The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

They moved last month to Pattaya Klang Sukumvit, opposite the highway police, it has a distinctive green roof.

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

They moved last month to Pattaya Klang Sukumvit, opposite the highway police, it has a distinctive green roof.

I saw SHOKANAN closed but you say it moved to another place on Sukhumvit ?

Opposite the highway police ?

What is next to the new location ?

BonChon Chicken has a good special this month and next. For 199 baht you get 4 pieces of nice sized boneless breast, fries, cole slaw, pickles, can of coke. Price includes 10% service charge and 7% VAT. I had the non-spicy and it is delicious. Slaw was very good too. Fries were so good I did not need ketchup. For 249 baht you can get the fish special with 4 pieces of breaded fish. I went at lunch time on Friday it was not crowded at all.

• 2 weeks later...

just a heads up about jollys on soi beukow

They are now adding tax to their bills which in my estimation is an attempt at a stealth price increase, it is in the menu (small print) but not on the advertised prices on boards or on the specials. Rather stupid if you ask me as the prices in the place keep going up and the customers going down, one of my favourite places to eat but not any more - and it is not about the money - when I go eat I expect to pay the advertised prices - keep your tax to yourself thumbsup.gif

I agree !

And actually I wanted to know if many think as we do, feeling cheated when we do not pay the price written on the menu:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/799277-restaurant-service-vat-added-to-your-bill-do-you-hate-it-a-reason-to-avoid-this-restaurant/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are now adding tax to their bills which in my estimation is an attempt at a stealth price increase, it is in the menu (small print) but not on the advertised prices on boards or on the specials.

That is indeed an extremely dishonest practice. Why it isn't a crime here I will never know.

I recently noticed another place nearby that had a large board outside with pictures of various dishes, and showing the prices on them. It was only on closer inspection that I realised that they weren't prices at all: they were menu numbers. The actual prices were quite a lot higher.

They are now adding tax to their bills which in my estimation is an attempt at a stealth price increase, it is in the menu (small print) but not on the advertised prices on boards or on the specials.

That is indeed an extremely dishonest practice. Why it isn't a crime here I will never know.

I recently noticed another place nearby that had a large board outside with pictures of various dishes, and showing the prices on them. It was only on closer inspection that I realised that they weren't prices at all: they were menu numbers. The actual prices were quite a lot higher.

You ordered the 3 baht dish and got a big surprise when the bill came? :)

• 2 weeks later...

La Taverna del Passatore

Italian Restaurant, Italian Style

A casual open air Italian bistro style shophouse restaurant. Italian owned and run. Italian customers. Good signs, right? Yes, indeed.

Menu includes appetizers, pastas 200 bahtish plus range (wide choice of pastas including Tagliatelle, an extensive and authentic sophisticated range of sauces, main meat dishes served with choice of potato (pork, fish, chicken, some beef) 200 to 300 bahtish range, and desserts like tiramisu and panacotta (100 bahtish).

Dishes come with some Italian bread.

Also side dishes like spinach, 80 baht.

Also featured: DAILY specials, generally a special of the night pasta and special of the night meat offering.

Location: off Soi Buakow, head south from Soi Lengkee about one block. On the corner to to the right is bar girl cum restaurant called the BIG EASY. Also there is a sign pointing down that soi about the Italian restaurant. Go down that soi a bit, the place is on the right.

I think open for lunch and dinner. Can't confirm exact hours.

Tried This place last nite and it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Don't know how you found it but two thumbs up licklips.giflicklips.gif

Full report and photos to follow.

Hello,

I was thinking it's the Italian at Rompo market but it seems not.

Does the one at ROMPO has been reviewed ?

Thanks.

So I guess this is the SOPHON vietnamese ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/401000-new-vietnamese-restaurant/

It seems that Jingthing also had problems to find it :-)

True dat. I've never been. Is it still there?

Yes, still open.

I actually just checked it out today. Chanya's is actully located right behind Sophon cable on Soi 8. If your on Soi 10 you have to go through the car park next to it and head back towards 3rd road. It's a nice quaint little place with about 4 tables. Chanya herself is a nice charming lady who does speak good english. The problem came when I asked to see a menu, she responded that they don't have one in English and if I could order from the pictures on the wall. That seemed fine as I was really their to try the beef and noodles dish that was on the thread. I was then informed that they do not carry any beef dishes and they didn't understand when I asked for bo kho (which the thread said was the name of the dish). I actually got pointed back towards Soi Buakow (which I kind of halfway expected what would happen). I settled for a pork and noodle soup dish that was that was good, but unfortunately wasn't what I came for.

I also saw today that Pizza Pizza in the Avenue's has a new promotion up now. A prosciutto cotto pizza for 99 baht. The banner had a picture of a pizza with thin ham slices draped over it. Maybe PP will be doing promo's n a regular basis now.

• Like 1

Al Bukhara Uzbek Restaurant South Pattaya looks DEFINITELY closed.

Yes, it did close.

Now an Uzbek restaurant with the same name is fixing to OPEN.

They have some Russian food but what makes it stand out is the focus on Uzbek.

Yes I at a few times at the old location ... the food had some character and actually the customers had even more character (Eastern Euro "ladies" from Walking Street).

It is located just off of Pattaya Tai in the the Pattaya People soi (close to Tukcom).

Edited by Jingthing

I also saw today that Pizza Pizza in the Avenue's has a new promotion up now. A prosciutto cotto pizza for 99 baht. The banner had a picture of a pizza with thin ham slices draped over it. Maybe PP will be doing promo's n a regular basis now.

Yes, it started the same day that the previous promo ended which was about 10 days ago.

This promo (110B with service charge) is not as good as the previous Margherita for 75B promo as the "ham" is cheap processed cooked ham such as one finds in square packets in the supermarket, and not proper air-dried ham such as that used by Loaf. And there is less cheese too.

Still, it's not a bad price and hopefully there will be another promo with a better topping at some point, at which time I will return there.

Suggestions Cosy Restaurant on Thungklom Tamnan 9 has been on my radar for a while so Mrs NL and I stopped by for lunch last week. It's almost exactly half way between the top of Nernplubwan and Tara Patana International School on the west side of the road.

Terrine salmon with dill & toast

Chicken salad with basil vinegraite

Crème Doria (cucumber soup)

&

Pressed Pork belly with Honey mustard sauce young potatoes

Chicken fillet , estragon sauce & mashed potato.

Fishroll with green curry and rice

&

Crepes Suzette

Cucumber soup, pork belly for me and she had the salmon starter followed by chicken with tarragon. The crepes were served with a sweet/sour orange dressing and creamy vanilla ice cream. We opted for the small, shaded patio out the back... very quiet. Probably 4 other couples dropped by for dining while we were there. They all opted for inside which is very cool and probably quite intimate in the evening, depends on their lighting so we will check that out.

Lunch was 250 baht each, delicious, well presented and very filling.

• Like 2

Update on Angels buffet. As reported before the price was raised to 299. Now another not so welcome change. The buffet setup has changed. The hot dishes are now all together on one huge presentation tray. Open no cover and no labels as before. I looked but did not eat there.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Pastrami and Rye in their new rather slick New Yorker-ish and highly visible location (on Thappraya down a bit from Thepprasit) is reportedly OPENING TODAY!

attachicon.gif11034222_839919786067423_4455578219492036772_n.jpg

http://www.pastramionryethailand.com/home.html

Says so on their website anyway ... for whatever that's worth.

They had a soft opening last week. The deli sandwiches should be available today and the old location is closed. I had a good breakfast there last week but not all breakfast items were available. Give them a little time to iron out any wrinkles and expand menu.

Closure News:

Chow Box on Thappraya Road

Western Chinese Restaurant with cute Chinese decor

I never went. whistling.gif

Is it where they have opened a new 7/11 instead ?

Also I have seen that the French bakery near friendship supermarket is now closed, empty, and ready to rent.

I wonder how much money all these people who pretend to run a business lose every time they close...

Seems so ridiculous to me ! Are they trying to do a business about which they don't know anything ? Or is it just that they are so retarded about marketing and advertising ?

Speaking of marketing Casa Pascal is really the best and each newsletter they send by email makes me feel like to go there again and again !!! No secret about business, if you are good it will be fine !

Closure News:

Chow Box on Thappraya Road

Western Chinese Restaurant with cute Chinese decor

I never went. whistling.gif

Is it where they have opened a new 7/11 instead ?

Also I have seen that the French bakery near friendship supermarket is now closed, empty, and ready to rent.

I wonder how much money all these people who pretend to run a business lose every time they close...

Seems so ridiculous to me ! Are they trying to do a business about which they don't know anything ? Or is it just that they are so retarded about marketing and advertising ?

Speaking of marketing Casa Pascal is really the best and each newsletter they send by email makes me feel like to go there again and again !!! No secret about business, if you are good it will be fine !

No, the Chow Box building is not a 7-11. It's for rent. The front of the building has been modified to look specifically like a rather garish stereotypical Chinese restaurant. It would be perfect for another (hopefully better?) Chinese restaurant.

New Chinese (and some Thai) restaurant on North Pattaya Road

post-37101-0-66459600-1426198296_thumb.j

Near FAIRTEX (same side)

Moderate Prices / Actual Chinese Food on offer (as opposed to Chinese-Thai) / Some Sechuan dishes

More choices of Chinese restaurants with moderate prices are always welcome in the local market. I visited this place once and had the Twice Cooked pork, peanut salad, and Morning Glory. I found the food to be OK relative to the local market, good enough for repeat visits to try out more dishes but probably won't be a regular.

There are two menus, one is bigger and not as well translated. There are pictures of dishes and when I was there a lady who could help clarify in English.

Some menu items:

boiled dumplings (pork / celery / onion etc.) 100
also fried
pork leg meat 150
pig intestine 160
boiled beef 160
big pork balls in brown sauce 220 (like Lion's Head)
Chicken peanuts (like kung pao) 160
Stuffed long pepper w/ sauce 120
eggplant w/ pork 120
Freid veg w/ sauce 100
Shredded potato w/ green chili 120
Morning glory 80
Baby bok choy 100
Cucumber salad 80
Pork (ribs?) w sauce 200
Fried spicy pork 380 (probably large mala hot pot)
Fried chicken w sauce
Fried shredded spicy pork w Chinese sauce 160
Kale Chinese sauce 120
Omelette green onion 100
Fried shrimp sugar (weight?)
Tomato w/ egg 120
Squid w/ sweet pepper in sauce 200
Twice cooked pork 160
Noodle and stewed pork Chinese sauce 220
Noodle Chinese sauce 100
Orinji mushrooms w/ pork 180
Shrimp w/ potato sauce (weight?)
Hot and sour soup 120
Soup egg tomato 100
Boiled peanut salad 80
Clear soup bean curd minced pork 130
Mix Veg salad 60
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

FYI, for Pastrami on Rye's new location, their web site Google map has the pin in the wrong spot. The pin shows the restaurant very near the Hanuman Statue intersection on Thappraya Rd, when in fact the restaurant is only a couple doors down from the Thepprasit Rd intersection. If you remember that it's right by Continental Bakery, then you'll easily find it. Talked to the owners and they're aware. Something about when they put the address into Google Maps, it puts the pin in the wrong spot?

Closure News:

Coffee Corner

formerly Steaks and Suds

formerly SUNRISE TACOS (the Thai "Mexican food" chain)

now shut down and available.

While Sunrise had been doing visible business, the two later attempts were seriously never happening.

Now what?

Such a nice setup in a great location.

Selfish wish.

Fantasy time.

How about importing a head chef Mexican-American from California and do a BURRITOS ONLY specialty restaurant?

The only thing that ever worked there somewhat was Mexican food. The space for the SALSA BAR is already there. With BURRITOS ONLY (with the key thing actual Mexican tasting MEATS) you simplify food and training costs and with a good chef offer something nobody else is doing in the province. OK, a major investment but probably less than buying into a CHAIN, no?

Could even add a local touch with some seafood burritos ... squid cooked Mexican style works great in a burrito.

Name ideas?

Puerto Pattaya Burritos

Edited by Jingthing