Water Pump Surges Water Thru The Pipes, Not Steady Flow?

pianoman

I am not a "Handyman" type of person at all, and my first thought is that the pump (now 5 years old) is just ending it's useful life.... But I do not want to go out and purchase a new pump just to find that it does not solve the problem...

Any suggestions or help offered to this totally "UnHandy Man" would be greatly appreciated...

Pianoman

I've got a similar problem but only with my kitchen tap.

There's good flow from the pump to the shower, the toilet, the bathroom sink, and to the laundry hose.

But the flow at the kitchen tap pulses from a dribble to an acceptable flow. Can't figure it out.

Perhaps it's a similar difficulty? I know that the pump usually pulses if the flow isn't strong, so it clears the pipe before surging on again, but how does it work so well with all but one outlet?

OK, to pianoman, drain the pressure tank of water and pump up the bladder (if it has one) to the recommended pressure.

JusMe, drain your pressure tank as above, but also check the kitchen tap filter isn't blocked with crud. We have a small pump that surges on low flow as its pressure tank is really too small.

OK, to pianoman, drain the pressure tank of water and pump up the bladder (if it has one) to the recommended pressure.

JusMe, drain your pressure tank as above, but also check the kitchen tap filter isn't blocked with crud. We have a small pump that surges on low flow as its pressure tank is really too small.

Right after you shut off your pump, LOL. :)

• Like 1

Right after you shut off your pump, LOL. smile.png

555 NeverSure

Important step one, turn off power and water :)

Right after you shut off your pump, LOL. smile.png

555 NeverSure

Important step one, turn off power and water smile.png

Figured out that the pump needed to be off, but forgot turning off the water coming in from the street... A little wet, but I did figure it out eventually... Drained the water from the small tank under the pump, turned the water back on and then the pump, but still have the same problem... I have no idea how to "fill the bladder" with air...

Pianoman

Depends upon the model of your pump.

When you let the water out of the tank there needs to be a way for air to get in, could be a valve on the top of the tank that you open, or (like mine) a car type valve that you pump up with an air pump.

If "all" the water was allowed to drain out of the small tank the pump motor assembly was setting on, then air rushes into the tank through the drain plug; if all the water was not allowed to drain out then air did not enter the tank. After draining all the water from the tank, screw back in the drain plug, turn the water inlet back on, turn the pump power back on, and the pump/tank would automatically re-pressurize correctly. Trying to add air after the tank has refilled itself with water by removing one of the screw caps on the manifold assembly will not work properly...will not allow an adequate amount of air to enter the pressure tank since the tank is full of water...air must enter when the tank is completely empty of water.

The OP has not been really clear on what type of water pump he has but it sounds like it's just the type with a pump motor/manifold assembly setting on top of a small steel pressure tank...this type of tank does not have any rubber bladder. There would be nothing separating the air from the water like in how a bladder contains the water and keeps it separated from the air in surrounding steel tank. Therefore, an air control/balance value is needed to offset the amount of air that is naturally absorbed into the water which reduces the air charge over time unless a small amount of air is periodically added to the tank...this is done by a simple air balance/control valve. This value is usually a 4 or 6 sided device screwed into the top of the tank or manifold assembly and may also have a small, pencil size hose running into one end of it. Anyway, if working properly, during each pump on-off cycle it will add a very small amount of air to offset the very small amount of air naturally absorbed by the water which allows that pressurized air cushion/spring to be maintained on top of the water in the tank which smooths water pressure during pump on and off cycles and of course allows the pump to run a lot less....usually around 50% less. If this valve is not woking properly after correct tank air recharge this air charge will be absorbed into the water after a few weeks and you'll be back to surging pressure, pump running almost all the time, etc.

Now if the OP is talking about another type of pump that may have a separate, standalone pressure tank setting next to the pump or one of those constant pressure pumps with a small screw-on/1 liter size pressure vessel then some of above step-by-step info would not apply exactly....but still apply to basic operation/theory-wise.

Edited by Pib