Gun Culture In Thailand

JurgenG

Gun culture in Thailand  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does Thailand has a gun culture ?

To help us answer this question I prepared a small poll for the people living in Thailand.

First question : Do you have a gun at home ? We know foreigner are not usually allowed to own a gun but if one of your relative lving under your roof has a gun, it is a "yes"

Second question : it has someone you personally know, and you know it for a fact. If you just heard that someone at the end of the soi may have a gun, it doesn't count.

Third question. It is more a question of feeling. Personally I don't think so but other may disagree.

Depends where you are.

I live in a small village NE of Udon Thani and you see people driving around on motorcycles carrying long guns quite often. They are old style small bore muzzle loaders and are perfectly legal. Used for hunting small game for the pot but have been known to be used to put a small hole in somebody.

It's a rural lifestlye and guns are common, as they were when I grew up on a farm in Canada. As for the cities I don't know.

Guns do seem easy to acquire though, I've been offered handguns for sale that were illegal (passed on the offer) and have been asked by the local police chief at the amphur that if I want to buy one legally just come and see him for permission.

Personally I'd like to have a gun, but my wife is far too hotheaded for me to have one in the house

Ken

Depends where you are.

I live in a small village NE of Udon Thani and you see people driving around on motorcycles carrying long guns quite often. They are old style small bore muzzle loaders and are perfectly legal. Used for hunting small game for the pot but have been known to be used to put a small hole in somebody.

It's a rural lifestlye and guns are common, as they were when I grew up on a farm in Canada. As for the cities I don't know.

Guns do seem easy to acquire though, I've been offered handguns for sale that were illegal (passed on the offer) and have been asked by the local police chief at the amphur that if I want to buy one legally just come and see him for permission.

Personally I'd like to have a gun, but my wife is far too hotheaded for me to have one in the house

Ken

Me, it's a bit the opposite, I'm known for my short temper and my wife has so far blocked all my efforts to acquire a gun biggrin.png .

I understand what you say about rural life in Canada. It's the same for me back in Europe, all my relatives are hunters and all have at least a couple of rifles home. But they are most of year locked in a cabinet and used only during the hunting season. In my opinion it's very different to owning a hand gun that you carry in your car or keep under your pillow at night.

Edited by JurgenG

Thailand has a Gun Culture second only to the Philippines.

You can get CCW outside of BKK readily and getting them for your house is simple if you go to the cops.

Note that pistols are ok, but anything like hunting rifles is a bit more difficult AFAIK.

The gap between Very Few to More than Half is a very big Jump. So I skipped that question because it is seriously flawed. Turns out you cannot skip it - so I voted very few friends/acquaintances own guns.

Edited by toybits

I voted no, none and no respectively - I did experience an incident about five years ago when a drunken neighbour shot a gun outside in the street one night but I don't think that counts. I live in Bangkok and I've never actually seen a gun pulled or anyone shot. I'm interested by what spacedcowboy wrote - I've been to over a dozen funerals and never seen a gun, everyone just sits around in the temple chatting and eating with the corpse on display (yuk!) and then there's the cremation. For all this talk about lots of Thais having guns the only fight I've ever witnessed between taxi drivers was outside this 7/11 with a weird queuing system where the back of the line of parked taxis was the front and some old guy pulled up at the back not realising it was the front. Another driver got out and started shouting and there was this sense amongst onlookers like 'This is going to get good', no-one said this, but you could sense it, then the driver went to his cab and picked out ..... a stick - quite the anticlimax.

For most people in Thailand, they don't have guns and don't get involved in guns.

The "bad boys" all have guns, and regularly use them (We live on a main road, and have had gun shots outside our house 2x in the past year, both times from "bad boys" on motorcycles chasing each other on motorcycles and shooting at each other as they go). Likewise, it seems that every time I hear about a decent mor lum concert, I also hear about the "bad boys" having a fight there, sometimes they pull guns, sometimes they just fight with other weapons, occasionally people get killed as a result.

Likewise, my friends who own businesses have guns, some quite a collection actually (one even had an M16 as well, but he onsold it because it was an illegal one and he had too much to lose if he was caught with it). They have them incase someone tries to rob their business, as if their alarm goes off at night, they'll need to check it out themselves, and they don't want to go unarmed.

But all in all, I think most people here don't want to get involved with guns. People just don't get into a situation where they'd ever need to use one, and there's better ways to spend money. Only the bad boys and business owners/managers need them, to protect their "turf" or business as the case may be.

My (admittedly) unscientific opinion is that it is dependent on different factors. First whether you are out in a rural area, or out in Bangkok or Patts (more crowded areas). This affects the ease of which you can get a permit to own. BKK seems to be less inclined to issue a permit than someplace out in the sticks. Secondly, it would also depend on the income. From pricing guns in Thailand, the handgun you could get in the USA for $500 is $1000USD or more in Thailand due to import duties. So obviously if you are Thai and aren't earning that much money, you wouldn't have the disposable income for a firearm. Most poorer people would rather buy a new scooter than a gun.

However, with that said, for the wealthier Thais (Middle class and up) they are (IMHO) more likely than not have a gun. If they can afford it, they will buy it.

Then there's the poor gangster types...they have them, but their guns aren't legal. Sometimes they manufacture their own. Google "Thai pradit" and you will see what I'm talking about.

There's actually an interesting article on guns in the Bangkok Post on november 18, 2012, but BKK post does not allow Thaivisa to link to their articles. If you google "Thai pradit" with "Bangkok Post" you'll see what I'm talking about. It is an interesting article to say the least. There are probably alot more guns in circulation in Thailand than most people on this board realize.

P.S. Friendly reminder, that linking or quoting directly from the Bangkok Post is against forum rules as the BKK does not allow it. I *believe* it is ok to discuss their articles on this forum if no direct quoting or linking is done, and if I am wrong, moderators please let me know.

Edited by submaniac
  • Like 1

The article seems to confirm what has been said earlier. Most of the firearms on circulation are illegals and it's not your average Thai citizen who is going to be involve in this kind of business. That the availability of guns in the criminal world is on the rise is an other debate.

Now saying that the gun may be regarded as a status symbol, I don't believe it, it is not in the culture. A gold rolex with diamond, yes, a gun no. The only neighour I know who travel with a gun is the son of a well known politician and it's actually the driver who carry the gun.

Loads of people shooting birds around where I live, but I doubt LOS has a gun culture. For a start, there are NO gun shops where I live.

My wife would like to have a gun. I would too, but if I were to shoot a Thai thief I know it would not go well with me, so I don't want one here to avoid temptation.

The article seems to confirm what has been said earlier. Most of the firearms on circulation are illegals and it's not your average Thai citizen who is going to be involve in this kind of business. That the availability of guns in the criminal world is on the rise is an other debate.

well the article did put out that 285,000 Legal guns were being distributed between 2009 to 2014. So those guns are definitely going I suppose to normal, legal Thai owners. Cheers.

Everyone has guns out my way, land border with Lao. Government gave them out on both sides of the border, few were ever handed back. Every hut will have a muzzle loader and any one with any status will have a hunting rifle. Hand guns are fewer, or not seen as often, but you can buy them cheaply, Chinese 11 mils from Cambodia.

We have 3 rifles in the house, small bore [22] FIL and BIL work for the Government, hand gun permits are easy to get if you have a rubber plantation, lots of rubber thieves. This is not suburbia, but a jungle area, no police to speak of only border soldiers.

Have to say there are fire fights in the jungle, drug smugglers, poachers, illegal logging etc, but very little happens in the villages, very safe. Jim

My in-laws are all gun lovers.They're all members of shooting clubs in or around the BKK area.I've got 3 pistols in my house.All donated by her brother (who has about 20 different firearms at home)and all legal.All the friends of the in-laws go to the shooting clubs as well,so I'd agree to some extent that there is a gun culture in Thailand.

Funny results so far.

A vast majority of posters don't know many, if any, people with gun but still we have a majority who think that Thailand has a gun culture.

Perception and reality are sometime far apart it seems.

And for the 5 posters who replied that everybody they know have a gun at home ... we obvioulsy living in completely different worlds. Unless of course it's the people who live in hunting area. I should probably have added an additional question, do you live in the city or in the country side.

Edited by JurgenG

Funny results so far.

A vast majority of posters don't know many, if any, people with gun but still we have a majority who think that Thailand has a gun culture.

And for the 5 posters who replied that everybody they know have a gun at home ... we obvioulsy living in completely different worlds. Unless of course it's the people who live in hunting area. I should probably have added an additional question, do you live in the city or in the country side.

Think that's probably world wide, rural people have guns, city dwellers have no real need. Here hunting is a way of life, puts meat on the table.

New years day and FIL, 2 BILs and half the men folk of the village have headed up into the jungle for the night, all will be armed.

Think there will be more drinking than hunting though. Jim

It's well known that just about every house in this town of maybe three thousand, has a firearm.

GF told me this just last night:

She spent five obligatory minutes at a neighbor's (we'll call him Turdsak) New Year's party. The guy comes out of his house, lots of drunks, holds his new 9mm up for everyone to see. Says he got it for 80k, legally, in BKK.

Then he starts passing it around, absorbing face with every oooh or ahhh. My GF, remembering my "advice," hits the bricks.

Few minutes later (a friend filled her in later, although the GF could hear it all) one of the guests does a Hollywood "sighting," looking down the barrel like he's some gun expert. Gun goes off.

Now all the grown "men" are excited. Others pull their guns (including cops) and shoot, presumably, in the air. This goes on for a minute or so, along with black powder explosions, until someone notices Turdsak's prized "boxing cow" tipping over. A bull worth many baht.

GF and I have discussed leaving LOS. I've resisted because, for one reason, I want it to be her decision, and for her to be sure of it.

She's pretty sure now.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Funny results so far.

Perception and reality are sometimes far apart. I would agree with that. The reality is most think Thailand has a gun culture.smile.png

It's well known that just about every house in this town of maybe three thousand, has a firearm.

She spent five obligatory minutes at a neighbor's (we'll call him Turdsak) New Year's party. The guy comes out of his house, lots of drunks, holds his new 9mm up for everyone to see. Says he got it for 80k, legally, in BKK.

Then he starts passing it around, absorbing face with every oooh or ahhh. My GF, remembering my "advice," hits the bricks.

Few minutes later (a friend filled her in later, although the GF could hear it all) one of the guests does a Hollywood "sighting," looking down the barrel like he's some gun expert. Gun goes off.

Now all the grown "men" are excited. Others pull their guns (including cops) and shoot, presumably, in the air. This goes on for a minute or so, along with black powder explosions, until someone notices Turdsak's prized "boxing cow" tipping over. A bull worth many baht.

GF and I have discussed leaving LOS. I've resisted because, for one reason, I want it to be her decision, and for her to be sure of it.

She's pretty sure now.

Clearly a situation worth tolerating for protecting my freedom from a potential tyrannical government.

She's pretty sure now.

Clearly a situation worth tolerating for protecting my freedom from a potential tyrannical government.

I'm guessing you're having a bit of sarcastic fun, not insinuating that I support such moronic behavior.

She's pretty sure now.

I'm guessing you're having a bit of sarcastic fun, not insinuating that I support such moronic behavior.

Glad you detected the sarcasm. I'd be extremely uneasy as you and your partner would be.

She's pretty sure now.

Glad you detected the sarcasm. I'd be extremely uneasy as you and your partner would be.

I feel bad for the cow.

I went to a Thai funeral a couple of years back, and after the ceremony , the Thai whiskey came out along with the pistols. Up until this point I hadn't realized how many Thai's carried guns quite scary really after a couple of hours of drinking.

It's not the gun itself I'm so worried about. The problem is many Thais are loose cannons and/or half wits. People (any where in the world) who feel inadequate or lack backbone or communication skills think they need a gun (it could even be the small dick syndrome).

I went to a Thai funeral a couple of years back, and after the ceremony , the Thai whiskey came out along with the pistols. Up until this point I hadn't realized how many Thai's carried guns quite scary really after a couple of hours of drinking.

It's not the gun itself I'm so worried about. The problem is many Thais are loose cannons and/or half wits. People (any where in the world) who feel inadequate or lack backbone or communication skills think they need a gun (it could even be the small dick syndrome).

It must really freak you out that Thailand has a large Army, Navy and Airforce and Marine corps. If a .45 pistol is a sign of a small dick syndrome think what a submarine or aircraft carrier is.biggrin.png I always wondered why people liked to be in the field artillery. Now that you explained it, I understand.

• Like 1