Nimmanhemin Road Bonkers Decision!

PostmanPat

According to the Chiang Mai Mail the police have decided to make Nimmanhemin Road one way only as an experiment throughout January. The traffic flow will be from the Rincome end towards Suthep Road. They say traffic going the other way will be diverted into the small Sois on the right (if coming from Suthep Road end).

Completely bonkers and definitely cant and wont work. Cue gridlock, confusion and nonsense!!!

It's worth a try I think, because the status quo is not acceptable either.

Concern is that it will load up the small sois, especially if Sirimankhalajarn Rd doesn't become one way too. (because turning right across traffic on to that road coming from Nimman would be hard, and would create jams in sois for people wanting to go North.

Overall Nimman needs less traffic, so another thing this experiment will do is make sure people stay on the Canal Road when North-Bound. This in turn of course creates more pressure at the traffic lights at CMU's eastern entrance and especially the Phucome intersection, which really needs some sort of flyover.

Overall it's worth a try. It worked well for many other roads downtown that people considered impossible at the time. Keep in mind the moat roads weren't always one way!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

According to the Chiang Mai Mail the police have decided to make Nimmanhemin Road one way only as an experiment throughout January. The traffic flow will be from the Rincome end towards Suthep Road. They say traffic going the other way will be diverted into the small Sois on the right (if coming from Suthep Road end).

Completely bonkers and definitely cant and wont work. Cue gridlock, confusion and nonsense!!!

I remember hearing the same sentiments when they decided to switch the roads around the moat into a one way system. That actually worked and improved the traffic flow. So I would wait and give it a chance.

• Like 2

There is a semi-related article right underneath the Chiang Mai Mail, Nimmanhemin Road article regarding traffic in Chiang Mai. Might be worthwhile looking at both articles.

It has been rumored in the past that there would be a flyover type thing from the end of Super Highway and somehow over/around/through Wing 41 to connect back to the Super Highway (Ring Road 1 ?)

MSPain

Edited by hml367

There is a semi-related article right underneath the Chiang Mai Mail, Nimmanhemin Road article regarding traffic in Chiang Mai. Might be worthwhile looking at both articles.

It has been rumored in the past that there would be a flyover type thing from the end of Super Highway and somehow over/around/through Wing 41 to connect back to the Super Highway (Ring Road 1 ?)

I don't expect to see that in my lifetime.. (Specifically because the Air Force 'owns' that land, and in Thailand that means that any other branch of government no matter how high up has anything to say about it.) wink.png I do expect (well, hope for) some improvements to individual intersections, such as Rincome, Phucome and the Payom area.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't expect to see that in my lifetime.. (Specifically because the Air Force 'owns' that land, and in Thailand that means that any other branch of government no matter how high up has anything to say about it.) wink.png I do expect (well, hope for) some improvements to individual intersections, such as Rincome, Phucome and the Payom area.

The Royal Thai Air Force has a lot to do with much of the infrastructure construction in Thailand. The people in charge receive a lot of recognition for these projects.

When I first visited Chiang Mai, even the first ring road was not complete - still isn't actually a "ring". I would have been hard pressed to be able to make it around the second or third ring road, even thought they were there and called ring roads at the time. Now the 3 ring roads are much, much better and help with traffic - although not enough. Kind of like the elevated roadways in Bangkok - many people don't use them, although I suspect a lot of that is because they are toll ways.

My somewhat pessimistic optimism (is that correct?) is because of the apparent willingness of other countries to "invest" in Thailand's infrastructure. Drive around Chiang Rai if you have a chance.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

What the city needs is a public transport system. this has been mooted for many years, but has never happened due to lack of cash and political will. an 'x' shaped system going form the university to the railway station and another from Hang Dong to San Sai, with an interchange at Thapae would work. It could be mostly street level with a few elevated sections and the Thapae interchange possibly underground.

• Like 1

My bet is they put some thought into it and it might just work. Maybe inconvenient but if it eases the congestion - GREAT. I would think, pretty sure I'm correct on this one, the Thais in charge of traffic have a much better understanding of what "might" work.

What they have done at Huay Kaew rd the last 2 days is amazing. I would of thought it would create a mess but they eased congestion by 80%. From hellish traffic 12 hours each day to practically no traffic on the way to Doi Suthep. Now that all changes when near Doi Suthep but whatever.

• Like 1

One of the main benefits will be to Huay Kaew Road with the Rincome intersection lights on green 33% longer.

Not sure what will happen everywhere else though. Hopefully people heading north will use the Canal Road, but the road to the east will probably also need to go one way if this is to be successful.

I've seen some miraculous traffic management in Thailand, I think these guys know what they're doing.

Hi everyone,

Just to note, we saw the sign too. We contacted the Head of the Traffic Police which is issuing this order and were told that the street was going to be one way.

I won't comment on the discrepancy, its not my place to say, but again, we contacted them directly and this is what we were told.

We will all await and see what they finally decide to do.

They have put up cones on Nimman today as if they plan to enforce no parking but since people are currently parking in between the cones I guess we just have to wait and see what happens there too.

City Life published an interview with the new Mayor of CM over a year ago.

He said words to effect that the plan was to connect Super Highway via Nimman and then through Wing 41 to Mahidol Rd.

The Ampur could deal with with Nimman to Wing 41 and that Wing 41 would be a National Government decision out of CM control.

john

City Life published an interview with the new Mayor of CM over a year ago.

He said words to effect that the plan was to connect Super Highway via Nimman and then through Wing 41 to Mahidol Rd.

The Ampur could deal with with Nimman to Wing 41 and that Wing 41 would be a National Government decision out of CM control.

john

They bought and partly demolished the Suthep Rd properties needed for this but how could Nimmenhaemin cope with 4 lanes of SuperHighway traffic? It doesn't make sense unless an underpass/tunnel was built between north of Rincome and south of of Soi 17.

Major land-owners must know something we don't. whistling.gif

When the Superhighway was constructed, it was always intended that Nimmanhemin would simply be its continuation. Getting rid of the houses on at least one side of the road proved impossible, however.

Making NH one way seems a very sensible solution so long as Sirimankarajarn is made one way in the other direction, and the sois that side of NH are properly signposted. This will cause massive congestion for a short while, then every body will get to know the rules, and congestion will return to its normal level, except that it will be in slightly different places.

This will cause massive congestion for a short while, then every body will get to know the rules, and congestion will return to its normal level, except that it will be in slightly different places.

The traffic count will be the same. It will just be shunted onto small narrow side sois, and Sirimangkalajarn, which is an already congested 2 lane road.

Personally I'll wait and see the outcome, but I am not too hopeful.

• Like 1

They said the same when Phuket converted to a one-way system a few years ago.

Fact is, like Phuket, something needs to be done to solve the traffic problem. It's only going to get worse.

If those who make decisions are serious, then it will work.

I have faith.

Overall it's worth a try.

I think so, too; it can't continue as is. The other obvious problem is the waste of space anachronism that is Wing 41 and the luxury of having the airport right 'in' town. The latter needs to be plonked out east (near the outer) and the city is crying out more than ever for that mass transit down all main routes and subsequent curtailment of songthaews/tuk-tuks.

The airport itself doesn't attract too much traffic though; not compared to for example the Airport Plaza mall. The new malls will mean less pressure on the Airport intersection.

(And I love being able to get to the airport in under 10 minutes.. wink.png And a small, in-town airport is a blessing in many places, for example LaGuardia in New York.)

But I agree with the Wing 41 road.

And I also think the flyover at the Airport Plaza intersection misses a couple directions, specifically from the airport straight East.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The airport itself doesn't attract too much traffic though; not compared to for example the Airport Plaza mall. The new malls will mean less pressure on the Airport intersection.

(And I love being able to get to the airport in under 10 minutes.. wink.png And a small, in-town airport is a blessing in many places, for example LaGuardia in New York.)

But I agree with the Wing 41 road.

And I also think the flyover at the Airport Plaza intersection misses a couple directions, specifically from the airport straight East.

I agree!

I wonder if Wing 41 could be shifted to the western side of the runway, plenty of land there and the cost would be mitigated by part sale of existing land. Highway could even go partially underground using the cut and cover method and barely disrupt the existing base. There's plenty of land and many options so it will come down to consents from on high and .... allocation of funds.

NH road is due for major works, under-grounding power cables and street-scaping, later this year I believe ... or is it next year? No doubt they'll just get the street looking good, traffic flowing well and then rip it all up to complete the ring road .... coffee1.gif

Overall it's worth a try.

I think so, too; it can't continue as is. The other obvious problem is the waste of space anachronism that is Wing 41 and the luxury of having the airport right 'in' town. The latter needs to be plonked out east (near the outer) and the city is crying out more than ever for that mass transit down all main routes and subsequent curtailment of songthaews/tuk-tuks.

Your kidding right