23-Year-Old Briton Shot Dead At Countdown Party On Haad Rin Beach: Koh Phangan

The year of Miracle Thailand.

Twice as many gun murders per year than the US and a population a quarter of the size.

is this true? i guess you're saying per head of population?just interested,have you got figures and source?

I think his facts are all up the <deleted>, but then who worries about accuracy anyway.....

Recent figures were published, I believe in the BK Post, that on a recent list of country's with the most murders per capita Thailand came in at number 3. USA was Number 8

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Twice as many gun murders per year than the US and a population a quarter of the size.

is this true? i guess you're saying per head of population?just interested,have you got figures and source?

I think his facts are all up the <deleted>, but then who worries about accuracy anyway.....

Recent figures were published, I believe in the BK Post, that on a recent list of country's with the most murders per capita Thailand came in at number 3. USA was Number 8

My mistake! I should have said 'murders by gun'

Edited by metisdead
: Reply repaired, when replying to a quoted post, make your reply outside the quote tags.

this may be the reference RIP. best to know the laws of the land

Showing latest available data. Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif # 1 sf.gifSouth Africa: 31,918

# 2 co.gifColombia: 21,898

# 3 th.gifThailand: 20,032

# 4 us.gifUnited States: 9,369

# 5 rp.gifPhilippines: 7,708

# 6 mx.gifMexico: 2,606

# 7 lo.gifSlovakia: 2,356

# 8 es.gifEl Salvador: 1,441

# 9 zi.gifZimbabwe: 598

# 10 pe.gifPeru: 442

This data is obviously wrong. The source provided for the number of gun homicides on this site in Thailand is a Wikipedia page. Wikipedia shows its source to be a UN body, collecting data on gun homicides; http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/Homicide/Homicides_by_firearms.xls

Funny enough, Thailand is not in the list. Thailand is in the list on the same UN body for overall murder rate; http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/crime/Homicide_statistics2012.xls

Thailand a number of murders has been dropping over the years, 2011 figures showing a total of 3307.

Thailand's murder rate per capita is slightly lower than that of the US. Still pretty high, but not nearly as extreme as the nation master site makes it out to be; 70 gun murders per day?! And people blindly believe it. Some of you should work for the nation or Bangkok post. They also never check sources.

Other data from nation master can be traced back to sources from the early nineties. Utter nonsense page, is all I can say. Somewhere along the line of copying data, a decimal point got misplaced, and nobody checked and corrected.

• Like 2

Some 10,000 tourists visit that beach during the moon parties, (used to be full moon, but then it was black moon and maybe now the moon is no longer important). There will always be the odd incident when that many essentially drunken party goers get together. It is surprising amazing that not more incidents occur.

The parties bring several million dollars onto the island every month.

This income stream will never be stopped.

But only because of the legality of drugs.

"legality of drugs." ??? availability of drugs

Posts deleted. Lets do remember the forum rules.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

• Like 2

See for yourself. http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms They're not my facts, they're THE FACTS.

Let me know if you need to borrow a big bag of sand to stick your head in.

No. That data is incorrect as has been explained elsewhere in this thread.

• Like 1

I think it's time these incidents were more widely published. Thailand is a major tourist destination and almost no-one knows how dangerous it is. Perhaps if evidence was discovered that points to a cover-up by Thai authorities, the resultant lawsuits against foreign representatives of Thai tourism companies would change their minds.

Most gun crime is Thai on Thai though of coarse forangs do get caught up it just makes bigger news when a foreigner is involved

They say a young thai man done it but a dark looking Asia. Could be from anywhere in all fairness

Unless they already know who he is

Could be Cambodian Indian Japanese English European American

A night where there are lots of fireworks makes gun crime much easier to do

I am truly amazed that Thailand is number 3 in the world for gun deaths. That, plus the terrorist war in the south does not get the publicity they deserve amongst the overseas tourist markets.

The Aussie travel agent murdered at Phuket last year, certainly hit the news in Australia, prompting friends and family to ask me just how safe it is to live here. sad.png

Well maybe .I wouldn't trust your advice here though .I have had confrontations in Thailand and never died ,but then again I'm not meek..This tourist was just unlucky ,wrong place ,right time.

Good for you! We're all so very proud about how brave you are in the face of conflict! clap2.gif

• Like 1

When you're in someone else's country, it's best to keep a low profile and not argue with the locals. It's their country and as this incident shows, you really don't know who you're <deleted> with,

I agree, but it's still possible to get into trouble as even the best-behaved visitor in SE Asia. Thailand has changed significantly in the last 20 years, and a lot of people seem to be unable to grasp this. I would feel safer in Bogota than Patong at this point.

One might consider that sad fact that young males have a much better chance of violent death that females worldwide. Once an inquisitive mind absorbs this statistic, the answer is clear.

I learned my lesson early on - will young yobs do the same? Not in this lifetime.

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.

When you're in someone else's country, it's best to keep a low profile and not argue with the locals. It's their country and as this incident shows, you really don't know who you're <deleted> with,

And they resent many of us, as we not only have some cash, but we also have the most beautiful women, who want little to do with them.

Are you kidding? Most foreign men take the women that Thai men don't want. Often dark-skinned with kids and over 30!

And who gave them those kids...............oh yeah the useless Thai Father

Sure, I have some 'stats' that will no doubt be debated. http://www.nationmas...icides-firearms which shows that Thailand is the clear number 1 when it comes to the percentage of murders by firearm, and this http://www.nationmas...per-100-000-pop which shows the homicide rate by firearm per capita. Here's the biggie http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

All from the same site. We were taught to get our information from completely different sources, and then compare. Much as I'd love to shove this information in someone else's face, I don't want to lose mine if it isn't 'up to date'.

British man shot dead at Thai New Year beach party

BANGKOK, Jan 1, 2013 (AFP) - A 22-year-old British tourist was shot dead as he danced at a New Year party on one of Thailand's most famous islands after a fight between rival Thai gangs erupted on the beach, police said on Tuesday.

The holidaymaker was killed when a Thai man opened fire at a bar on the island of Koh Phangan in southern Thailand in the early hours of the morning.

"He was shot in the side while he was dancing on the beach," local policeman Lieutenant Colonel Somsak Noorod told AFP, adding the area had been packed with revellers during the evening's New Year celebrations.

Police believe the gunman was aiming at members of a rival gang.

Phangan is a resort island in the Gulf of Thailand neighbouring Koh Samui and draws thousands of backpackers to its famous full moon parties.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-01-01

• Like 1

And they resent many of us, as we not only have some cash, but we also have the most beautiful women, who want little to do with them.

Are you kidding? Most foreign men take the women that Thai men don't want. Often dark-skinned with kids and over 30!

If they've got big money they desire them big time.

See for yourself. http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms They're not my facts, they're THE FACTS.

Let me know if you need to borrow a big bag of sand to stick your head in.

CHECK YOUR FACTS. According to a UN study carried out in 2012 http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_ratethe total number of murders in Thailand was 3,300 by all methods with a rate of 4.8 and the total for US was 4 times higher but with a lower rate at 4.2

• Like 1

You have absolutely no idea of how or why he was shot!

A series of shots fired by a drunk Thai youth...............probably the Brits fault for walking into the bullet as happened in the Bangkok protests !

• Like 2

I presume that you live up in the hill country ?

according to this tally its twice the amount of deaths so considering Thailand has 1/6th the population then its what 12 times higher rate of gun homicide.

Seems quite high but maybe thats what he was referencing.

http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

So it's confirmed indeed: really frightening to see that Thailand has the third place in the world! Really to be proud of... It doesn't surprise me neither that the army, when called in for kicking the red shirts out of the Rachaphrasong area in 2010 after two months of illegal occupation, used life ammunition knowing that Thailand has the number three position in the world in killings with fire-arms! Even though Abhisit and Suthep Thaugsuban have not been convinced as "murderers" yet and do not make up for the statistics, which would bring Thailand in the first position....