Bringing My Bike Over From The U.k

burnsie

Hi all, we're moving back to Thailand and I want to bring my road bike with me, would appreciate any advice on airline costs, if the bike will be included in my personal baggage allowance and which airlines are bike friendly the bike is a carbon team Boardman so fairly light, many thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

I bought my Canondale roadie in UK and bought it back here new. I packed it myself in a proper bike bag and protected all the bits I thought necessary. It arrived reasonably unscathed except for a small bend in the large chainset cog which was easily straightened out. I flew TG and they did not charge me for carriage. Upon arrival I purposefully went through the red channel but was waved through after they determined that it was "only a bike"

That was 2003 though and it is possible nay probable that the system has chenged umpteen times since then. The way I see it, airlines differ in their thinking so it would be best to contact the carryer direct to ask the blunt question.

I would check with your airline as some will transport free of charge but best to confirm a few days before travel too.

You have a nice bike so really make sure it's in a well protected bike bag or box. I worked as ground crew for a while in the UK and some of the baggage handlers do not treat items with the respect they deserve.

Thanks fellas for the prompt answers, it's gonna be one hell of a trip, the Mrs, a 2 month old and a 2 year old, car seats, buggy's. Mrs wants me to sell it and buy another when we get here but I'm against that due to the prices. We're moving to Wichinburi, which is between Saraburi and Petchabun, any bike shops in either of those towns of should I bring lots of spare kit as well??

Cheers Burnsie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I just did a similar trip in November from Aberdeen to Nakhon Phanom. I took my Giant TCR carbon road bike (see what road bike do you ride in Thailand thread), I used a hard shell bike suitcase which I purchased a few years back.

I fly regularly with Qatar Airways and have gold status with them so have an extra 20kg on top of my 23 kg for my economy ticket. My extra allowance didn't transfer for the domestic leg, Aberdeen to Heathrow with British Airways, so was expecting to pay their £40.00 for an extra bag fee and to have to switch terminals in Heathrow with all my luggage. I phoned Qatar about a week before I left as my extra baggage allowance wasn't showing on the e-ticket and explained that I was travelling with a bicycle. Anyway checked in at Aberdeen and there was no extra charge and they booked all my luggage (bike included) through to Bangkok, so a great result. I went through the green customs channel on arrival and they didn't give me a second look.

I even took my bike box and luggage on the free shuttle bus between Swampy and Don Muang, no problem. I had pre-booked the bicycle with Air Asia from Don Muang to Nakhon Phanom for around £16.00. So that was my total charge for my journey, can't complain about that. Really couldn't have been easier and will have no hesitation taking my road Specialized Tarmac over in a couple of years.

Do you have any frequent flyer status with any airlines ?

Regards

I would recommend you fly with Emirates as they give 30kg bag allowance. Each family member will get 30kg, so handy for taking more stuff over. Emirates will take bikes with no extra charge. Just stay within the allowance. If you do take a bike you have to call the airline well before you fly so they know you will be bringing a bike. I normally get a box from a local bike shop, remove front wheel , take off pedals etc and tape the box up. All my bikes have always arrived fine. Some ailrines like KLM and Lufthansa have big charges for bikes so dont just buy any ticket without checking first. I think Emirates are about gbp535 for a BKK return at the moment if you get the cheap fare.

Hi. A cheap but sturdy cardboard bike box may be had from shipping companies. If you have any locally if may be worth giving them a call to see if they will sell you one. Wrap the frame in bubble wrap and you have something that doen't weigh much and doesn't break the bank either.

• Like 1

Bikes arrive at bike shops in boxes all the time. Its normally quite easy to get a perfect box for free. They either get thrown away or recycled anyway. A bike bag wont give better protection but the hard shell bike case should. Is it worth it when the cardboard version can be had for free?

• Like 1