Best And Worst Times To Visit

tc101

Some of you know me from posts in other topics. I am 56 and thinking about retiring to Thailand. My first trip will probably be for about 6-7 weeks. Not sure when I will come.

So are there any really bad times to come? Reading a guide book it looks like the rainy season starts in Mayand the hotest month is March. Is that correct, and how much of a problem is the rain and the heat?

And is it too crowded during the peak tourist season Dec-Feb?

I guess I could find something good and something bad about any time, but what are your recomendations?

If you are thinking of retiring to Thailand you should experience as many months of the year as you can.

A lot will depend on the region in which you choose to live as far as the seasons are concerned.

If you intend to visit as a tourist, you may need to take into consideration the high/low tourist season as far as available accommodation is concerned as well as prices. Prices vary from different locations. Pattaya is cheaper than Phuket for example.

If you don't like the heat you may find March/April uncomfortable.

Only you will know. Personally, I love Thailand in any month but choose to travel during June/July/August because it is low season and the airfares are cheaper.

If you are thinking of retiring to Thailand you should experience as many months of the year as you can.

A lot will depend on the region in which you choose to live as far as the seasons are concerned.

If you intend to visit as a tourist, you may need to take into consideration the high/low tourist season as far as available accommodation is concerned as well as prices. Prices vary from different locations. Pattaya is cheaper than Phuket for example.

If you don't like the heat you may find March/April uncomfortable.

Only you will know. Personally, I love Thailand in any month but choose to travel during June/July/August because it is low season and the airfares are cheaper.

:o:D from where? Thailand to other destination? Worldwide, the airfares are the most expensive in those months.... :D even to Thailand (European travel agents) which is silly.

LaoPo

For some weird reason, every trip I took between 1993 and 2000 was either in February or July.

Even in '04, I came in Feb, July and for the first time, December. In '05, it was Feb again, April, Sept and November.

I like the period of Nov - Feb, as it seems cooler (30 degrees celsius on average). Lot's of tourists though, and things like hotels and airfare is more expensive. I have an apartment, so I don't notice the increased prices too much.

As M.M notes, mid-summer has fewer tourist hordes, and that results in cheaper prices. Could be wet though, depending when the rainy season gets going. Not too worry. The monsoon rains are probably warmer than what comes out of your hotel shower !

:D:D from where? Thailand to other destination? Worldwide, the airfares are the most expensive in those months.... :D even to Thailand (European travel agents) which is silly.

As can be seen from my avitar I come from a Land Down Under. :D (God's and Buddha's favourite country :D )

Our airlines price their fares according to their flight/tourist season. I have found that most of the major airlines are cheapest in May/June. (approaching our Winter months) They regularly advertise specials during these months and early July, before the school holidays.

The Thailand rainy season can be a bit of a nuisance for tourists. When it pours it really buckets down, curtailing most outside activities.

In Pattaya it seems to pour mainly in the evenings. Usually by this time I'm already settled into a nice bar so the rain is a convenient excuse to stay for one more. :o