Doi Suthep Madness Today

siamamerican

Looking out my window and traffic has now wrapped around down rd 121. It is a holiday and time to enjoy. Why would you sit in traffic for 2 hours to get to Doi Suthep. Then have to drive another kilometer up the road to find a parking spot. Oh and the fun has just begun! Now you get to take your family through traffic that makes Los Angeles rush hours look tame.

3-4 hours into your adventure you finally arrive at Doi Suthep! It smells like a truck stop but that is left behind as you fight your way through the mass of tourists that really have no idea why they are actually making this trip. There is a nice view at the top and this keeps you motivated but nobody told you that the city is covered in smog and be excited if you glimpse what could be a building or some edifice.

Now have had the wondrous experience of Doi Suthep in all its grandeur, you get to rinse and repeat the fun trip up to Doi Suthep in reverse. Knowing that the 1930 model whatever that can't round a turn at anything even close to what would be considered driving speed will not even consider pulling aside for just 2 minutes so the 50 cars behind can pass.

The Zoo is in sight and the trip is almost over but no there is still loads of fun left. You now sit in your car and suck in exhaust unless you put your AC on recirculate but every smells like dirty shoes and, <deleted>, deisel fumes aren't that bad.

Now within 1 kilometer of your hotel, you are on the road that surrounds the moat. The fun is almost over but again after 1 hour and 500 meters of forward motion, you realize that CM is never ending fun.

Edited by siamamerican

Doi Sutthep mountain is my favourite place in Chiang Mai. I had planned on going up there for another hike today, but I knew what the holiday traffic was going to be, and decided against it even on my scooter. It will all settle down once the Bangkok tourists have left. It's a holiday and that is what Thai families do... they go to places they can't visit every day.

• Like 2

Bangkokians (Thais) confuse me. We have relatives that live in Bangkok and come up three of four times a year. They always do the same thing. Drive for 9 hours straight in a very overpacked Vigo. Find the cheapest hotel possible - spending half a day hopping from one to another for the sake of a 100 baht (ignored if mention they just lost 5 times that in petrol/gas). Then its on to an outdoor roadside type "restaurant" that does Bangkok style food. Next moring, up at the crack of dawn - Doi Suthep or zoo (staying at neither longer than 2 hours - getting there and back takes this and more) - "dad" stays in the car wherever they go due to his dodgy knee (and love of polishing his steering wheel). Off to the nearest Big-C for shopping (why? they have them in Bkk, I know I've seen them). Then before dusk, its all back in the Vigo for another 9 hour no-stop-but-gas-stop drive home.

It costs them as much in fuel (more in fact) than round trip VIP coach tickets would cost. With all the things to do up here, its always Doi Suthep or the zoo - rush around (zoo they just take the tour coach once around and then leave) - do things they can do at home, then leave. I might add that they are retired adults and kids that do not need to be back straight off - and that even when overseas family join them (and pay for the hotel) they still do the one nighter only.

Edited by wolf5370

Hate to disappoint on the smog but the wat is visiable from my room

Mine also but go up there and look down. I was just at the rest stop at 5 kilometers up the road and as I stated the city is covered in a haze. I never stated you couldn't see the mountain or the temple today. Good luck at the end of next month which I did state. Why would I be disappointed?

Doi Sutthep mountain is my favourite place in Chiang Mai. I had planned on going up there for another hike today, but I knew what the holiday traffic was going to be, and decided against it even on my scooter. It will all settle down once the Bangkok tourists have left. It's a holiday and that is what Thai families do... they go to places they can't visit every day.

You're smarter than me. I should have sat on the porch and read a book. Oh well, I still can after locating my lung in the toilet.

Edited by siamamerican

In the "big" village of some 2 or 3,000 people which is nowhere near any big city the local government painted lines at an angle so that more cars could park more easily and they even painted slots for motorbikes outside 7/11 and the bank.

I went down this morning to get more soda and ice to find the road in the centre of the village was completely blocked by a grockle (old english/cornish word for tourist) who had found an angled parking spot. The fact that it was on the other side of the road and he drove carefully down the middle and reversed into the slot was of no concern to him. The fact that he blocked the street for 5 minutes didn't matter, he had found a parking space very close to 7/11 so they only had to walk perhaps 10 metres. Of course he could have parked outside the 7/11 if is wasn't for the kwai kaprot who had parked across 6 motorbike parking slots and was 1/2 way out in the road anyway.

I parked in a slot at an angle about 10 metres away and the guy from the shop took my empty soda cases and changed them out for me while I walked to the bank and got some money as the ATMS will be empty by Monday and the bank won't reopen until Wednesday. I drove up to the ice shop and went home.

'er indoors can go to the village from now until the grockles go home.

It's not just Doi Suthep that is popular. Yesterday it took me 5 minutes of waiting to see a gap big enough on the road to Pai to cycle across after a mountain bike ride. Then there was a kilometer long traffic jam at the Mae Taeng signal light of even more people headed further north. The North is popular in the cold season, but the roads will be quiet again in February.

Hiked up this morning; couldnt believe my eyes when I hit the road 200m before the temple.; cars, songthaews, mini vans parked both sides at least another 2 bends further down. Road was so chocker I honestly had difficulty getting my slim physique through the traffic and people who had just abandoned cars further down and decided to walk.

fortunately my watering hole at the top remained quiet.....

Plenty of people hiking up today, but only farangs as expected....best way up today guys, if you are preapred for sore legs.

• Like 1

Bangkokians (Thais) confuse me. We have relatives that live in Bangkok and come up three of four times a year. They always do the same thing. Drive for 9 hours straight in a very overpacked Vigo. Find the cheapest hotel possible - spending half a day hopping from one to another for the sake of a 100 baht (ignored if mention they just lost 5 times that in petrol/gas). Then its on to an outdoor roadside type "restaurant" that does Bangkok style food. Next moring, up at the crack of dawn - Doi Suthep or zoo (staying at neither longer than 2 hours - getting there and back takes this and more) - "dad" stays in the car wherever they go due to his dodgy knee (and love of polishing his steering wheel). Off to the nearest Big-C for shopping (why? they have them in Bkk, I know I've seen them). Then before dusk, its all back in the Vigo for another 9 hour no-stop-but-gas-stop drive home.

It costs them as much in fuel (more in fact) than round trip VIP coach tickets would cost. With all the things to do up here, its always Doi Suthep or the zoo - rush around (zoo they just take the tour coach once around and then leave) - do things they can do at home, then leave. I might add that they are retired adults and kids that do not need to be back straight off - and that even when overseas family join them (and pay for the hotel) they still do the one nighter only.

I can understand what you are saying. I used to feel the same way. But , in the interveniening years, I have learned to understand that people should do what makes them happy and not really expect them to do what makes me happy. It doesn't have to make sense to me only to them...... If that what blows their skirt up, so be it... As long as they are happy and with their family, 'good on em '

Happy New Year to all

G

• Like 2

Chiang Mai Mail is reporting the following:

"Huay Kaew Road from Canal to doi Suthep is closed off to traffic as Doi Suthep can't handle any more traffic. All U-turns on Canal Road are closed. Canal Road is one giant traffic jam, apparently all the way up to Mae Rim if reports coming are true."

They also have a pic of the roadblock here:

-Mestizo

Best way to doi suthep is by the hiking path. I can get up there in under 45 minutes. Great way to spend a morning.

On part of that I agree with you, but first you have to get to HueyKaow falls at the base of the mountain. The traffic to that point is a nightmare in a car. And, if you can hike the 9 km up that rough trail to the temple in 45 minutes you are a great physical speciman that should be in the Olympics.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Mail is reporting the following:

"Huay Kaew Road from Canal to doi Suthep is closed off to traffic as Doi Suthep can't handle any more traffic. All U-turns on Canal Road are closed. Canal Road is one giant traffic jam, apparently all the way up to Mae Rim if reports coming are true."

https://www.facebook...152378726900626

They also have a pic of the roadblock here:

https://www.facebook...72500625&type=1

-Mestizo

...it's true...

Best way to doi suthep is by the hiking path. I can get up there in under 45 minutes. Great way to spend a morning.

On part of that I agree with you, but first you have to get to HueyKaow falls at the base of the mountain. The traffic to that point is a nightmare in a car. And, if you can hike the 9 km up that rough trail to the temple in 45 minutes you are a great physical speciman that should be in the Olympics.

I start at the trail near the back side of the Zoo. If you'd like to place a wager that's worth my while, I'd be happy to take you up on it.

I can understand what you are saying. I used to feel the same way. But , in the interveniening years, I have learned to understand that people should do what makes them happy and not really expect them to do what makes me happy. It doesn't have to make sense to me only to them...... If that what blows their skirt up, so be it... As long as they are happy and with their family, 'good on em '

Happy New Year to all

G

Oh I don't begrudge them it, just confuses me that they travel all that way and do the same old stuff and leave so fast. No skin of my nose. I realise the real aim is to see us (their daughter and grand kids), so how could I begrudge that.

I start at the trail near the back side of the Zoo. If you'd like to place a wager that's worth my while, I'd be happy to take you up on it.

The path is much shorter in distance than the road and is roughly a 2000 ft elevation gain. Not remotely close to easy but very possible for many individuals. They race from the Zoo to Doi Suthep on the road (much longer) every year ( Feb 2 this year) and I think 47ish minutes wins it most years. If I can get through my foot injury, I think 47 is doable this year. Just need my feet to cooperate soon so I can train a little.

Just to 'improve' the flow of traffic,the lights were off(!) and the intersection blocked (Huey Kaew and canal RD).....tongue.png

and the best part it is working! The traffic in the inner city away from the moat is actually pleasant the last 2 days. It was anything but that prior to the change. Stupid me can't figure how it has gone so smoothly. Only one lane is open to turn onto Huey Kaew at the Canal road intersection. Also, it has increased the number of cars reaching D Suthep which is apparent because the traffic comes to a stop 6K from D Suthep. Oh well, if it works...

At around the traffic on the southside of the moat was very light rode around to get a paper at the first u-turn and no problem, turned toward Pantip center and hardly any traffic. Stopped at the red light at pantip and was suprised first in-line, across Changklan road then the traffic pick up on the river road to iron bridge. I had to park about 50 meters from Dukes as the parking on this side of river is packed. Finished lunch headed back to the old city and traffic wasn't to bad until thee big whitee teemple on Taphae Road and then back up from there. Of course the idiots parking in the road do not help and no police insight as they had road blocks set up at the Bridge to collect funds for the New Year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

We can have another trip up, I am down to 55 minutes now with no stops and today that included finally clearing the broken bamboo around the pylon thumbsup.gif after stepping over the stuff 50 times.....but I still think your watch is slow

Just to 'improve' the flow of traffic,the lights were off(!) and the intersection blocked (Huey Kaew and canal RD).....tongue.png

and the best part it is working! The traffic in the inner city away from the moat is actually pleasant the last 2 days. It was anything but that prior to the change. Stupid me can't figure how it has gone so smoothly. Only one lane is open to turn onto Huey Kaew at the Canal road intersection. Also, it has increased the number of cars reaching D Suthep which is apparent because the traffic comes to a stop 6K from D Suthep. Oh well, if it works...

thats the start of traffic re organisation around Nimmen, Next month they are making Nimmen road one way from soi 1 to soi 17. Loooks like traffic will be crawling down soi 17 onto sirimangklajarn in a big loop. Maybe just the rush hour times of after 4pm.....signs up everywhere warning people.

Yesterday i came from Huay Kaew to get to 700 stadium and I thought the small diversion was seamless, worked well and a good idea., sadly my idea of going to the stadium on a public holiday was not so great.

Not sure whatt a scooter has to do with a hike.

But if it is as bad as the OP makes it out to be I am quite sure a hike would be faster and for sure more scenic. I believe there is even a restaurant on the way. Not sure about that.

Not sure whatt a scooter has to do with a hike.

But if it is as bad as the OP makes it out to be I am quite sure a hike would be faster and for sure more scenic. I believe there is even a restaurant on the way. Not sure about that.

not sure; not sure !!!

I bet you wouldnt be sure if you lost a horse or found a ropeblink.png

thats the start of traffic re organisation around Nimmen, Next month they are making Nimmen road one way from soi 1 to soi 17. Loooks like traffic will be crawling down soi 17 onto sirimangklajarn in a big loop. Maybe just the rush hour times of after 4pm.....signs up everywhere warning people.

Yesterday i came from Huay Kaew to get to 700 stadium and I thought the small diversion was seamless, worked well and a good idea., sadly my idea of going to the stadium on a public holiday was not so great.

I thought it was just for the holidays. The traffic went from beyond terrible to little traffic once the barriers were put up. Also a large police representation that is not allowing double parking. It is amazing how simply not allowing cars to stop in a congested road fixes the problem. A few days ago a young Thai dropped his girl off to talk to friends and let the traffic that was already backed up for a mile try to get around him. He didn't move for 5 minutes. Thais are no different than other cultures and the few idiots have to be punished financially or they will continue to make everybody else suffer.

I keep reading on this thread that traffic will disappear in Jan-Feb. Do these posters live here? It will get better but my no means disappear or even resemble normal traffic.

It will return to normal as it is known locally. The problem with the traffic at present is half of Bangkok came to Chiang mai and the other half went to Issan. We had the same problem during loy Kratong but around the river area. Traffic sshould be back to normal by next weekend. Most tourist do not drive their personal vehicle but take busses, red taxis, vans and tuk tuks so we will still have this mess until the end of Feb. I live near the Sat. walking market and the traffic last night had to be the worse I have ever seen here.

Edited by moe666