Doi Suthep Madness Today

siamamerican

Doi Sutthep mountain is my favourite place in Chiang Mai. I had planned on going up there for another hike today, but I knew what the holiday traffic was going to be, and decided against it even on my scooter. It will all settle down once the Bangkok tourists have left. It's a holiday and that is what Thai families do... they go to places they can't visit every day.

Not sure whatt a scooter has to do with a hike.

But if it is as bad as the OP makes it out to be I am quite sure a hike would be faster and for sure more scenic. I believe there is even a restaurant on the way. Not sure about that.

not sure; not sure !!!

I bet you wouldnt be sure if you lost a horse or found a ropeblink.png

I am not sure but I think you have found me out. Let's just keep it between us.wai2.gif

Doi Sutthep mountain is my favourite place in Chiang Mai. I had planned on going up there for another hike today, but I knew what the holiday traffic was going to be, and decided against it even on my scooter. It will all settle down once the Bangkok tourists have left. It's a holiday and that is what Thai families do... they go to places they can't visit every day.

But if it is as bad as the OP makes it out to be I am quite sure a hike would be faster and for sure more scenic. I believe there is even a restaurant on the way. Not sure about that.

It is 6 km from my hotel to the base of Doi Sutthep. Although I could add that distance to the 18 km hike, it's a pain ducking and dodging all the traffic while walking on the road. I like to hike in the forest. I put up with walking along the roads.

It is 6 km from my hotel to the base of Doi Sutthep. Although I could add that distance to the 18 km hike, it's a pain ducking and dodging all the traffic while walking on the road. I like to hike in the forest. I put up with walking along the roads.

Where does the trail start that goes to Doi Suthep? My feet finally feel OK and I want to get off the bike some days. I live near the intersection of Huay Kaew and Canal Rd.

Suthep strawberry sellers: You have out done yourself this time. The box of nice looking strawberries we bought for 200 baht from you contained 2 inches of berries on top and 4 inches of paper and banana leaves under them. Nicely weighted to simulate the weight of 6 inches of real berries. If I could find you again seller, I would stand in front of your stand with the same box open so all could see. But, being new years time, I will just wish you a kinder, more honest year.

• Like 1

This is a 4 day holiday, which for a Thai with very little holiday is significant, it is a great temptation to go to Chiang Mai for New Year and experience the famous cold weather (which seems not to be here this year).As in every country on a big holiday the major sights suffer badly from the congestion. On Friday and Saturday the road north (towards Pai) was a nightmare and tomorrow the road south will be worse. I feel sorry for those who have so little holiday opportunities they end up travelling and sightseeing at such a congested time but it doesn't necessarily make them stupid because it is repeated even in those countries with more vacation choices.

• Like 1

This is a 4 day holiday, which for a Thai with very little holiday is significant, it is a great temptation to go to Chiang Mai for New Year and experience the famous cold weather (which seems not to be here this year).As in every country on a big holiday the major sights suffer badly from the congestion. On Friday and Saturday the road north (towards Pai) was a nightmare and tomorrow the road south will be worse. I feel sorry for those who have so little holiday opportunities they end up travelling and sightseeing at such a congested time but it doesn't necessarily make them stupid because it is repeated even in those countries with more vacation choices.

Yosemite Park in America is a Zoo during the summer holidays. Not just a Thai thing. What makes it hard here is that this is a recent development in Thailand. Thais are mobile now and have money. It will only get worse or better depending on your perspective.