Gun Culture In Thailand

JurgenG

Gun culture in Thailand  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

wrt legal firearms I remember reading an article about most of these being sold on black market, since officers can get them at a discount, something like 50 k for a semi or .45 that would normally cost you 100k +.

A lot of people have firearms, a lot of people have firearm training especially wot with the national service and the like here

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of guns in Thailand ... One time 'back in the day' ... I hitchhiked from Korat to Nakhon Phanom alone... flagging down vehicles - mostly gasoline transport trucks. The gasoline trucks most often stopped. They seemed to like the idea that I was carrying my M-16. and my 9mm. About ever 50 kilometers I found out why .. there would be a burnt out or blown up gasoline truck or other transport truck along side the road compliments of the local CT (Communist Terrorist of that time). Quite an adventure those couple of days. The Thai gun owners of that time were hiding out in the jungles of Issan running the ridge lines holding on to their AK-47s.

I said "no" on the last question, but more because of the word "culture".

A gun "culture" means to me, that there is some kind of refference to guns in the past (as the so ever mentioned "2nd amendement" in the US) and a away of people "treating" their guns in a right and responsible manner.

I'm sure that perception depends on where you live in Thailand and what you see to choose to see.

You wouldn't think that there was a single gun in and around our village but I know that one slightly intellectually challenged farmer keeps one and someone, presumably pissed out of his brain, let off a couple of volleys to celebrate the New Year. He enjoyed another celebration two weeks later.

Drunken fools with guns are a concern. However, they are unlikely to invade your home. The bigger problem, and I believe that it will grow, is brain dead scooter boy. What will he do for cash when his parents can no longer support him? In the cities he may visit 7/11s with his gun. In the sticks, he may have an eye on those farang homes which he know are full of things he can sell for booze and yaba.

As for the question 'does Thailand have a gun culture', I wonder what is the definition of the term? Every country has some sort of gun culture, even of its one that severely restricts ownership.