Thai Guys

Fraktalkid

Hey guys!

Maybe some of you out there might know.. I'm leaving London and moving to Phuket (Chalong Bay area) in October.. I've got a good friend who lives there who's gonna put me up for a while until I stretch on my own two feet (and learn a bit of the language, etc). But I was wondering, where does one go to meet interesting guys? I came to visit last year and had a FANTASTIC time in Thailand.

I'm young (22) but not really a scene oriented bloke.. Patong gave me a headache and my only memory of my visit there was 'everything bad about western culture crammed into 3 roads'. Quite frankly I found the place to be really sad. So I guess the question I have is:

Is there a scene in Phuket outside of Patong? Where do all the nice guys hang out? I think my friend's thai girlfriend has plans on matchmaking me with her gay friends?! :-) Is this common?

TIA,

Rich xx

You'll be a catch!!!

Becareful of who you are matched with. There are some genuine guys here but a lot are out for what they can get. If you have that in the back of your mind then you should be ok.

Just out of interest what will you do when you are here, for work I mean?

Hey there :o

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate that! Also very sweet of you to say! *blush*

Oooh man, I can't tell you how excited I am about the relocation! Well, ok, I'm a new media techie bloke type person.. I've got several existing London-based clients that I provide hosting and development services for to give myself a small residual income.. in the first 12 months, I'm planning on launching 3 fairly substantial new web projects that I'm hoping will develop into good money making opportunities. Initially I'm gonna be staying with my friends (he's also a techie) as they've got a spare room... maybe get a bigger house with them.. not too sure yet.

I'm thinking that for the first month a lot of my time will be spent doing intensive Thai language lessons (been teaching myself here the characters and after two weeks I can now recognise and sound out about 15 Thai consonants and 7 of the vowels, which I guess is a start?) I'd also like to take a few breaks away on some Buddhist courses as well.. and make more friends.. usual stuff I guess?

Does that all sound like a sensible plan or would it appear that I'm being overly ambitious?

I'd be really grateful to hear about some of your experiences out there How do you find the scene, attitudes towards western people and gay westerners in particular, what you do for work, interesting things you've come across, etc.

Guest IT Manager

Sounds like a very good plan to me. Suspect most people (not all), don't prepare themselves as thoroughy as you seem to have done.

Good luck with your move.

:o

Sounds great Fraktalkid,

you remember the saying...failing to plan is planning to fail?

Well, done.

The best advice I can give you is keep us up to date :o

It is exciting to hear when new people come to the LoS, but even better to hear about how they are getting on when they are here.

Thanks for your support guys! :o I really appreciate your votes of confidence - makes me feel a bit more confident knowing that I'm thinking in the right general direction! I guess it's all just one BIG adventure when you make the decision one day to abandon your life in the Western world for something a little bit different?

I'll definately keep you posted - and I'm on the lookout for some interesting friends in Thailand if anyone's volunteering for the position? *cheeky grin*

BTW, when does the Thai equivalent of Pride happen? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Very good question Roger - 3 month tourist visa initially (from Thai Embassy in UK) followed by a 1 year non-immigrant work visa (friend runs a company, will put me on the board of directors) That sound cool to you? :D

Well, I just thought I'd let you know - events have changed rather quickly October has now morphed into April!!!

Does anyone know anyone in Chiang Mai?? I'd REALLY like to visit for a 2 or 3 days about a month after I arrive, but I don't know anyone up there :o

Gosh, I'm SO excited! *pretends to do cartwheel flip* :D

I can't talk about Phucket as I haven't been there yet. Hope to soon. As far as being an out gay in Thailand, its not too bad. The Thai population just accept you for what you are. I live and run two businesses with my bf in Pattaya. He is a director of the company too. We are just accepted, end of it. You do get 'looks'. The Thai's will look at us when we are out shopping etc. and whisper to each other sometimes. Its aimed more at the bf then me. Nothing really nasty, just the usual "look at that gay guy with the farang" sort of thing I guess. Had one nasty incident only last week, see my post called "Trouble at Tops"

As far as meeting guys is concerned, most guys you meet will be involved in the bar scene I think its safe to say. If there not involved now, then they probally would have been in the past. These tend to be moneyboys, so beware. They are not all the same, my bf for example is not a moneyboy. However I am lucky and for every one of me there are 10 who are not lucky. Don't be fooled by the smiles and sweet talk. I don't want to put you off, just educate you :o.

If you are ever in Pattaya, I'm more than happy to meet up with you, and my bf will certainly give you his views on them working guys...enlightening!!!

As far as Pride is concerned, you've missed em all, sorry. Pattaya is probally the biggest and is at the end of Nov, beg Dec. Phuket is in Jan (I think) and bkk is before Pattaya's, around Oct/Nov. Why don't you also visit www.pattayagay.com it'll give you a lot of info, although it is Pattaya based, a lot of the advice is good for all of Thailand.

Good luck

John x

Fractalkid" A good place to educate yourself about Thai men is in gay.com chat room "bangkok" .

Talking with the participants in an alert manner will soon teach you to discern who is a "moneyboy" and who isn't. The percentage of "moneyboys" is far less there than in a bar.

One good discerning question to ask someone in the chat room who denies being a money boy is "If we get together forever, how much allowance would you need?"

The advantage of meeting guys in that chat room is that they have some facility with the English language and that critical element is eliminated from your search.

An additional advantage in meeting in that "room" is your judment is not being impared by alcohol or a rampaging guided muscle.

I have a friend who went through a couple of hundred interested Thai guys in about three months before he narrowed the field down to four, and then met them one by one upon his arrival in Thailand. May I say he is now happily married to choice #1.

Be sure and include in your bio line that you are moving to Thailand to live and are interested in a LTR.

Good luck.

P.S. PM me if you don't feel you are already "armed and ready" and I will be happy to answer any question you may have. Cheers.

Wow, some excellent advice! I thought I'd share with you: I went and created a gay.com profile, and then entered the Bangkok chatroom. Within 10 seconds I had about 20 guys all saying hello to me.. windows popping up everywhere!

good lord! It was pretty obvious that some were 'moneyboys', but after spending a couple of hours there I'm really pleased as I've made 5 'friends' - 1 in Phuket, 2 in Bangkok, 1 in KL and 1 in Perlis (Malaysian border state with Thailand). :o I was chatting to another farang in the room and he was telling me a bit about it the etiquette of the room; he also confirmed a lot of what you both said.

Tell me, would you agree overall that Malay proficiency with English is much higher than Thai proficiency? I mean, I really respect these Thai guys learning English - based on the small efforts that I've been making learning Thai, I'm beginning to think that the two languages are complete polar opposites!??

Shame I missed Pride... but there is a chance that I'll be arriving near Songkhran! *ducks out the way*

John - thanks for your invitation to meet up with you in Pattaya - I might just take you up on that offer! :D I've just been reading your post as well.. that's unbelievable.. who does he think he is acting that way in a foreign country?!

Anyway, I better start packing my suitcase! :D

Rxx