Where To Find Travel Lock For Apartment Security

Frankie26

Security issue.

I've had some problems in my apartment building and I'm seeking advice on where to find a travel lock (or other recommendation) which I can use to make my apartment more secure.

During the day I've heard people jiggling the door handle to my apartment and bumping into my door (Huay Kaew Residence) but when I open it they're already gone.

Recently, I was home and workers unlocked my door and came in without knocking. The apartment didn't notify me the workers would be coming to my apartment to do maintenance.

I've also had a stranger bang on my door one evening.

I now keep the chain on during the day, but it's rather flimsy.

I wish there was something simple I could use for added security, especially when I'm out so I don't have to feel like I can't leave anything of value in my apartment.

You can buy a metal lock that covers your door knob and which has a large padlock hanging below it. The whole thing is very heavy and provides you with extra protection; easy to use. You can buy these at almost any of the large stores like Makro, Big C, Lotus etc. for around 300-500 baht. You'll find them where they sell padlocks.

But I'd suggest moving, given the facts you've provided.

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion!

The outside door lock sounds like a really good idea.

I'd prefer to move to another apartment but I'm in the middle of a short-term (3 month) lease and I would most likely lose advance rent and my securiity deposit (which I read in this forum can be a problem at my apartment).

Edited by Frankie26

I'd prefer to move to another apartment but I'm in the middle of a short-term (3 month) lease and I would most likely lose advance rent and my securiity deposit (which I read in this forum can be a problem at my apartment).

So there IS a price for your feeling of safety, security and comfort. Ok, I thought I read it the other way.

Be aware that there is a price to pay for using this sort of doorknob cover. Thieves will know immediately that the apartment is empty. They are very obvious even from a distance. While this may stop local workmen from entering using a key, often a quick hard shoulder can force an ordinary door lock and the thief be inside before any neighbor has time to look out their peep-hole.

There is a small travel lock made to secure doors from inside or out.I've used one for years, and it's quiet effective. You can use it inside or out, and although very strong and secure, it's almost invisible when attached outside, hidden behind the doorknob. There are two different types; one uses a key or padlock and works both inside or out, and the other uses only a squeeze 'ratchet' to be used inside only. The longer bar hooks into the door jam latch opening, then close the door and slide the flat plate down the bar sungly against the door and jam, and lock.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Would be interested in where to buy the 2 types of travel lock.

I did take a second door knob cover lock with me to a hotel in BKK recently, and even after I took out the lining of the cover, the cover still would not fit over the knob. Never had a problem before at that hotel, but evidently they have changed some doorknobs to a different size.

The door knob cover can be purchased at Kad Suan Kaew also.

There is also a locksmith at the mall (first shop on right as you go down into the moto-sai parking area from Huay Kaew Road). Maybe he would have some ideas.

I have been leaving my door knob cover on 24 hours....... Now I see that I could be inviting trouble while preventing it, yet in one year there at the same Huay Kaew Residence, no problems, blissed out at the silence.

....But perhaps I am in a different building, number 6. Frankie, I would be interested in what building you are in. Building 4 is for very short stays. Some rooms maybe cost 4000, 9000 bhat, and up, so I wonder if there is an economic class differentiation with safety.

Lastly the lady in the office furthest from the door is very helpful. I try to catch her when her boss is present, so she can translate for her boss, if I have a problem. They have taken care of me.

I do have an arrangement with one of the staff to take my mail and hold for me---for which I promise a tip. Have not lost anything since I did that.

All in all, I have not felt so safe in 35 years, now living in that area.

Yet there is another thread devoted to theis apartment complex, with many complaints.

Would be interested in where to buy the 2 types of travel lock.

The one that can be used inside OR out:

http://safetycentral.com/firwatpordoo.html

The one made for inside use only:

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/portable-door-lock-p-1150.html

But... I if you plan to only use it on your apartment door, you can put it on the outside. Drill a hole through the flat bar close to the ratchet, and use a padlock to prevent the ratchet from being released. When used with an inward moving door, put the hook into the lock side rather than the striker plate side.

Be aware that there is a price to pay for using this sort of doorknob cover. Thieves will know immediately that the apartment is empty. They are very obvious even from a distance. While this may stop local workmen from entering using a key, often a quick hard shoulder can force an ordinary door lock and the thief be inside before any neighbor has time to look out their peep-hole.

There is a small travel lock made to secure doors from inside or out.I've used one for years, and it's quiet effective. You can use it inside or out, and although very strong and secure, it's almost invisible when attached outside, hidden behind the doorknob. There are two different types; one uses a key or padlock and works both inside or out, and the other uses only a squeeze 'ratchet' to be used inside only. The longer bar hooks into the door jam latch opening, then close the door and slide the flat plate down the bar sungly against the door and jam, and lock.

Sadly, dedicated thieves and burglars can get through any lock. I've never had a problem with the door nob cover lock.

Sadly, dedicated thieves and burglars can get through any lock.

And that's a fact! All locks can do is slow them down, or if really lucky, get them to choose an easier target.

I've never had a problem with the door nob cover lock.

That's understandable. Most folks have never been robbed. Or shot. Or had their pocket picked or purse stolen. Most folks...

Thanks for the suggestion!

The outside door lock sounds like a really good idea.

Then why didnt you heed the advice about this residence instead of seeing if it was true coffee1.gif

Get a discreet camera with recorder at Pantip and you may be surprised what goes on when you're gone.

I have the same issue of unannounced entries when I stay at hotels in Thailand. So far, it's always been innocent with nothing missing when I am gone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to all the trouble of installing a really secure one, why not just get a locksmith to put a new lock on? I realise you're only going to be there a short time, but if you have things of value and you're worried, it will be worth the money.

• Like 2

If you're going to all the trouble of installing a really secure one, why not just get a locksmith to put a new lock on? I realise you're only going to be there a short time, but if you have things of value and you're worried, it will be worth the money.

Or buy a screw driver & a new lock & DIY.