The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Closure News:

Coffee Corner

formerly Steaks and Suds

formerly SUNRISE TACOS (the Thai "Mexican food" chain)

now shut down and available.

While Sunrise had been doing visible business, the two later attempts were seriously never happening.

Now what?

Such a nice setup in a great location.

Sunrise Tacos did visible business, but nothing that I would call good business based on what I saw during my numerous daily walks past it. It ticked over.

I suspect also that the rent is absurdly high which is probably what put the final nail in the coffin.

My prediction is that the location will be a white elephant indefinitely, with occasional changes of tenant and style interspersed with long periods of emptiness, like so many other places in that area.

Authentic Chinese Restaurant on Soi Photisan, one block from Sukhumwit

This restaurant has been mentioned by others on the forum before, but I thought it deserved a detailed description.

I think they said it is open daily including lunch but don't blame me if you go and its not open.

Soi Photisan runs between Sukhumwit and Naklua Road. (Near the pedestrian overpass.)

From Sukhumwit it is north of North Pattaya Road and a bit south of Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

It is accessible by Sukhumwit baht bus or you could also take North road baht bus to Sukhumvit and then walk.

This is a hole in the wall shophouse restaurant with charming honest Chinese food.

Three sizes are offered on menu items and the menu is completely translated with pictures for all dishes.

Some general Chinese dishes, also some Sichuan and Yunnan dishes.

While this isn't the best Chinese restaurant on the planet in any way, for the quality and price point in Pattaya I would eat there 2 or 3 times a week IF it was closer to me.

I think I understand where JT is coming from with his reviews of restaurants like this.

Finding a decent, wholesome, non-touristy place that offers reasonable quality food at fair prices is always a challenge. Occasionally, a hididen gem will be discovered. I visited this Chinese restaurant last night (on the strength of JT's review) and whilst it would not fall into the 'hidden gem' category it is certainly worthy of another visit.

My sixpenneth:-

First of all JT's directions were spot on. I walked from the other side of Pattaya Nua and the turning into soi Photisan is immediately after the pedestrian footbridge over Sukhumvit road. The restaurant is then easily located on the right, The first challenge i geting in as there is a 60cm floodwall? immediately in front of the entrance doors!

The place reminded me of a 1970's transport cafe in the UK. Minimalist in every way it is a small restaurant with one outside table and about 4 inside. It was encouraging to see 2 tables with Chinese Thais on. Not sure if JT's review was a factor but a westerner and his wife were sitting on the outside table and another westerner called in for a takeaway.

The menu is user-friendly and so is the lady proprietor? I was on my own so I ordered small plates of hot and sour soup, boiled dumplings and the spinach. I had a water and a large LEO (no small ones in stock).

All the food was of a good quality with the hot and sour soup being particularly tasty - I couldn't eat it all and goodness knows how big the large size is! If I was being really picky I would say that the spinach (they had 2 choices of spinach, the one I had was 100 Baht + a water spinach that was cheaper) could have been drained a little better. 375 Baht all in and you wouldn't need to order much more for 2 people.

You don't go here for the ambience, nor would you take someone on a first date. You would go here for decent Chinese food at ensible prices.

Glad you liked it. Yes it's not a posh place and has very few tables. I also noticed they were doing takeout business. Didn't know about outside tables but it's definitely not an ideal place for that what with all the passing traffic. BTW I am not a fan of their hot and sour soup.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hippopotamus in Central has a 50% reduction on burgers at the moment.

Not bad, had one with loads of blue cheese- the baked potatoes are good

You get a choice of two sauces and two side dishes.

If you are hungry and fed up with shopping it's very reasonable and a pleasant view across the bay. Wine is a bit pricy, but they have draught beer.

Staff pleasant and friendly.

• Like 1

If you are hungry and fed up with shopping it's very reasonable and a pleasant view across the bay. Wine is a bit pricy, but they have draught beer.

Offer is VOID on weekends. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Oh dear was only trying to get involved with the restaurant reviews, so many apologies for the many members who turned up for their half price burgers.

Will try to be much more accurate in the future.

I just did not appreciate the caps ( maybe I am too sensitive )

Regards

Oh dear was only trying to get involved with the restaurant reviews, so many apologies for the many members who turned up for their half price burgers.

Will try to be much more accurate in the future.

I just did not appreciate the caps ( maybe I am too sensitive )

Regards

No worries. I wasn't dissing you. I'm sure that place did not post their petty rules on their sign so how would you have known anyway? I know because I went there last night and was told ... the deal is still on starting Monday ... not sure when it ends though.

How much did you pay for the burger with 50% reduction ? Just want to check if its within my budget.

How much did you pay for the burger with 50% reduction ? Just want to check if its within my budget.

It was 400 baht for meal and a large draught beer- to be honest not sure how much the beer was as I did not see the bill as a friend was paying for lunch.

Sorry!

Mama Da restaurant on 2nd road, Jomtien, not far from Rompho market, appears to be SHUT DOWN.

I mention it because it was favorably mentioned on the forum before.

To add, Bali Breeze Indonesian restaurant (which is/was the only dedicated Indonesian restaurant in town), across the road from Mama Da still appears to be shut down. I had heard they were renovating but now I am doubtful even though there are still signs announcing the business.

Edited by Jingthing

FYI, for Pastrami on Rye's new location, their web site Google map has the pin in the wrong spot. The pin shows the restaurant very near the Hanuman Statue intersection on Thappraya Rd, when in fact the restaurant is only a couple doors down from the Thepprasit Rd intersection. If you remember that it's right by Continental Bakery, then you'll easily find it. Talked to the owners and they're aware. Something about when they put the address into Google Maps, it puts the pin in the wrong spot?

Addresses in Thailand will consistently show at the wrong place on Google maps.

They should use GPS coordinates to place their marker.

rompo market italian good is pretty average. Go across the road to yhe small on with a bamboo frontage. IMO the best in pattaya.

Yes. Across 2nd Road. Good Italian food.

The Italian guy cooks your dinner himself, makes the bread too. LaMerenda.

Outdoor dining. A bit warm in there this time of year and make sure you like rock & roll. He has his favourite rock videos on for entertainment.

Okay I just went there for the first time and what a positive surprise! Must have been the best burger i've had in Thailand ever, I ordered a blue cheese burger and I could choose between 2 side dishes that was included in the price. This is really a big meal so you will not leave on an empty stomach.

And now to the price , the burger meal and soda water . including service charge and tax I paid.............. 245 baht.!

Cheaper than McDonalds and Burger King , and it tastes 1000 times better.

I have only one thing to say, if you love a really good, well prepared burger this is the place. I am not sure how long the promotion lasts , they do not advertise it from the outside so you just have to go and ask them. And it's only on weekdays.

I'll be back soon.

• Like 1

I had some sandwiches recently at Pastrami & Rye & they were excellent.

I tried the pulled pork & the Cuban & both were superb.

I also tried their Sicilian pizza another day.

It was cooked perfectly but the topping offer could have been improved, I tried the supreme.

They do cakes & I also took home some apple crumble (a bit sweet for my liking)

Cheese cake (most pleased) & carrot cake (very good but slightly dry)

They brine their own meats & produce their own pastrami.

A lot going on behind the scenes here & I wish them well.

• Like 2

When I was at Pastrtami on Rye a couple weeks ago, the owner (or is he the son of the owner?) said they were in negotiations with a company in Malaysia to produce their pastrami, so the "in house" pastrami may soon be history. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I hope they can ensure consistent quality control over a factory in another country vs their own backroom kitchen.

Okay I just went there for the first time and what a positive surprise! Must have been the best burger i've had in Thailand ever, I ordered a blue cheese burger and I could choose between 2 side dishes that was included in the price. This is really a big meal so you will not leave on an empty stomach.

And now to the price , the burger meal and soda water . including service charge and tax I paid.............. 245 baht.!

Cheaper than McDonalds and Burger King , and it tastes 1000 times better.

I have only one thing to say, if you love a really good, well prepared burger this is the place. I am not sure how long the promotion lasts , they do not advertise it from the outside so you just have to go and ask them. And it's only on weekdays.

I'll be back soon.

I have eaten there several times with friends and I was happy. I had the imported U.S. ribeye and it was quite tasty. The blue cheese burger a buddy had was enormous. I found my burger good because they use imported beef (french?). I found their sides to be very average. The best burger I have had in Pattaya is at the Havana (Holiday Inn).

The 50 percent burger deal is OVER.

I didn't ask about a discount but the girl did offer me "two for the price of one" when I ordered the burger.

What? Yes sir. On "Sunday, it's 2 for the price of one" she informed me.

I declined since i only wanted one burger. No discount appeared on the bill either.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

The 50 percent burger deal is OVER.

Did you ask the staff ? They do not promote it outside the restaurant.

Yes I did.

The staff definitely said no.

Then I raised a bit of a bitch about the fact that they fail to post timelines on their promotion announcements, and the manager came.

She said I could have the deal but she appeared annoyed.

In my opinion, that means it is really over.

Oh, yeah.

I had the meal.

The burger presentation was HUGE.

I couldn't pick it up.

But the patty itself was on the small side. I found it kind of meh ... not awful and not a wonderful beef flavor experience either.

Had the blue cheese choice. That was nice. Large chunk.

You get two sides and two sauces.

I had the ratatouille and baked potato. Enjoyed.

But ask for sour cream on the side if you don't really want much sour cream.

Sauces the Thai "hot and spicy" and some kind of onion mashup. Avoid the hot and spicy if you don't like sugar, it was WAY too sweet.

The bun I didn't like but they had served a piece of dense dark bread as a starter and I liked that.

I am not a huge fan of burgers so I wouldn't pay the full price for that, would prefer to spend elsewhere.

For Thailand this was a good burger experience and with the promotion, yes, grab it when it comes again!

For my life experience with great burgers, not so memorable.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Glad you liked it. Yes it's not a posh place and has very few tables. I also noticed they were doing takeout business. Didn't know about outside tables but it's definitely not an ideal place for that what with all the passing traffic. BTW I am not a fan of their hot and sour soup.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

On the way to that Chinese I spotted Naypuen on Pattaya North Road.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naypuen/1574115936189978?ref=ts&fref=ts

I have since been there 3 times and it is a nicely presented middle of the road Thai restaurant serving a good pad krappow and some very nice dim sum dishes (3 parcels for 26 Baht). Good Tom Yum.

Menu is available in English and they have ete ice cream.

Outside tables will pick up a bit of noise when the Sukhumvit lights change but I like this place.

• Like 1

North Pattaya road, north or south side of it?

South side, half way between Sukhumvit and soi Yumi. Less buses now that they can't turn into Rung Rueng bus station.

It has a retro design with old bicycles, radios, stereos etc decorating the place.