The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

There are Indian people with money eating in Pattaya. You will see them eating at places like Indian by Nature, Madras Darbar, the Indian place in the Royal Cliff, etc.

Madras Darbar isn't overly priced for the quality but it's a decent venue and I often see very well dressed Indian families there so it's fair to assume they have money.

Not all Indians here are on budget tour packages.

In any case this thread really isn't about Indian restaurants in Bangkok (yes there are great options there) or Indian in India. Different markets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I wonder what people in India with money eat, Indian food wise? Thanks and O O mate.

More money doesn't buy you better food….Indian cuisine is highly nuanced and varies greatly by region…there's amazing variety in all the regions….but none of this is reflected in the bog standard indian menu in thailand, singapore, hong kong, ny….wherever.

Its just the usual crap butter chicken, chicken tikka etc. When I was on a project in Bangalore some years ago, the best food I ate was in the homes of colleagues.

Pattaya isn't a world class Indian food destination but there are some decent options here going well beyond butter chicken. Of course butter chicken done well can be wonderful too but I know what you mean by standard menus.

If we had Mexican food options here at the level of the Indian I would be a happy campesino.

So it could be a lot worse.

• Like 1

Yes it's funny that someone who thinks that all indian restaurants are ripp off also think that all Indian are poor hahahaha

I'm not Indian but it's insulting to India. It's part of that whacked out imperialist western restaurant price assumption that if food is from a nation perceived to be darker poorer people the prices should be much lower.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Eatigo.com Pattaya has been a disappointment. Had hoped they would have expanded the options. Instead they shrunk.

Yes. I was surprised by that as it goes from strength to strength in Bangkok. Value for money in restaurants is better in Bangkok than here for many styles of food.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not Indian but it's insulting to India. It's part of that whacked out imperialist western restaurant price assumption that if food is from a nation perceived to be darker poorer people the prices should be much lower.

You two make quite a trio. McDonalds and Burger King are also over priced here in Thailand. Happy now? Saying that however I don't know the current prices of McDonalds in Toyko or NYC. Lets move one shall we? You two keep spending 400 Baht for a decent Indian meal and so will I. The difference will remain I can afford it and like the food vs you two who think it's a decent value. I don't even like McDonalds or Burger King so will pass on those venues. Problem and discussion over. 

On 9/10/2016 at 8:56 PM, Jingthing said:

Eatigo.com Pattaya has been a disappointment. Had hoped they would have expanded the options. Instead they shrunk.

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes. I was surprised by that as it goes from strength to strength in Bangkok. Value for money in restaurants is better in Bangkok than here for many styles of food.

Must be part of the "ambience" of Pattaya.  GrabTaxi is similar -- going from strength to strength in Bangkok, but kind of withered on the vine in Pattaya. Let's not go off topic on taxis.  I just wanted to share that observation.

Indian Rasoi

Previously mentioned. Impression adjusted. 

I had said it was my current "go to" regular level Indian food restaurant.

I also said that changes a lot for me over the years.

I can be a fickle as a spicy Indian pickle, and with SO MANY Indian places to choose from, why not?

Well. my last two experiences there have me in search for a NEW such "go to" regular level Indian place.

The issue was that the spice level was adjusted way down, when the opposite was asked for.

That's a pet peeve of mine. Just can't deal with that. 

My new place would be Madras Darbar but that's a little too pricey for me for a very regular go to place (but I do like it).  

Oh well!

Lebanese Gourmet (closed) on 2nd road roughly across from Beverly Plaza Hotel area which I had been told will become a new Arabic restaurant, alas, is in the process of becoming a new Indian restaurant.

Name is something like Bollywood Kurry (with a K). Oh my!

Jim's Burger & Beer
New better burger joint getting BUZZ.

It appears to be on the road in back of Big C, towards North road from the map.

Be the first on your block to try it.

It does LOOK good.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jims-Burger-Beers-Pattaya/1632543810390957

14359045_10202134913009602_5152447158139265218_n.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I don't grasp where this burger joint is. The major road behind Big C North? It looks fattening and unhealthy but also looks delicious. 

Back of BigC where Big Eye is etc.

Burgers, Craft Beer and Basketball court.

It's decent.

On 9/10/2016 at 1:33 PM, JHolmesJr said:

I usually don't side with Brucie as he has been known to confuse soi 13 with soi yamato…unforgivable IMO :whistling:

However he is right in noting that indian food in thailand is grossly overpriced … and the taste is generally mehhhh….only a couple stand out and by stand out i mean they don't suck.

A friend from india took me out one day in bangkok…we went to one of those soi 11 indian places….he said it was the kind of food made by villagers.

another indian food expert / champion / chef ....

1 hour ago, AsianExport said:

another indian food expert / champion / chef ....

I was just checking the restaurant news and ended up following the back and forth on Indian restaurants...

AE... you present as aggressively-defensive on this issue. I lived in India for 7 years. That's for credibility.

I absolutely believe that almost all Indian restaurants in Pattaya are over-priced for the quality of food they offer. And I have eaten it in many other countries as well, so my basis for comparison is extensive.

I wish they weren't as I'm not a big fan of Thai food.

Edited by bobbin
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Back of BigC where Big Eye is etc.

Burgers, Craft Beer and Basketball court.

It's decent.

I know the Soi. I know exactly where Big Eye is. So with that said, I'll ride over then and look for a basketball court as have never seen one in said area. There is a large bus parking lot opposite Big Eye and across the Soi. There are other mini strip places, must be in one of those. The advantages of time and a motorcycle are on my side so I'll find it. 

On 16/9/2559 at 2:33 AM, Jingthing said:

Indian Rasoi

Previously mentioned. Impression adjusted. 

I had said it was my current "go to" regular level Indian food restaurant.

I also said that changes a lot for me over the years.

I can be a fickle as a spicy Indian pickle, and with SO MANY Indian places to choose from, why not?

Well. my last two experiences there have me in search for a NEW such "go to" regular level Indian place.

The issue was that the spice level was adjusted way down, when the opposite was asked for.

That's a pet peeve of mine. Just can't deal with that. 

My new place would be Madras Darbar but that's a little too pricey for me for a very regular go to place (but I do like it).  

Oh well!

Lebanese Gourmet (closed) on 2nd road roughly across from Beverly Plaza Hotel area which I had been told will become a new Arabic restaurant, alas, is in the process of becoming a new Indian restaurant.

Name is something like Bollywood Kurry (with a K). Oh my!

Jim's Burger & Beer
New better burger joint getting BUZZ.

It appears to be on the road in back of Big C, towards North road from the map.

Be the first on your block to try it.

It does LOOK good.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jims-Burger-Beers-Pattaya/1632543810390957

14359045_10202134913009602_5152447158139265218_n.jpg

Who serves onion rings with ketchup and some Thousand-Island dressing thing...lost all burger cred with this pic.

31 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Who serves onion rings with ketchup and some Thousand-Island dressing thing...lost all burger cred with this pic.

Confused what's oozing off the burger myself. It can't be cheese melting? It can't be thousand island dressing? What is that orange crap running down on the burger itself? Thousand island is good with onion rings, as is actual tarter sauce so don't quite grasp your disdain for that either. Combined with a lack of clear directions to this joint what we have is once again a farang having his senses warped by some bargirls "love" of him. 

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Confused what's oozing off the burger myself. It can't be cheese melting? It can't be thousand island dressing? What is that orange crap running down on the burger itself? Thousand island is good with onion rings, as is actual tarter sauce so don't quite grasp your disdain for that either. Combined with a lack of clear directions to this joint what we have is once again a farang having his senses warped by some bargirls "love" of him. 

Salt and malt vinegar (and maybe ranch dressing ) is all that should be served with onion rings. It's probably a good thing you don't know where this place is located. 

In the U.S. onion rings would generally be served with ketchup, the same as french fries.  My memory of eating them growing up is that people most ate them as a side dish of course without using much of ANY condiment (relative to fries)! 

Edited by Jingthing

In the U.S. o

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Try Chanya Naem Noung, off 3rd Road, last left before Glang junction.

Only Vietnamese in Central Pattaya now.

It won't be what someone from Canada that's used to actually decent Vietnamese restaurants, particularly the correctly long cooked pho broth, and the excellent BEEF will expect.

I would suggest that people looking for a taste of Vietnam in Pattaya, go for the THAI popular Viet dish Nem_Nướng̣. Served in a SET with the pork, rice paper wrappings, vegetable and fruit fillings for wrappings, and large raw vegetable LEAVES. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nem_Nướng̣

Edited by Jingthing

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In the U.S. o

It won't be what someone from Canada that's used to actually decent Vietnamese restaurants, particularly the correctly long cooked pho broth, and the excellent BEEF will expect.

So negative nowadays.

It's coming to the stage, it not worth posting any recommendations on here.

Lately, you have been coming over as a frustrated know it all.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

So negative nowadays.

It's coming to the stage, it not worth posting any recommendations on here.

Lately, you have been coming over as a frustrated know it all.

You're certainly not obligated to post here. Your choice. I wanted to warn the questioner who I'm assuming is from Canada and being from Canada would have experience with really good and authentic Vietnamese Pho. Which is a very specific thing. It does not exist in Pattaya. Do you disagree with that? 

I'm pretty sure it does exist at a few Viet places in Bangkok but haven't been lucky enough to have it there either. 

Similar if someones asked for really authentic Mexican food in Pattaya. It simply does not exist here at all and if that's what you want, might as well save your money and eat some other kinds of food here that are good.

Why duck the truth? 

Anyway, you CAN get good Viet Nem_Nướng̣ here I'm assuming because for some reason that dish gels with THAI tastes. 

Pho isn't very Thai. It's a LONG COOKED broth. The spices are very different than Thai. Thai soups are SHORT COOKED broths. And we all know the issues with BEEF in Thailand. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 17/09/2016 at 1:44 PM, Jingthing said:

. I wanted to warn the questioner who I'm assuming is from Canada and being from Canada would have experience with really good and authentic Vietnamese Pho. Which is a very specific thing. It does not exist in Pattaya.

Thanks for the information.  A shame indeed.  Odd what you miss living in Thailand for a while.  Pho noodles was not one of the expected food items I thought I would not find.  

I see Bangkok has some Pho places I will certainly check them out when there in a couple of weeks.

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Like 1

I noticed, with shock in my eyes, a sign on Soi Lenkee yesterday..

"Smokin Joes BBQ"

There has never been a real American style BBQ in Pattaya. It's being remodeled/built, the logo/font equals Steak and Co. and it's next door. One can only assume it's the same person/people. If it's even decent, it will be welcome and will put the nearby one out to rot which should have happened long ago. Aussies know BBQ, British don't. Let's hope this is a success and good!

JJ, do you have any insight on this project, the money behind it, the planed menu and offerings in true American southern BBQ style and flavor? or  will it be just another as I say botched attempt to fool the public as the other one is??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I noticed, with shock in my eyes, a sign on Soi Lenkee yesterday..

"Smokin Joes BBQ"

There has never been a real American style BBQ in Pattaya. It's being remodeled/built, the logo/font equals Steak and Co. and it's next door. One can only assume it's the same person/people. If it's even decent, it will be welcome and will put the nearby one out to rot which should have happened long ago. Aussies know BBQ, British don't. Let's hope this is a success and good!

JJ, do you have any insight on this project, the money behind it, the planed menu and offerings in true American southern BBQ style and flavor? or  will it be just another as I say botched attempt to fool the public as the other one is??

It's where the failed Jocky's Restaurant was.

I am led to believe it is the same owners as Steak & Co.

• Like 1