only tried a few things there and what I had I liked, but I just think they may struggle with the full menu prices. Also they do have a fair amount of nearby competition.

BEERTOPIA

Craft beers and high quality American style 100 percent beef HOT DOGS (made in BANGKOK)

South Pattaya off 3rd road (south of Pattaya Tai -- SEE MAP on facebook page)

Hot dogs aren't really my thing, but thought some people would be interested:

https://www.facebook.com/beertopiathailand/timeline

post-37101-0-11010100-1437146630_thumb.j

No, I haven't been and might not ever bother but hearing good things.

What I'd really like to see are some Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches on the proper bread of course!

Edited by Jingthing

All American Bar and Grill to open at The Avenue ( Shenanigan )

Good luck to them, but how many similar bar/restaurant businesses have failed in that location in the last 5 years? Like the area around Jomtien Complex it seems to have the kiss of death on it. Presumably high rent is the killer as you cant fault it for accessibility, parking etc.

All American Bar and Grill to open at The Avenue ( Shenanigan )

Do you know if it's the same as this place in Bangkok?

http://americanbarbangkok.com/

http://americanbarbangkok.com/menu.php

If so, their menu definitely looks interesting.

Particularly the Sicilian lasagna, Texas chili, Mac N Cheese.

The picture of the "New England" fish and chips looks weird. I used to live in New England and never saw that dish!

Maybe that kind of thing will work there.

Don't Chinese people like to eat some "exotic" American food?

Edited by Jingthing

So what?

I posted the menu.

I saw the menu you posted but anyone looking at their website would not. Also that menu may not still be valid in a week or a month or a year from now.

What's the point of having a website but not keeping it up to date and informative? May as well just not have a website.

Just another example of indolence, I suppose.

• Like 2

So what?

I posted the menu.

I saw the menu you posted but anyone looking at their website would not. Also that menu may not still be valid in a week or a month or a year from now.

What's the point of having a website but not keeping it up to date and informative? May as well just not have a website.

Just another example of indolence, I suppose.

By all means, report this to the tourist police.

Just had a thought.

This thread is SO LONG!

I wonder if people finding it now are actually reading it all from the beginning. coffee1.gif

I doubt it- the whole point of this thread is that those of us who eat out a few days a week and enjoy what the restaurant scene has to offer ( good and very bad ! ) in sunny Pattaya and environs keeps us up to date.

Places open and close all the time.

I would like to see real critique - quality of ingredients, ambience, quality of napery , service.

Not just - the pizza was good- why?

Everything seems to focus on Euporean / American food - good Thai restaurants are hard to find- so some new reviews of local food would be nice- Pizzas are pleasant- but peasant food really .

Keep up the good work- it's one of the reasons that some of us put up with the traffic, crumbling infrastructure rather than living in Nakhon Nowhere .

• Like 2