Driving Around In Thailand With Expired Road Tax.

Holysteel

What is the penalty for driving with an expired road tax ?

I am planning to drive to Krabi & expect lots of BIB roadblock along the way.

I was hoping i will get away with just a fine.

I already have extended the car insurance. Should i need to keep a copy of the extended insurance to show to the BIBs? Or they do not bother checking the insurance ?

I already have extended the car insurance. Should i need to keep a copy of the extended insurance to show to the BIBs? Or they do not bother checking the insurance ?

How did you extend the car insurance without the tax?

At the check points they tend to look for tax. Good luck

sent from my Q6

No tax, your insurance will not be valid.

Don't hit anything or any compensation will be out of your own pocket.

This is way, way to general stated.

The compulsory 3rd party insurance may not be valid, I don't know since I have never read the conditions, but any specific car insurance, whether it be 3rd party or 1st/second class, will normally be valid, unless excluded in the policy conditions. Don't know about the insurance of the OP, but my insurance would be valid since there is no such exclusion.

Our car has always been taxed & insured at the same time,didnt know you could do it any other way,the tax is way cheaper than the insurance anyway,why not pay the tax?

Is this your pickup or are you borrowing it?

I've known some Thais to drive for years without renewing the road tax (usually motorbikes). If this is the case, I believe that you will have to pay for the unpaid years to get a current one.

If you have paid for insurance, you should have the receipt and the policy in the car with you when you drive.

Not a good idea to drive without insurance and until you see proof that you are covered, I would advise that you postpone your trip until you are definitely legal and covered.

Is this your pickup or are you borrowing it?

I've known some Thais to drive for years without renewing the road tax (usually motorbikes). If this is the case, I believe that you will have to pay for the unpaid years to get a current one.

If you have paid for insurance, you should have the receipt and the policy in the car with you when you drive.

Not a good idea to drive without insurance and until you see proof that you are covered, I would advise that you postpone your trip until you are definitely legal and covered.

Also don't forget to carry your Thai driving license (or international permit and country license)

sent from my Q6

I got caught once driving the in-laws' car on the way back to BKK (they failed to tell me the tax was expired).

I paid 500 THB fine, got a receipt and had to pay tax within 2 weeks of the ticket.

Edited by JoeW

I am condoning wrongdoing but some time ago had done over 25k in a year without RoadTax. Stopped many times during that period too (It was suggested fine in these parts was only 200b). Sold the vehicle in that same situation and the new driver was told that back payment will be needed when he renews the expired tax. Always kept up the 1st class insurance though!

Edited by DILLIGAD

Its strange.. I gave the thai family member some baht & they told me they extended the insurance...

This could be true. But you have to take a copy of the insurance to the road tax office and pay the tax before that expires. Like others said, you'll be fined by BIB if stopped and insurance not covered until tax is valid?

Its strange.. I gave the thai family member some baht & they told me they extended the insurance...

This could be true. But you have to take a copy of the insurance to the road tax office and pay the tax before that expires. Like others said, you'll be fined by BIB if stopped and insurance not covered until tax is valid?

This is at least the 3rd time that somebody here claims 'insurance not covered if road tax not paid/valid'.

Please show some proof of this before making those claims.

This is at least the 3rd time that somebody here claims 'insurance not covered if road tax not paid/valid'.

I would suggest you show me some proof of it not being required? I would find it difficult to believe an insurance company would cover for an incident on a public road involving an illegal activity?

I would suggest you show me some proof of it not being required? I would find it difficult to believe an insurance company would cover for an incident on a public road involving an illegal activity?

My policy (Tanachart) does not state road tax as a requirement for coverage, how about yours? Should be easy to check, please let us know including the company name.

Regarding illegal activities, insurance covers for those all the time, or do you think a policy is invalid if somebody does not signal for a turn, does not have lights, etc.?

My policy (Tanachart) does not state road tax as a requirement for coverage, how about yours? Should be easy to check, please let us know including the company name.

Regarding illegal activities, insurance covers for those all the time, or do you think a policy is invalid if somebody does not signal for a turn, does not have lights, etc.?

By illegal I was thinking more in terms of driving without road tax (the o/p subject), driving without a driving license or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Good luck getting Tanachart to agree to any of that?

My insurance is from Bangkok Insurance but as I am 3000km from the car and copy of the insurance this month it isn't as easy to check just now as you thought. I am willing to be surprised and proved wrong on my thinking.

Insurance invalid if no tax? Nonsense! In the UK a friend of mine smashed his car into railings when drunk, ran from the scene and the insurance company paid out. He was asked if he had been convicted of an offence, and as he was awaiting trial he stated 'no' and he got his cash.

There is no way road tax is a condition of insurance.

As for the OP getting insurance before tax, that is how it works. I get the compulsory with my additional cover, certificate arrives in the post, I go and pay the tax. I previously had only compulsory and bought it from a woman from an insurance agent in the tax office. Next year they had a different company in there, but you can buy it from any broker or insurance company. Shop around and you might save 20 baht!

By illegal I was thinking more in terms of driving without road tax (the o/p subject), driving without a driving license or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Good luck getting Tanachart to agree to any of that?

My insurance is from Bangkok Insurance but as I am 3000km from the car and copy of the insurance this month it isn't as easy to check just now as you thought. I am willing to be surprised and proved wrong on my thinking.

And you will be proved wrong.

So you're comparing driving without road tax to driving under the influence? Wrong comparison, it is a minor offense, just like forgetting to signal.